Gorillas are showing signs of learning to talk

Dumb joke, this is some pretty major stuff. Humans made a huge leap in evolution when speech was first learned. The implications of this are pretty huge. People don't realize that homo sapiens weren't the only intelligent apes out there, there were a few on our level or close but they died out for various reasons, we bottlenecked ourselves so it could have just as easily been us. This might be our connection with the natural world on a very personal level like we've never seen before. If this is possible, marine mammals could be next. Whales and dolphins are capable of human like speech if we can teach it to them, and this lets us know that it's possible to at least teach animals speech.

Koko is pretty amazing, her vocabulary in sign language is incredibly impressive and she has shown some startling intelligence and emotion. There's another gorilla educated by the same people that shows some real promise. I can only imagine what we could achieve with real funding.

It's nothing new.

Have apes just now been, as scientists say 'learning to talk,' or have they been using grunts, yells, growls, and other forms of vocal communication to get their point across. Their main form of communication is body language and reading facial expressions.

And it's been like this for thousands of years. There hasn't been any sudden jump into the evolutionary process. Just another scientist trying to become famous by saying what 'could' happen, and in the world of science, that's where the money is.

On a side subject, here's a dog displaying it's ability to learn to talk.

[Yt]qXo3NFqkaRM[/MEDIA]

Soon, we won't be able to own them, because they'll be walking among us as equals.

I see what you're saying, but this is an animal that has grasped a ton of human language and concepts, it's not grunting and it knows what it's doing. There is a difference between communication and speech.

I see what you're saying, but this is an animal that has grasped a ton of human language and concepts, it's not grunting and it knows what it's doing. There is a difference between communication and speech.

What happens with speech/language, is that the brain is scaffolded. Think of a feral child without learning language.

We know that apes can introspect in a sense. They can problem solve in their heads. Like they put one in a cage, and put a bunch of objects scattered over, and there is a banana hanging from the ceiling. He has to use those objects to get it. He goes through trial and error. He puts these things together. Like they gave him some kind of stick, or stuff that could be used to climb. The tests were getting increasingly difficult, and the ape was stuck on one. He couldn't figure out how to get the banana with the objects, so he sat down in the corner, and just looked around for a while. And then he got up and solved it. He was thinking about it in his head while sitting down. Solved it in his head, and then got up and did it. He was "reflecting" in a sense. Thinking. Reasoning.

Humans have been called "the choking primate". We have anatomy designed for speech, that also makes us susceptible to choking. Other animals don't have that.

We also know that many animals have an innate concept of quantity. Like if you put 30 random dots on a screen, and then shut if off real quick, some animals are about as good at humans at "intuitive math." Knowing the quantity of the dots. It is only when humans are allowed to reason, they perform better. But one flash of quantity on the screen, animals are comparable to us there.

They should perform this same experiment with the scientists. They murdered something it loved to teach it that it will die? What's the point? Fucking psychopaths. I remember way back when there was some experiment where they were bashing monkey's against walls to test the effects of pain. Some shit I could go my whole life without knowing and be glad i did.

Edit: See this was fake now. The problem is that it is so believable because a hell of a lot worse has been done for real.

They need to grow a voice box first

Apes will start to speak at about the same time birds can do sign language

they have vocals cords and a "voice box"

google is your friend also science

What a bunch of assholes.

HAHA, that's what I was thinking. Hey gorilla, you are a pretty smart one, wanna know a secret? We're all going to die.

GixYg5T.jpg

theres a lot of controversy surrounding koko but kanzis the real deal

also thisll break ur hearts (koko lost her kitten & robin williams)

We need to shoot that fucking gorrila now before it reproduces. Fuck sharing dominance. Although it would be funny seeing Gorilla communities thriving more Islmaic savages.

theres a lot of controversy surrounding koko but kanzis the real deal

also thisll break ur hearts (koko lost her kitten & robin williams)

They gave her another one, right?:icon_cry2

I guarantee there are a ton of animals much brighter than our current state of mind, just look at the ant colonies they can feed there entire ant population and not let anyone starve or go homeless in their mounds of underground genius. The humans however.............................

Back