gorilla fight gear apeman training gloves

maravillin

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have had the pleasure of training with these gloves for the last week. There is an extremely good review done by another sherdogger floating around, so im not gonna reiterate his meticulous details. I will however give my insights and answer any questions to the best of my ability.

The first day i took em to the gym i sparred with them. This is the ONLY glove i have ever been able to do this with, all other gloves ive used (twins,top king, triumph united thai silencer, ASU elite models) required a break in period with top king requiring the most and American stand up requiring the least. thE padding was perfect right outta the box and the ergonomics are unlike any glove i have experienced. The profile of these gloves is smaller than 12 oz fairtex and rajas I compared next to in the gym and the padding is perfect as none of my sparring partners complained and i even let one of my partners use em against me just to test it out! The wrist support is top notch as well

to be honest the only thing i would do to make these better is to use an industrialstrength velcro like boon uses. not saying the gfg's have bad velcro, just that its the only area, in my humble opinion, were a different manufacturer has an advantage

Starting to hear some really nice things about GFG, always wanted to try their gloves. Mainly because they're a Canadian brand but now probably because they sound so good. What type of gloves are they modeled after? In your opinion are the apeman similar to any other gloves on the market?

to be completley honest i have yet to come across any other glove like it..theyre patterned after olympic boxing style gloves, perhaps top ten, but i have not used these. perhaps the coolest aspect of or the GFG company is the fact the proprietor actually takes highly regarded products, takes em apart, and studies em, then takes the best apect of each and improves on them and builds his products..i think thats dope

I am currently using 16 oz Rival RS1 Long Cuff for sparring.

Would this be a step backwards if I were to purchase it or is it just completely different ergonomically?

sorry i dont have any experience with rival...but i do like their gear

these are totally different then the rival rs1 it would be like comparing apples to oranges. Ad to say which is better that would be up to your personal taste in what you like in your glove.

it's been a while since i had a RS1 in front of me but here are some of the things i can remember.

the apeman training glove were a bit softer, had more padding over the knuckles, smaller contact surface, more ridgid cuf area (cast like support) , easier to open a fist.

while the rival rs1 looked flashier, was easier to make a fist but harder to open your fist (maybe it's hard o remember), had denser foam, could get tighter in the cuff area (lace up)

again i don't have one in front of me but that is what i remember

Last edited:
Hey Mike, would GFG be making a gorilla version of the more popular gloves like japanese style (winnings or TU heatseekers), grant boxing gloves or the imfs from ringside?

yes we will later this fall just keep an eye out for our silverback training glove it will be similar to the IMF tech gloves in certain aspects. At the moment we are just trying to figure out if we want to go with a true 2.5inches of padding (which alot of sites advertize IMF techs to have) or stick to the 2inches that ringside actually has, and with a few other changes of course. As for the other gloves you have mentioned we are probably going to start doing surveys to see what people like and dislike about their current gloves, and using that info to create our own gloves. In a way I'd prefer to have products that are unique and are hard to compare with then just trying to clone gear.

Back