Gorilla Fight Gear "Apeman" Gold Weave BJJ Gi (A quick review)

K

Keej613

Hey folks!

My new Apeman gi from Gorilla Fight Gear just got delivered!

I haven't used it yet but I figured I'd post my initial reactions before training in it (tomorrow).

• It looks great!
  • The fabric feels extremely durable and high-quality and yet is is somewhat soft to the touch. It's definitely less thick than a double weave or high-end judo gi but it nonetheless feels like it will last for a very long time.
  • The stitching is impeccable.
  • The collar on the top is very thick and feels very resistant.
  • I told Mike (GFG's owner) my approximate height, weight and body type and he recommended EXACTLY the right size. It fits great! I won't even need to hem the pants or sleeves!
  • The drawstring system on the pants is very convenient and simple.
  • The pants are snug enough to be right for BJJ but still loose enough that they aren't constrictive at all. I tried a few higher knees and kicks while wearing them and they don't limit my kicking range at all.

I'm still new to jiu-jitsu so my input is limited. Because of that, I'll be posting my instructors' and training partners' comments about my new gi after our training session tomorrow night. Collectively, they've probably owned 100+ gis together of various types (JJJ, BJJ, Judo, Karate, etc) so they're in a better position to judge the Apeman. I'll also have rolled around and sweated in it for 2+hours by then so I'll be able to post up some additional reactions.

So far so good though!

blueBJJGis.JPG

Good post!

I can't wait to get mine...I check the mail everyday.

Edit: It arrived!

Last edited:
Well, this is my first gi so I can't really compare it to anything but I did own a Century double weave that I never used. The Century wast he absolute worst thing in the world, was so thick it could probably stop bullets. The Apeman material is soft yet strong. I feel like I want to rub it all over my body. Wait, maybe not that soft.

So, all the pieces come individually bagged and very professionally folded. The gi looks very clean except there are quite a few black threads stuck to the gi top and pants that I had to go around and just pull off with my fingers. Probably from the embroidering process.

I'm 5'9 and 190lbs with a uh, "healthy build" and the kimono A2 is just slightly too large and the sleeves down to the center of my palms. I imagine with a washing, it will shrink down perfectly. I thought the belt would be too long at first but once I tied it, it fit perfectly around me. It was strong and did not seem like it would come undone easily after I wore it in some.

The gi looks very sharp, especially for the pricepoint and ontop of that the initial discount. If I trained more than one day and wasn't broke, I'd buy a second one. What I would do with it? Who knows. Maybe wear it to get the mail, but it doesn't matter because the GFG Apeman gi is bananas.

Stratamagnus - yeah that was one of the issues we had with the restock the A1 to A3 in white are not preshrunk and this A2 should shrink nicely for your height weight.

Keej613 - did you geta chance to roll in it yet?

Mike - Gorilla Fight Gear

Jus tto clarify, the on sale restocks, they are cut oversize to accomodate shrinkage correct? I don't want it shrinking too small on me but 60 plus shipping for a gold weave I can't resist.

yes the only the restocked White A1, A2, and A3 are cut bigger and will shrink down and other issues where no rope drawstring (just the traditional drawstring), and some (not all) knee reinforcements are preshrunk creating more wrinkles after the pants shrink but if you don't normally iron your gi that you'd never notice. however the sherdog clearance price applies to all apeman gis not just te restocked one

We've been having like a tropical depression here in Florida so I can't wash and hang-dry it outside lol

Been using the gi ever since and it's holding up great, still looks and feels great, gets loads of compliments from my training partners and instructors, etc! I love it! No regrets at all!

Back