Gordon Ryan passing guard on fresh guys for 35 mins and explaining his passing system

mataleaos

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
On his upcoming passing dvd set he will narrate over top of these rolls that were filmed today. Basically he combines 3 types of passing to keep the guard player constantly reacting.

Last edited:
Haven't watched this yet, I'm going to today.

I'll be purchasing his guard passing set for sure.

Can't wait for that one, just hope it's not a 197$ 8 dvd set. I would love to have that much content but Danaher already bled me dry.

I also think that having a lot of live sparring videos will be very constructive for a subject like guard passing. There's a lot of guard passing techniques instructionnals out there but guard passing is a lot more about decision making, keeping balance, posting, reactions...

I'll probably pick it up. He's the first guy to come up in a strong leg locking environment to have success as a passer, that's worth a lot.

My enthusiasm about this DVD is diminished by the fact that it is BJJ Fanatics.. worst customer service ever. Just had a DVD show up today that I ordered on 11/27 - I had to open a PayPal dispute to get them to ship it - and the DVD arrived defective!

This isn't even the first (or second) issue I have had with them.

They have some good content -just wish they would get their act together

I agree with you about BJJ Fanatics customer service. I had the same issues with the Craig Jones DVDs I bought last year. Had to email them three times before I got any shipping information. They didn't reply to my last email. I will never buy anything from them again. I also don't like their website design and the fake sale prices.

I wish a lot of these guys were using Digitsu instead. At least Digitsu knows how to send products in a timely manner.

I'll probably pick it up. He's the first guy to come up in a strong leg locking environment to have success as a passer, that's worth a lot.
Gordon was mentioning on another video this week (I can't find it for some reason) that at blue and purple he initially mimicked Keenan's no-gi style almost to the letter because they were both tall and lanky. He said that doing Keenan's passing style was his go-to (a lot of standing toreando style passes) but that Garry and Eddie were able to tangle his legs up too easily. He said John Danaher had been thinking about a style of passing that would work good against leg lockers that involved inside foot positioning but that he hadn't made a system out of it yet.

I agree with you about BJJ Fanatics customer service. I had the same issues with the Craig Jones DVDs I bought last year. Had to email them three times before I got any shipping information. They didn't reply to my last email. I will never buy anything from them again. I also don't like their website design and the fake sale prices.

I wish a lot of these guys were using Digitsu instead. At least Digitsu knows how to send products in a timely manner.
I prefer Digitsu as well (by a long shot actually) I'll be fair to BJJ Fanatics and say the one time I had any issue with their products they replied to my email the same day and fixed the issue for me ASAP

Gordon was mentioning on another video this week (I can't find it for some reason) that at blue and purple he initially mimicked Keenan's no-gi style almost to the letter because they were both tall and lanky. He said that doing Keenan's passing style was his go-to (a lot of standing toreando style passes) but that Garry and Eddie were able to tangle his legs up too easily. He said John Danaher had been thinking about a style of passing that would work good against leg lockers that involved inside foot positioning but that he hadn't made a system out of it yet.

For dealing with a leg heavy style I think either the leg splitting standing style or a lower level, hip control style like Yuri Simoes plays seem to be your only viable options. I'd imagine you could get leg drag to work as well, though I haven't seen anyone really do it and even if you did it would still involve starting from a leg split position.

Catching Rafa in a leg lock while he does his leg drag dances seem hard.

It was on the lastest bjj fanatics podcast.

I'm looking forward to this video set much more after listening to this podcast, his breakdown was great

Last edited:
My enthusiasm about this DVD is diminished by the fact that it is BJJ Fanatics.. worst customer service ever. Just had a DVD show up today that I ordered on 11/27 - I had to open a PayPal dispute to get them to ship it - and the DVD arrived defective!

I'm having this issue with them as we speak - I ordered the Marcelo butterfly dvd/online combo the day it came out (over a month ago) and I still haven't received the physical dvd. Every time I inquire about it they just say some stuff about changing shipping companies and that I should for the time being just watch the online version.

The fuck, that is not the point. I'm going to be talking to my credit card company ASAP about it.

I was excited about the north south choke from marcelo but fuck that I'm not supporting them if this is how they do business.

Bernado and his team are straight up gimmicky.

I'm having this issue with them as we speak - I ordered the Marcelo butterfly dvd/online combo the day it came out (over a month ago) and I still haven't received the physical dvd. Every time I inquire about it they just say some stuff about changing shipping companies and that I should for the time being just watch the online version.

The fuck, that is not the point. I'm going to be talking to my credit card company ASAP about it.

I was excited about the north south choke from marcelo but fuck that I'm not supporting them if this is how they do business.
You do realize there’s a pandemic going across the world dont you?

which is why so glad got that site its all on the computer just click the vids individually per technique not needing the disk

which is why so glad got that site its all on the computer just click the vids individually per technique not needing the disk
I'm probably going to go for it.

I e-mailed them earlier (bbj fanatics) and have not heard back.

I've already e-mailed them 3 times and today was the 4th.

Won't feel bad since they cannot even give two hoots about customer service.

Back