Gordon Ryan is currently the best No-Gi grappler in the world, Change my Mind

O

Overtures

His record is stronger than anyone else's, sure he has losses, but in general, the record is superior. His win to loss ratio combined with his quality of wins sets him apart.

RL_5.JPG

Pena is the king right now, till proven wrong.

Gordon comes second, till he beats pena

Pena beat him but perhaps Gordan has surpassed him who knows

Let me ask this, Buchecha Vs Gordon, no gi, who takes it?

Buchecha brings size/power/athleticism that gordon has never experienced.

Buchecha brings size/power/athleticism that gordon has never experienced.

Which is worth not much in a sub only match. Size and power, you said, he just took Barnett, who’s bigger and probably stronger than buchecha...

I don’t think think any of those will be such determinant factor, I do think it will be a great match, but buchechas no gi is not on pair with his gi game...

Size and power, you said, he just took Barnett, who’s bigger and probably stronger than buchecha...
Barnett might be fatter the buchecha but I would be super surprised if he was stronger on the mat.

Barnett might be fatter the buchecha but I would be super surprised if he was stronger on the mat.

Josh is an elite mma fighter and a elite grappler, I hardly think buchecha is stronger than josh.

Josh is an elite mma fighter and a elite grappler, I hardly think buchecha is stronger than josh.

He is 40, fat and doesn't train in the gi (which is a more strength oriented sport than mma).

I think Pena's better by a slight margin but I'll play devil's advocate one time and give what I think is the best argument why Gordon could be seen as being better.

Setting aside Gordon's 2 losses to Pena, it's possible to potentially be the best in a sport but have one rival that you just can't beat. The strongest arguments for Gordon being the best are his frequency of competition and strength of schedule.

Gordon has done a lot more no gi matches than Pena has (3x as many in a shorter time span), and has faced better opposition on average. I could see an argument that Gordon is better at submitting high level no gi opponents than Pena is.

Edit bjj heroes info may not be 100% right but

Pena has done 30 no gi matches since 2013: 18 ADCC rules matches, 9 IBJJF no gi matches, and 3 ACB no gi matches. His win/loss record for no gi is 27 and 3. Out of those 27 wins he has 15 subs. The biggest names Pena has subbed are Buchecha, Gordon, and DJ Jackson.

Ryan has done 89 no gi matches since 2015. 12 ADCC rules matches, 16 IBJJF no gi matches, and more EBI and sub-only style rule sets than I care to count. His win/loss record for no gi is 83 and 6. Out of those 84 wins he has 75 by submission. The biggest names Gordon has subbed (not counting EBI overtimes) are Barral, Cyborg, Yuri, Keenan (2x), Aly, Vagner, Duarte, and Jones (2x).

Last edited:
Let me ask this, Buchecha Vs Gordon, no gi, who takes it?
I am betting against Gordon without the gi against anybody besides Pena. I used to study a lot of Buchecha's no gi matches and his style is very frantic and overwhelming. He plays fast and frankly a little bit loose. He likes to literally dive on necks and feet a lot as well. I don't know what the current size difference is between them but I actually think Gordon is a very bad style match up for Buchecha without the gi. Gordon does very well against people that have that frantic fast paced style.

I don't need to change your mind, I agree with you. Certainly an argument can be made for Pena, but Gordon's been much more active on the no-gi circuit and has racked up some very impressive wins since his last loss to Pena. I'll note too that while Pena has beaten Gordon head to head, Pena also lost to Yuri that ADCC and Yuri should also be in the running. I'd say Gordon, Pena, and Yuri are the very top elite right now.

He is 40, fat and doesn't train in the gi (which is a more strength oriented sport than mma).

Yeah he is fat, but to say slmone is stronger than an elite mma fighter which is way more strength Orientated than Jiu Jitsu is quite silly. Not only that, people feel strong on the mat due to the pressure and weight distribution, not due to grips strength... Barnett’s grappling style is pressure, not fast scrambles. I imagine with Barnett’s size and grappling style dude must feel like a truck on top, of not, ask dean lister.

josh over all may b stronger than him but barnetts pretty slow with his movements passing ect. and when he gets put on his back he cant really do much at all vs ryan. buchecha is fast plus strong, and can fight off his back very well too. once ryan got that butterfly sweep that was all she wrote was just a matter of time

Back