Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill Review

Noma came 2nd this year. This place is top now...

http://www.cellercanroca.com/index.htm

I'll be doing my 3rd trip to Copenhagen in the new year and I'm gonna try damn hard to get to Noma. Did you see Parts Unknown this week? Dayyyyyyum. I think Noma's a little too relaxed service wise to get that 3rd Michelin star, you need to snooty waiter offering you water every 3 seconds to get that shit.

I'm late!
And yeah, i saw it and loved it. I'm a big fan of Redzepi and Bourdain is the shit, so i was pumped for the episode. If you're lucky enough to eat there, please post a review.

I was in Vegas last week and had a meal at Ramsay's place at Caesar's.

The decore was fine, nothing special. The tall stools with no back were annoying, difficult to really get confortable.

Service was slow and unhelpful. One women in our party asked if the Caesar salad was enough for a meal, and the waitress answered "its a letus salad ...... with letus ....". I asked her to recommend a stout. The look I received reminded me of when I moved my dog's food bowl.

The food! I had the lamb burger, and it came out rare, though the menu said it is served medium-well. I sent it back. Another person in our party had bangers and mash. Good- but very greasy. Our party member who asked about the salad, ordered the salad and enjoyed it.

We skipped desert.

There were positives. Our waitress was crazy hot. She was a blond with somewhat chinese eyes from oragon. The french fries rocked! The wine was nice and reasonably priced (for vetgas that is).

After watching several of Ramsay's shows, I was disapointed. Needless to say, he would have freaked out on the waitress and on the chef, to a lesser extent.

I doubt I'd go back to a Ramsay place.

Edit: I did get in and out burger the next day

How many places does he have these days? And in how many of them does he work the kitchen? If I'm paying a premium price to eat I want the chef to be there to ensure the quality of it.

And Michelin is pretty fucking strange, especially considering they refuse to give Noma 3 stars when pretty much everything i've heard, seen or read points to it as the best restaurant in Europe, let alone DA WORLD

The Michelin restaruant I worked at in college lost a star when it got caught filling high end wine bottles with cheaper varieties.

The Michelin restaruant I worked at in college lost a star when it got caught filling high end wine bottles with cheaper varieties.

seriously? fucked up right there.

Heres something I've always wanted to know. When a diner orders a very nice bottle of wine, like $2k plus, do they order it ahead of time for it can breath?

Question 2: what happens if the diner tastes the wine and says its corked?!?!

seriously? fucked up right there.

Heres something I've always wanted to know. When a diner orders a very nice bottle of wine, like $2k plus, do they order it ahead of time for it can breath?

Question 2: what happens if the diner tastes the wine and says its corked?!?!

#1: I've never seen any restaurant establishment serving wine that costs $2000.00+
That's unheard of!

#2: The waiter has to present the bottle and then uncork it in front of the customer.
The cork has to be presented and placed at the table before the pour.
A tiny amount of wine is poured into the glass of the customer ordering the wine. Once the nod of approval is given, the waiter pours the wine to everyone at the table starting with ladies first.
That's proper wine serving etiquette.

Last edited:

I wonder how many times they got away with this because of fools who buy the expensive stuff but don't know and can't tell the difference.

#1: I've never seen any restaurant establishment serving wine that costs $2000.00+
That's unheard of!

I went to one that had multiple wines over $2000 for sale. Granted, it was supposedly renowned for its wine selection. Most expensive I remember seeing was around $5700.

I'm late!
And yeah, i saw it and loved it. I'm a big fan of Redzepi and Bourdain is the shit, so i was pumped for the episode. If you're lucky enough to eat there, please post a review.

Yeah, it was a fucking great episode. Episodes like that and the El Bulli No Reservations leave me wide eyed like a child. The Mind of A Chef episode with Ren

I wonder how many times they got away with this because of fools who buy the expensive stuff but don't know and can't tell the difference.

I don't think it was too often, but in the end I'm sure they couldve for quite a while because like you said most have no idea.

Yeah, it was a fucking great episode. Episodes like that and the El Bulli No Reservations leave me wide eyed like a child. The Mind of A Chef episode with Ren

The best part of this thread was "letus"

I don't think it was too often, but in the end I'm sure they couldve for quite a while because like you said most have no idea.

I still have yet to watch it its on my dvr the El Bulli episode i swear ive seen at least 5 times and i love it every single time

Same. That kind of food wizardry never gets old. Did you watch any of Mind of A Chef? It was damn good.

Nah, we're terrible.
I just don't agree with your assessment about "never going to a Ramsay place again". I'd cut a toe off to go to one of his Michelin star venues. A pub? Not so much.

Sorry you had a bad experience, though, that's never good to hear.

What does a tire company know about gourmet food?? :icon_conf

Don't worry, they'll invade Canada and give out 3 stars like Candy as they did in Japan :)

And Michelin is pretty fucking strange, especially considering they refuse to give Noma 3 stars when pretty much everything i've heard, seen or read points to it as the best restaurant in Europe, let alone DA WORLD
Anyone who doesn't know Noma should watch this 23-min episode of "Mind of a Chef". Crazy. I'll never forget the first time I saw this.
http://video.pbs.org/video/2304531253/

The restaurants that I've most seen called the "Best in the World" across all the media I've soaked up the past decade:

elBulli, Ferran Adri

Oh, and Speeit is right. Ramsay's gastropubs have been caught numerous times breaking the principles that he preaches and insists, quite vitriolically, must never endure deviation. Those are just money-makers.

^ Interesting show. Never heard of it before, thx Mick.

Only seen the first two episodes of Bourdains CNN show. Which episode would you guys recommend I watch?

Don't worry, they'll invade Canada and give out 3 stars like Candy as they did in Japan :)

Michelin likes frou-frou service.

^ Interesting show. Never heard of it before, thx Mick.

Only seen the first two episodes of Bourdains CNN show. Which episode would you guys recommend I watch?

Watch all of Bourdain's shows. Even the getaway is pretty good and he's not even in it.

Back