Crime GOP lawmaker attends gay sons wedding after voting against same sex marriage

44nutman

The Original Nut of Sherdog
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out...-wedding-3-days-voting-sex-marriage-rcna39863
One thing that has changed with Politicians in my lifetime is the massive amounts of hypocrisy. They now just vote on bills they think will garner votes from the Rubes but they don’t believe in what they are voting on. This country was built on our leaders talking the talk and walking the walk. Now they stick their finger up on the air and try to gauge how they should vote in order to win their primary.

@BKMMAFAN

He should be more like Rob Portman.

Republican Senator Rob Portman Co-Sponsoring Marriage Equality Bill

U.S. Senator Rob Portman (Ohio), one of the few Republicans to support LGBT rights, has announced he will co-sponsor the Respect for Marriage Act, which would write equal marriage rights into federal law. Portman, who has a gay son, first announced his support for marriage equality in 2013. He made his support for the Respect for Marriage Act clear by agreeing to co-sponsor it in the Senate, Cleveland’s ABC affiliate reports.

The House passed the bill Tuesday by a margin of 267 to 157, with 47 Republicans joining all Democrats in voting for it. It is designed to maintain marriage equality even if the Supreme Court overturns the Obergefell v. Hodges ruling, which established equal marriage rights nationwide in 2015. In a concurring opinion when the court overturned the Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision, Justice Clarence Thomas said the justices should reverse Obergefell and certain other rulings on individual rights.

Another Senate Republican, Thom Tillis of North Carolina, told CNN he will probably support the bill. And just today, Republican Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin implied he will vote for it. “Even though I feel the Respect for Marriage Act is unnecessary, should it come before the Senate, I see no reason to oppose it,” he said in a statement to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

"Obergefell v. Hodges ruling, which established equal marriage rights nationwide in 2015"

Did this cover the right of plural marriages? I don't think so, therefore not equal at all, just more favoritism bullshit.

The Solution to the law:

Marriage is a legal contract between two or more people.

Done. Fair. Equal.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out...-wedding-3-days-voting-sex-marriage-rcna39863
One thing that has changed with Politicians in my lifetime is the massive amounts of hypocrisy. They now just vote on bills they think will garner votes from the Rubes but they don’t believe in what they are voting on. This country was built on our leaders talking the talk and walking the walk. Now they stick their finger up on the air and try to gauge how they should vote in order to win their primary.

Part of the blame falls on the voters. If voters routinely reject anyone in favor of gay marriage then a politician can't win if they vote in favor of gay marriage in that area. Most politicians do not strongly oppose gay marriage, but they know what their voter base expects.

So, he voted for what he believes his constituents want as opposed to his own beliefs.

As a member of the house of representatives, isn't this what we want him to do?

I'm pro-gay marriage. The majority in my district is as well. I would hope that our representative votes for marriage equality. If he doesn't, then he wouldn't be doing his job. He wouldn't be representing us.

So at some point in your lifetime you were under the impression that politicians weren't all hypocritical?

Really?

Even Obama flip flopped on gay marriage as soon as it was politically favourable for him to do so. Did he walk the walk after his spiel about how marriage, to him, is about a union between a man and a woman?

Well.
We in some european countries do have difficult situations.

It isn't about gay rights to have a pair and no one in general is preventing this in any kind.
Incluling rights to get legacy if partner will die...
In some countries marriage done in official church is considered as valid ground to apply for civil register to get marriage registered de iure.
And in constitution ( in some countries ) is clearly stated that ....marriage is between female and male.

It does looks nonsense until you get how holy stuff constitution is in some societies. Saint thing.
And when pro LBGT oriented president is threating parliament to be laid off IF they will not change holy constitution here.
Parliament can't cos this will be political suicide and sooner or later will require referendum.

And if president will dissmiss parliament ....
Then IF referendum will show that voters doesn't agree with dissmisal....this automatically will be. .. Impeachment for president done ....
Or if voters will agree, then...next parliament elections should be done....

This in time when XXX problems to solve and get approval are waiting in DAMN long row. ....

Gays have just as much right to ruin their lives as straights.
Agreed. I would be considered to be to the right of the political spectrum, but I think gays are citizens like everyone else and should have equal access to the rights and privileges of everyone else including having equal access to marriage.

Even Obama flip flopped on gay marriage as soon as it was politically favourable for him to do so. Did he walk the walk after his spiel about how marriage, to him, is about a union between a man and a woman?

This is GOP bashing thread, silly. Talk of Obama flip flopping on gay marriage, or Joe Biden flip flopping on abortion do not apply.

So, he voted for what he believes his constituents want as opposed to his own beliefs.

As a member of the house of representatives, isn't this what we want him to do?

I'm pro-gay marriage. The majority in my district is as well. I would hope that our representative votes for marriage equality. If he doesn't, then he wouldn't be doing his job. He wouldn't be representing us.
Nowadays, anytime a politician does their job, it’s a grift.

Most of the US is pro gay marriage even like half of Republicans. It shows how not god fearing people are

The far right elements will succeed in overturning it and I imagine the deep south states will ban it. Not so sure Swing states would though

Most republicans are religious weirdos that believe the bible to be literal in nature so it isn’t surprising he did that to keep his voter base happy

They are closer to the muslims they hate then democrats lol

Agreed. I would be considered to be to the right of the political spectrum, but I think gays are citizens like everyone else and should have equal access to the rights and privileges of everyone else including having equal access to marriage.

It's the conservative position on homosexuality anyway.

At least in a society in which consensual same-sex activity itself isn't criminalized. It's very easy to see how this is if you remove the Abrahamic religious component and focus on concepts of monogamy, hedonism and promiscuity -- or if one claims to be concerned about public health and morals.

I personally don't have the slightest interest in getting gay-married, but dedicated and passionate opposition rubs me the wrong way on principle and the suggested implication of being a lesser, second-class citizen...mostly because, well, that's fucking laughable on pretty much every level imaginable.

So what you're saying is he can put his political beliefs aside because he still cares and supports his family? That even though we disagree we can still love and be there for each other?

Try is sometime commie fucks

This isnt flip flopping

THis is about making exceptions

Part of the blame falls on the voters. If voters routinely reject anyone in favor of gay marriage then a politician can't win if they vote in favor of gay marriage in that area. Most politicians do not strongly oppose gay marriage, but they know what their voter base expects.
This.

It's the conservative position on homosexuality anyway.

At least in a society in which consensual same-sex activity itself isn't criminalized. It's very easy to see how this is if you remove the Abrahamic religious component and focus on concepts of monogamy, hedonism and promiscuity -- or if one claims to be concerned about public health and morals.

I personally don't have the slightest interest in getting gay-married, but dedicated and passionate opposition rubs me the wrong way on principle and the suggested implication of being a lesser, second-class citizen...mostly because, well, that's fucking laughable on pretty much every level imaginable.
Well if about stuff between two adults...in some european countries this wasn't criminalized even in 1921 th....
For a reason.

Unlike in USSR...

While if we are talking about marriage act enshired in Constitution and conservative society in country...

Then you might get voters hate and be non grata even in country where no one had punished you for being a gay in. ..1921 th....

Imagine difference.
Get a bit what stuff is to change Constitution in country....

I mean yeah, it's hypocritical but if he genuinely is against gay marriage at least he put his beliefs aside to be there for his sons happiest day?

Back