1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Economy GOP back to Inflation worries. "Hyperinflation"

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Oceanmachine, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ElKarlo Yellow Card Yellow Card

Let me start with saying that there are some that mess thing up for themselves. That said, the trend is that it is harder and harder to house yourself. There is a slew of reasons and it really started getting bad in the late 90s imho. Now it is out of control. It is spreading from the coastal areas to basically everywhere.

I got my first apartment in Gaithersburg in 2004. Didn't have a washing machine, but did have a crappy pool. Was $809 a month. Had a roommate and we could afford it pretty easily. Back then making 30K a year was all you needed to live decently on your own. Funny how that was cheap for you. Boston is ridiculous then. The DC is pretty awful, and you are saying Boston is worse. Man, that just sucks.
    BTW my parents house is way out and living there would be awful due to congestion. You'd have an hour long commute each way for a close job.
    Now with college, you are not working and putting yourself in to debt. That could be 4 years of living at home and saving half your money. At 22, you could have 40K saved up and have bought a decent used car. Ready to start life. Which would fit in how immigrants did things a century ago. Now, you go tot college take on 60K debt min, and start a job making 30k now. It is a broken system that is also being abused by house flippers and PE.

Also it seems that most my college friends started moving away in 03 or so. By 2014, I had very few friends still in the DC area, that I knew in 00-04. Basically everyone was priced out and felt it wasn't worth living there anymore. Even my high school, I looked some people up on facebook, most everyone is in NC, Florida and Texas now. Really sad that the area I grew up in now has nothing left, it is def one of those you can't go home again

2. Rob Battisti HR for HR

3. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

4. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

I don't think this is an accurate depiction of the discussion, and I don't really see the point in misrepresenting it anyway. No one has ever said actual inflation is not real. It's been understood to be transitory from the beginning. And it always has pluses and minuses. No change in anything. The danger would be if a brief spike leads to changes in long-term expectations, but the market is still expecting a 10-year average of 2.5% annually.

What's been clear from the beginning is that YOY increases are partly driven by weak comps and partly driven by supply-chain disruptions, with the strong recovery contributing. I think it's an interesting enough discussion on its own without people partisaning it up and arguing with their own imaginations.

5. Rob Battisti HR for HR

You’re an expert at misrepresentation to reframe what people are actually saying so that you can appear to be intellectually superior.

Within this thread alone, through the months, there were various posters and articles which stated “inflation isn’t going to take place due to policy changes” to “it will happen but it’s transitory” to “it’s actually not all that bad because you’ll get a raise in your salary”.

You become hyper focused on the language of “it’s going to happen” and take it as “well, inflation happens anyway so you’re wrong”. The point I was making, was to point out the fact that people argued that policies that were enacted would not cause a rise in inflation. Arguing semantics and trying to say “not uh and here’s why” is just boring.

6. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

No, I've never done that, and what kind of person makes up lies like that just because someone else has a disagreement on a technical issue? You guys really let your partisanship fuck with your honor.

Who? What articles? I think you're making that up, too. Generally, inflation drives wages up (over the long term, it drives them up as much as it drives up any other price). In the short run, wage growth can fail to keep up. Also reduces the cost of debt. This is always true. Has negative effects, also. Again, that's always true. And you won't find anyone who thinks that inflation wasn't going to happen (???). Inflation always happens. It's very rare for there to be a year with no inflation. Most people were actually expecting a short-term bump.

It's boring when you misrepresent points, sure. What policies do you think are causing inflation to rise? The only thing I can see is giving a shot in the arm to growth, which is a good reason for it.

7. Rob Battisti HR for HR

Scerpi likes this.
  8. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Yeah, I guess if you keep throwing out dishonest personal attacks in lieu of making real arguments, people will keep pointing out that you're doing it.

9. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

To hacks who skip any serious analysis of the economy and just think, "durr, inflation is high because the wrong party is presudint," what do you think of the fact that it's high in most of the developed world also?

10. ShadowRun error Platinum Member

11. foxnewsfan Black Belt

lol this didn't age well.

Mr Holmes and HockeyBjj like this.
  12. HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

Well there’s a swing and a miss

Scerpi likes this.
  13. PEB Great turntable of space and time dude

Blackrock CEO is also a major donor to the Republican party and Trump. Find someone on the street that seems less partisan then the CEO's from Blackrock, Blackstone and Goldman Sachs. They are not fan of taxes on them. Most of consumer inflation is a result of a red hot economy and job growth remember in the late 90's early 2000's Greenspan raised interest rates 7 times I believe and the economy tanked of course he was a Republican and helped George Bush Jr. sell the idea that he would be a steady hand to bring the economy back. There are a lot of similarities except they don't have a Republican like Greenspan in there to light a fire on the economy so it comes down to their underlings to sell the idea as I warned that Trump's massive tax breaks would hurt the economy in the long run but no on was talking.

14. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Why?