Google's Project Tango Turning Your World Virtual

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by PEB, May 31, 2014.

1. PEB

PEB Atomic Butt Drop Champ :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe10ExwzCqk

Google is developing the ability to 3D scan everywhere you go. It creates a 3D model of the space you occupy. kinda scary but then kinda cool because then that space becomes interactive in the graphics realm. Think of the possibilities in the future turning your house into being part of a game? I am sure they are looking at designing the next generation of phone around this technology?

2. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

^More skynet bullshit from google. They just want a 3d map of your house for their data collection and sales. I actually know two people who just were picked up by google for their computer vision experience; no clue what project they might be working on though.

3. PEB

Yea I have a friend's of mine son who has been working at Google did training at Mountain View now working in Cambridge. He has been there for a few years I think he is working on their mapping technology?

4. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

The interviewing process is pretty crazy as I understand it; if you make it past the standard interview process they'll fly you in, sit you down and have their engineers spend the entire day grilling you. Both guys, cPe's, were grilled on their analog circuit knowledge and asked to design butterworth filters and op amps from scratch when they'd both spend the last few years of their studies focused on computer vision.

Neither one did well but both were hired.

5. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

sounds like a creativity and working under pressure test. Like a very computer oriented version of asking someone how m&ms get the m on to each piece, or why manhole covers are round. They arent looking for the right answer, they want to see how you do with an unexpected problem.

6. Madmick

Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yeah, the same team working on Ara is working on this. I posted on it in the Smartphone thread in the the Berry, I think. Basically the two most exciting projects at Google; this one equally terrifying.

7. KaNesDeath

KaNesDeath Red Belt

Its called LIDAR. A simulation company called iRacing that i used to do alpha/beta testing for in 2004-2007 used a higher end scale version of it to recreate real world tracks 1:1.

From Googles demo you can tell that this is a far scaled down system simply by looking at its 'point clouds'.

Company i used to work for was also looking to invest in a similar system. We developed systems to track 'assets' in medical facilities. An were looking to branch out into military facilities.

Heres a picture of how a industrial one should look:

[​IMG]

8. PEB

Yea I am familiar with the technology and the tech around depth camera. It first started to show up in research more and more in the late 90's. It did not really take off till around 2005 but Microsoft Kinect sent the development for it into the stratosphere. The problem with Kinect is its low resolution so the images look distorted. The new Kinect on the Xbox One or off? :) That camera on the Xbox One is high def so the images captured are much better.

Here is a pervert :) playing with the open source algorithms to screw with an image literally.

[​IMG]

http://www.mindtreatstudios.com/how-its-made/kinect-real-life-occlusion-rendered-content/

9. KaNesDeath

KaNesDeath Red Belt

As a side note, on and after 9/11 they used a modified version of this type of system to detect where fires were occurring under the rubble.

10. KaNesDeath

KaNesDeath Red Belt

Yeah i was keeping a close eye on them for my previous employer. The possibilities for integrating it into our already proven system was nearly there.

We used active and passive RFID systems. Coupled with a real time LIDAR system, the areas we deemed 'elopement or high risk zones' could be easily secured.

11. PEB

Hey check this out don't need no stinking Google spy stuff for 3D capture!

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/smartphone-3d-camera/

12. KaNesDeath

KaNesDeath Red Belt

Our 2D system by itself was quite expensive. Something the medical industry would of bought prior to the market tanking. A 3D system was easily achievable with our system for it only required a fourth reader to acquire the Z axis coordinates of the RFID tags.

Now a real time 3D imaging system would be far to expensive. Line of sight would be a necessity increasing 'sensor' count.