Google's Fiber Tests Shows Insane Benchmarks Looks Great For Gaming!

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
Google_Fiber_speed_test.jpg

Nearly one gig upstream and one gig downstream impressive. They are going to be running ads about net neutrality and limits that people like Comcast/Verizon seem to be imposing at least according to them. Its not cheap but I would drop my comcast and just run this and Netflix's only. I almost never watch regular TV anymore mostly just for news. The upstream thing is what is most amazing to me its even faster then downstream?

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-offers-best-argument-for-broadband-competition/?ttag=fbwl

Issues that need to be addressed to bring Fiber to an area not very easy.

https://static.googleusercontent.co...out/files/googlefibercitychecklist2-24-14.pdf

Last edited:
For the home user, it's cool but not like mind-blowing until everyone is running at these speeds. Servers and P2P programs will only offer so much bandwidth so you're still limited to what the other person is doing. Having a 50 Mbps download from Comcast should be good enough for nearly any house, even if you've got multiple devices connected to your gateway.

For a business, this is huge. Bandwidth is always an issue and if internet speeds were the same as network speeds, it would solve a lot of issues.

For the home user, it's cool but not like mind-blowing until everyone is running at these speeds. Servers and P2P programs will only offer so much bandwidth so you're still limited to what the other person is doing. Having a 50 Mbps download from Comcast should be good enough for nearly any house, even if you've got multiple devices connected to your gateway.

For a business, this is huge. Bandwidth is always an issue and if internet speeds were the same as network speeds, it would solve a lot of issues.

The issue is also a political one for home users because of new bills would change the rules for net neutrality. It would allow comcast to lower the bandwidth provided to Netflix a popular example. My new download speed is over 100 megabits download on Comcast right now just got a network upgrade but around 12 megabits upload speed.

EDIT: Here is my Comcast tests results.

1401290_757893054242910_5755498450032711894_o.jpg

Last edited:
Any news of them coming to dallas? id like to get off stupid time Warner

The issue is also a political one for home users because of new bills would change the rules for net neutrality. It would allow comcast to lower the bandwidth provided to Netflix a popular example. My new download speed is over 100 megabits download on Comcast right now just got a network upgrade but around 12 megabits upload speed.

EDIT: Here is my Comcast tests results.

1401290_757893054242910_5755498450032711894_o.jpg

Those results are really good. I have the 50 mbps with Comcast because it's like half the price of 100 and as of now, I'd rather have the money than the speed.

That is true about net neutrality. You don't want one company to monopolize the ISP industry, but at the same time this is a capitalist society and competition should only improve services as a whole. I can't see Comcast and other ISPs just laying down and throwing in the towel if Google was able to offer this to a large portion of the public.

Any news of them coming to dallas? id like to get off stupid time Warner

No I have not heard anything but I see the reason why Google is launching this frontal attack is because Comcast is gain greater and greater political control. Its more then just running wires there is the Government effect on competition. People like Verizon and Comcast know that they cannot stop individual States from allowing Google to run Fiber. But as people like Comcast and Verizon move from the internet provider to content provider its in their best interest to limit 3rd parties. Google and Netflix are most worried about this issue they don't want to pay them to improve their bandwidth.

Those results are really good. I have the 50 mbps with Comcast because it's like half the price of 100 and as of now, I'd rather have the money than the speed.

That is true about net neutrality. You don't want one company to monopolize the ISP industry, but at the same time this is a capitalist society and competition should only improve services as a whole. I can't see Comcast and other ISPs just laying down and throwing in the towel if Google was able to offer this to a large portion of the public.

That's the thing I believe if you look into to it Comcast is upgrading areas and its free to move from 50 to 100 mega download. I don't pay for the faster bandwidth at least yet! ;)

That's the thing I believe if you look into to it Comcast is upgrading areas and its free to move from 50 to 100 mega download. I don't pay for the faster bandwidth at least yet! ;)

I actually just moved to Denver and I wasn't offered that. I think I'll call them and see. The tech that installed the service offered the 100 Mbps to me but I told him $115 a month for internet was a little ridiculous when I can get 50 Mbps for $40 a month for a year then only $60 after that and the conversation ended there.

I actually just moved to Denver and I wasn't offered that. I think I'll call them and see. The tech that installed the service offered the 100 Mbps to me but I told him $115 a month for internet was a little ridiculous when I can get 50 Mbps for $40 a month for a year then only $60 after that and the conversation ended there.

Yea its a free upgrade in my area because I would be pissed if they told me 115 dollars a month for that speed.

Last edited:
For the home user, it's cool but not like mind-blowing until everyone is running at these speeds. Servers and P2P programs will only offer so much bandwidth so you're still limited to what the other person is doing.
P2P programs link you to potentially tens of thousands of peers, though, that's the thing. It doesn't matter if they're all uploading at 10Mb/s, and you're only getting a fraction of that bandwidth sharing. If you link up to enough peers, then sooner or later you'll be operating at your download cap of 900Mb/s or whatever it is there. The same will apply to most FTP downloads and other server structures resembling those of the data lockers.

Because with servers it certainly always depends. Server farms maintained by companies like Google and Microsoft are not going to be bottlenecks, but yeah, many servers (and server ISP's) won't have the juice yet to make this matter.

Nevertheless, this will absolutely revolutionize YouTube/Netflix/Hulu/Twitch. Of course, all this means is that now they'll start using less gutted compressions of videos, and people will finally realize how shitty that "1080p" video they've been watching on YouTube really looks. As you said, though, this won't happen until these connections become the norm.

Yea its a free upgrade in my area because I would be pissed if they told me 115 dollars a month for that speed.

I just spoke with them and they said they haven't rolled it out in my area or on the west coast yet. No ETA yet either. They said they typically only do it for people with bundled deals, so I would consider getting a phone line anyway since I work remotely from home at times. Sucks I can't get it yet though.

P2P programs link you to potentially tens of thousands of peers, though, that's the thing. It doesn't matter if they're all uploading at 10Mb/s, and you're only getting a fraction of that bandwidth sharing. If you link up to enough peers, then sooner or later you'll be operating at your download cap of 900Mb/s or whatever it is there. The same will apply to most FTP downloads and other server structures resembling those of the data lockers.

Because with servers it certainly always depends. Server farms maintained by companies like Google and Microsoft are not going to be bottlenecks, but yeah, many servers (and server ISP's) won't have the juice yet to make this matter.

Nevertheless, this will absolutely revolutionize YouTube/Netflix/Hulu/Twitch. Of course, all this means is that now they'll start using less gutted compressions of videos, and people will finally realize how shitty that "1080p" video they've been watching on YouTube really looks. As you said, though, this won't happen until these connections become the norm.

That's true that if you get enough peers it will obviously go pretty fast. I connect through a VPN for P2P downloads so I've got that bottleneck on top of what you mentioned.

I'm sure this will eventually come to fruition. Even with net neutrality, technology continues to grow and it can only be held back for so long.

I was considering moving to fiber soon as I live in Austin and they are setting up shop here. But as someone already pointed out I don't see how much will change if others are still using a slow connection, timewarner just sent out an email saying they were increasing their speeds for all internet speeds for free and I only currently pay 40 a month for their standard service

Dying for Google Fiber to come to Florida.

Can't wait for it to come to LA! Lol maybe one day....

I was considering moving to fiber soon as I live in Austin and they are setting up shop here. But as someone already pointed out I don't see how much will change if others are still using a slow connection, timewarner just sent out an email saying they were increasing their speeds for all internet speeds for free and I only currently pay 40 a month for their standard service

yeah, im seriously wishing i lived in austin (google has a HQ there if i remember). I dont understand why they didnt put fiber in Dallas

yeah, im seriously wishing i lived in austin (google has a HQ there if i remember). I dont understand why they didnt put fiber in Dallas

Google headquarters are in Mountain View California they likely have a campus in Austin. They have campuses pretty much in every major software center in the Country. They have a huge presence in Massachusetts. They originally had panned just to do a limited number of projects in Cambridge MA but have since then a good portion of their storage and cloud application development happens in Cambridge now. They have almost a 1/2 million square feet of space on Kendall square must costs them a fortune.

Last edited:
I live in central valley, ca. It will probably be available in about 2022. Fuck.

Pretty sure Google fibre is coming to ATL soon.

wtf, they are never coming to socal : (

Back