Google Spying Story

Hog-train

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I have a Google spying story and I was wondering if anybody else experienced anything similar. I can't tell if I'm being paranoid or they are legit spying at this level.

2 instances:

1. The other day I was working out with my brother and we VERBALLY discussed acupuncture. That very night like an hour later, I started getting a whole bunch of random acupunture Youtube video recommendations. WTF.

2. Today - I was discussing big game hunting and conservation in Africa on a YAHOO email thread with a bunch of my friends, Then I get this recommendation on my Google Now page. WTF

Hunting Is Conservation. It’s that simple.
https://elknetwork.com/hunting-conservation/

Anyone have any similar stories? Is Google really listening to every convo?

I have a Google spying story and I was wondering if anybody else experienced anything similar. I can't tell if I'm being paranoid or they are legit spying at this level.

2 instances:

1. The other day I was working out with my brother and we VERBALLY discussed acupuncture. That very night like an hour later, I started getting a whole bunch of random acupunture Youtube video recommendations. WTF.

2. Today - I was discussing big game hunting and conservation in Africa on a YAHOO email thread with a bunch of my friends, Then I get this recommendation on my Google Now page. WTF

I've head stories similar to what you just mentioned. My friends ads on his phone suddenly had a lot of drug rehab ads. And we were talking about it only. No searching just like you mentioned verbally. But I was skeptical as my friend was druggie and I'm sure in his spare time he had searched for rehab facilities. So not really reliable but he was adamant about never searching for it.

I texted a friend asking if hed ever been to Top Golf. I immediately started getting TopGolf adds on youtube.

I've head stories similar to what you just mentioned. My friends ads on his phone suddenly had a lot of drug rehab ads. And we were talking about it only. No searching just like you mentioned verbally. But I was skeptical as my friend was druggie and I'm sure in his spare time he had searched for rehab facilities. So not really reliable but he was adamant about never searching for it.

So strange - I never Google searched Acupuncture and just discussed it that night. Literally short time later, I get a whole row of Youtube videos on it to watch.

Any way to turn it off?

2 instances:

They may be "listening" but not in a way you think. One explanation I can think of is that the ads come up based on your search history. You're search history may not have anything directly related to rehab or hunting, but Google's Analytics team may have made an algorithm to know that you are based on your search history, spending habits and not necesarily listening to you directly from any sort of device.

I kind of have a foot in Data Science and took some short courses that deal with this. Target puts beer and diapers they sell on aisles near each other apparently. Why? Because the dads who run into their stores late to buy diapers, tend to buy beer as well. Target just kind of "targetted" this predicament to make money off it. What does beer and diapers have anything to do with each other? Not much except that dads buy 'em.

I wonder if thats why I keep getting told that there are MILFS in my area wanting to meet up?

one of my friends who is not muslim, for a little bit was saying As-salumu alaykum to people. he got ads for arab singles

So strange - I never Google searched Acupuncture and just discussed it that night. Literally short time later, I get a whole row of Youtube videos on it to watch.

Any way to turn it off?
Not sure, Maybe on mobile don't leave your account signed in if your using google. I've never had any issues with ads that were strange. I'm more worried about those little clicks and weird noises when I'm on the phone than weird ads. But it is caused for caution. We need some nerds up in here to clear things up.

Of course it's spying on you and everything you input into it via text, voice, naughty pics. You know what will be fucked up? When they decide without your consent to publicly disclose all that personal shit just like they disclose your friends list, contacts list. Smartphone, PC. All the default settings allow them to invade your privacy. Lawmakers aren't doing shit to protect you.

Of course it's spying on you and everything you input into it via text, voice, naughty pics. You know what will be fucked up? When they decide without your consent to publicly disclose all that personal shit just like they disclose your friends list, contacts list. Smartphone, PC. All the default settings allow them to invade your privacy. Lawmakers aren't doing shit to protect you.
I would love to see the people who are in offices search history... can you imagine.

I spend most of my time talking about crack whores and have yet to receive a single crack whore ad on google so I'm pretty sure you're all just being paranoid

Adblock Plus doesnt work on Chuck Norris but Chuck Norris works on Adblock Plus

Have you ever been to your google account privacy settings?

https://myaccount.google.com/?pli=1

Go to "Review your privacy settings"
click on "Get Started"

You might also want to check out "Make Google yours"
click on "Manage your data & personalization"

Yes its happening.

Thinking about giving these services up.

Waiting for a suggested news story on how data mining is done bc big tech loves me and wants to introduce products that I'll be interested in.

Back