Google, Alphabet's Vision for Toronto. "SideWalks"

MikeMcMann

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else follows this. I've been following it for a while and am a big fan and very supportive of it.

Cliffs:

- Alphabet - Google's parent co, thru their 'Sidewalk Labs' initiative wants to undertake one of the most ambitious projects I have ever seen
- Sidewalks is an initiative to create 'connected cities' or 'connected areas' within cities that are communities that rely heavily on technology and being self sufficient and self sustaining
- Generally SideWalks has focused on smaller projects but the Toronto project is interesting because of its massive size and reach
- They choose this Toronto piece of land as it is Prime water front land that has been abandoned for decades due to the prior owners being heavy industrial and the rumours the land below is badly contaminated. If a company sits on land and contaminates and goes broke the new buyer, before being able to develop it will have to have the land pass ecological assessments and remediate the land back to acceptable standards. This often causes land (often under gas stations) to sit for decades with no developer willing to touch it. Once you buy it, if you find out the cost of remediating it is higher than your development pay back you can still be sued as the new owner of the land to fix it regardless.
- Alphabet wants this land as it is a chance to build a true 'from the ground up', ...NO, 'from the UNDER ground up' connected community with a completely closed loop vision.
- some misguided (IMO) leftist activists are complaining about corporate over reach but I like it as gov't has long given up on any grand advancements or investments. So even if you think gov't should, they won't.
- of course Google is looking at the "data collection' that would come with an entirely connected city and the value of that and arguments over who should own that data are being engaged

----------------------

Google’s Sidewalk Labs plans massive expansion to waterfront vision

...To finance this vision, Sidewalk Labs wants a share of the property taxes, development fees and increased value of city land that would normally go to city coffers.

...In an interview, Sidewalk Labs CEO Dan Doctoroff told the Star that Quayside will demonstrate what’s possible, but the company aspires to far greater “urban innovation.”...

“We’re going to be spending a lot of money in advancing the infrastructure. And where we do that and there are new property tax revenues or developer charges, we only want to get paid back a reasonable return for our investment in that infrastructure.”

“This land is stubbornly resistant to development,” Doctoroff said, and Sidewalk will be financing “mass transit and affordable housing in an era in which there is not enough money.”

“We’re prepared to take the risk up front of developing a model to help make that happen, and we’re prepared to essentially get paid back when we’ve demonstrated that it can be successful,” he said. To encourage development, Sidewalk will finance an LRT expansion through the area and fund the construction of “horizontal infrastructure” such as “the power and thermal grid, and waste removal.”...

What started out as excitement when Google was selected to develop a master plan for the former industrial lands erupted into controversy last fall, when a slew of consultants and advisory board members resigned in quick succession, citing concerns over how personal data would be collected and used, as well as the secrecy surrounding the project.

Sidewalk then pledged that it would not take ownership of all the data collected in the high-tech development, and proposed a public data trust to manage privacy concerns.

_3_sidewalk_toronto_eastern_waterfront_map.jpg

_4_sidewalk_labs.jpg

An artist's rendering of what Quayside will look like. The high-tech neighbourhood in Toronto's eastern waterfront will be built by Sidewalk Labs, a sister company of Google.

_1_main_art_for_gt1.jpg

Toronto's eastern waterfront will be home to Quayside, a high-tech community that will be people-centred and designed to achieve higher levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.

Quayside-Site-Plan-Draft-640x480.jpg

lead_720_405.png

G2C4DUIZYFDCDDELPKCM6H3YM4.jpg

Googles plan is for no cars within the community boundaries at all. It would transit to a point of access to a fleet of self driving car share that could take you to your car or throughout the community. All deliveries would be to set locations and self driving robots, traveling under ground would bring them to the home or business. (think of an amazon warehouse robot).

throw.jpg

Politicians react with shock, anger to Google’s sweeping vision for Port Lands

The Technology Behind Sidewalk Toronto's Concept Images

29283-101208.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be honest but im still unsure of what the hell this actually is but it seems rather interesting to build an entirely new community with affordability, sustainability and a bunch of high tech shit in mind.

I say let them bang.

Edit: But i'll be honest, Google is sort of resembling the Umbrella corp of our time and it sort of scares the shit out of me.

I'll be honest but im still unsure of what the hell this actually is but it seems rather interesting to build an entirely new community with affordability, sustainability and a bunch of high tech shit in mind.

I say let them bang.

Edit: But i'll be honest, Google is sort of resembling the Umbrella corp of our time and it sort of scares the shit out of me.
I kind of agree. BUt its not Google or the corporation I ultimate fear in this, Its gov't. Whenever gov't and private companies get too much in bed like this the abuses multiply because ultimately gov't can legislate protections and abuses the corporation cold never get on their own. And gov't officials are cheap whores. Not even the expensive kind.

That piece of land is prime real estate, and quite the eye sore at the same time, I think Google is being pretty reasonable, if the money they want refunded is for the environmental clean up prior to building. With that said, the key words here are "affordable housing".

Google has a parent company?

I own Alphabet stock so yeah I was aware. Cool stuff.

If people are concerned about Alphabet taking advantage of the data they'll collect, I assume there's something dodgy going on. Why and how is a fucking quay collecting data?

Google's Sidewalk Toronto plans to collect data from residents

Knew it, like they'd do this out of the goodness of their heart. They're prototyping a dystopian 1984 neighbourhood. Collecting data from your phone and your internet just wasn't enough, gotta kick that shit to the next level.

Not sure if anyone else follows this. I've been following it for a while and am a big fan and very supportive of it.

Cliffs:

- Alphabet - Google's parent co, thru their 'Sidewalk Labs' initiative wants to undertake one of the most ambitious projects I have ever seen
- Sidewalks is an initiative to create 'connected cities' or 'connected areas' within cities that are communities that rely heavily on technology and being self sufficient and self sustaining
- Generally SideWalks has focused on smaller projects but the Toronto project is interesting because of its massive size and reach
- They choose this Toronto piece of land as it is Prime water front land that has been abandoned for decades due to the prior owners being heavy industrial and the rumours the land below is badly contaminated. If a company sits on land and contaminates and goes broke the new buyer, before being able to develop it will have to have the land pass ecological assessments and remediate the land back to acceptable standards. This often causes land (often under gas stations) to sit for decades with no developer willing to touch it. Once you buy it, if you find out the cost of remediating it is higher than your development pay back you can still be sued as the new owner of the land to fix it regardless.
- Alphabet wants this land as it is a chance to build a true 'from the ground up', NO, 'from the under ground up' connected community with a completely closed vision.
- some misguided (IMO) leftist activists are complaining about corporate over reach but I like as gov't have long given up on any grand advancements or investments. So even if you think gov't should, they won't.
- of course Google is looking at the "data collection' that would come with an entirely connected city and the value of that and arguments over who should own that data are being engaged

----------------------

Google’s Sidewalk Labs plans massive expansion to waterfront vision

...To finance this vision, Sidewalk Labs wants a share of the property taxes, development fees and increased value of city land that would normally go to city coffers.

...In an interview, Sidewalk Labs CEO Dan Doctoroff told the Star that Quayside will demonstrate what’s possible, but the company aspires to far greater “urban innovation.”...

“We’re going to be spending a lot of money in advancing the infrastructure. And where we do that and there are new property tax revenues or developer charges, we only want to get paid back a reasonable return for our investment in that infrastructure.”

“This land is stubbornly resistant to development,” Doctoroff said, and Sidewalk will be financing “mass transit and affordable housing in an era in which there is not enough money.”

“We’re prepared to take the risk up front of developing a model to help make that happen, and we’re prepared to essentially get paid back when we’ve demonstrated that it can be successful,” he said. To encourage development, Sidewalk will finance an LRT expansion through the area and fund the construction of “horizontal infrastructure” such as “the power and thermal grid, and waste removal.”...

What started out as excitement when Google was selected to develop a master plan for the former industrial lands erupted into controversy last fall, when a slew of consultants and advisory board members resigned in quick succession, citing concerns over how personal data would be collected and used, as well as the secrecy surrounding the project.

Sidewalk then pledged that it would not take ownership of all the data collected in the high-tech development, and proposed a public data trust to manage privacy concerns.

_3_sidewalk_toronto_eastern_waterfront_map.jpg

_4_sidewalk_labs.jpg

An artist's rendering of what Quayside will look like. The high-tech neighbourhood in Toronto's eastern waterfront will be built by Sidewalk Labs, a sister company of Google.

_1_main_art_for_gt1.jpg

Toronto's eastern waterfront will be home to Quayside, a high-tech community that will be people-centred and designed to achieve higher levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.

Quayside-Site-Plan-Draft-640x480.jpg

lead_720_405.png

G2C4DUIZYFDCDDELPKCM6H3YM4.jpg

Googles plan is for no cars within the community boundaries at all. It would transit of access to a fleet of self driving car share that could take you to your car. All deliveries would be to set locations and self driving robots, traveling under ground would bring them to the home or business. (think of an amazon warehouse robot).

throw.jpg

Politicians react with shock, anger to Google’s sweeping vision for Port Lands

The Technology Behind Sidewalk Toronto's Concept Images

29283-101208.jpg

I used to work down there, the land is all contaminated, google can have it IMO.

If people are concerned about Alphabet taking advantage of the data they'll collect, I assume there's something dodgy going on. Why and how is a fucking quay collecting data?

Knew it, like they'd do this out of the goodness of their heart. They're prototyping a dystopian 1984 neighbourhood. Collecting data from your phone and your internet just wasn't enough, gotta kick that shit to the next level.
no one ever thought Google would be doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

I said in the OP its about the data

I used to work down there, the land is all contaminated, google can have it IMO.
Ya thats why no one will touch it. You buy ir, you clean it up.

That site might need 100% of the soil remediated or removed and all new clean fill brought in.

Ya thats why no one will touch it. You buy ir, you clean it up.

That site might need 100% of the soil remediated or removed and all new clean fill brought in.
It was so bad in the early 2000's they actually evicted the homeless people...in Toronto.

It was so bad in the early 2000's they actually evicted the homeless people...in Toronto.
Ya i remember that. They were setting up a tent city in that area. Nice water front. Abandoned. But toxic.

We did not want mutant Homeless.

Are you saying the land is contaminated BECAUSE you used to work there?

G81S.gif

Ya i remember that. They were setting up a tent city in that area. Nice water front. Abandoned. But toxic.

We did not want mutant Homeless.

The only thing better than hobo fights are mutant hobo fights.

Well, if that's dystopian, sign me up.

They can have my data.

I like it. And I wish they would do this in fucking Sacramento with all that fucking land just north of downtown that Union Pacific left festering there for a god damn century. They are always “working on developing” that land. But I have lived here my whole life and nothing on it has changed. It’s just a shitload of dirt and poisonous shit to this day.

I wish I could go back in time sometimes, its all moving too fast for me...

Back