Goodbye to 90's MMA

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira JUST retired (Jun 12 1999)

Gomi. not exactly a fav right now, but after losing to BJ Penn the guy went 10-0 in 2 years, owned Bushido (capping with Bushido 9, the best LW tourney ever) and beating a who's who of MMA. still too bad he never rematched Hansen in 05 or so.

I think Overeem might just be the last man standing competing at top level

I think most have been mentioned; though Rampage and Mike Pyle fought each other in '99. Also Manny Gamburyan fought in '99.

Alistair Overeem Oct. 1999
Andrei Arlovski – Apr. 1999
Nate Marquardt - Apr. 1999
Anderson Silva - Jun. 1997
Dan Henderson - Jun. 1997
Olesksiy Oliynyk Apr. 1997
Josh Barnett – Jan. 1997
Vitor Belfort - Oct. 1996

Good memories of these guys? Hmmmm...

Overeem: Honestly, my best memory of him is watching him get humbled by Bigfoot after fighting like Anderson did against Weidman. But it was fun watching him demolish everyone in his horsemeat days.

Arlovski: His revenge win over Bigfoot and his win over Browne are probably my favorite moments of his career, since they (for the moment) are the apex of a legendary comeback and should be part of a run to a title shot. Also his "how taste my pee pee" interview and his almost crying while apologizing for disappointing the fans with a boring match against Werdum, and "you boo? fuck you!"

Nate the Great: KO of Demian Maia with Demian doing his impression of a dolphin from Sea World.

Anderson Silva: Making complete fools of Vitor, Forrest, Okami. But my favorite moment of his is the first Chael fight, second favorite is him losing to Weidman in the first match, and third favorite is Chonan's heel hook.

Hendo: Best moment is beating Fedor, second best is the Bisping KO.

Oliynyk: Don't really have any. Haven't followed his career that closely. I guess the YAMMA pit.

Barnett: Strangely my favorite moment of his is when he fought Mighty Mo and absolutely crushed his nuts with an illegal kick, then had the sportsmanship to stand there with his legs open and offer Mo a free crack at his own nuts. Second favorite memory of his is perhaps his revenge victory over Rizzo, in Affliction I think but not sure.

Vitor: I guess it's getting face kicked by Anderson, or else his original Vitor Blitz fight.

Last edited:
Funniest moment in Hendo's career was when he used Popeye's chicken to sabotage Cormier's weightcut.

"It was funny. I went to go check out the guys. On my way to see DC, I saw Dan last night in the workout rooms. Dan's coming back and they dropped [Cormier] off a bunch of chicken...Popeye's...It was the best idea I've ever heard of. So it was like in the locker room, DC's smelling it, people keep opening the door. We had a whole team in there, a couple people keep sneaking a couple of bites. The smell permeates the room. DC's eyes just light up like golf balls." - Luke Rockhold

Daniel Cormier is an avid Popeyes Chicken fan. In fact, "DC" loves it so much, scarfing down a few pieces of the prized poultry was the only thing that could cheer him after Rashad Evans was forced to bow out of their UFC 170 bout with an injury. After Cormier defeated "Suga's" replacement, Pat Cummins, on the Super Bowl weekend card, the fast food chain sent the former Olympian buckets of goodies to his hotel room as a congratulatory gift. Now, Dan Henderson -- Cormier's UFC 173 opponent -- followed suit by sending "DC" a bucket of the famed chicken to Cormeir's workout room ahead of this weekend's (May, 24, 2013) pivotal co-main event match. That's according to Luke Rockhold, who told MMA Fight Corner that "Hendo's" attempt to sabotage Cormier's weight cut backfired, as cooler bellies prevailed with the former Heavyweight refusing to give into temptation. Being good friends and training partners, I'm sure Cormier's entourage found a good way to dispose of the chicken. You can't blame "Hendo" for trying.

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/5/21/5...ormier-weight-cut-ufc-173-popeyes-chicken-mma

Last edited:
He had one fight in which he threw a combo that looked straight out of Tekken. Like some kid was controlling his Marquardt Avatar, but was just smashing buttons on the game controller.

NateMarquardtFinishesWilsonGouveiaU.gif

That's my favorite Marquardt moment.

DAMN!!! Who was THAT against? Marquardt was already kind of a "meh" fighter to me. But that gif is impressive as all hell.

Vitor whooping Tank Abott so easily. Tank even showed respect & good sportsmanship afterwards which was something he never did & shock Belforts hand.

That was one of my favorite early UFC moments. I was scared for Vitor. Tank was a killer who beat people into convulsions, and Vitor was this unknown 18 yr old kid. Awesome fight.

In the book No Holds Barred by Clyde Gentry, Big John was talking about that fight. He said right after the fight, Tank told him "that kid just rocked my fucking world!"

He had one fight in which he threw a combo that looked straight out of Tekken. Like some kid was controlling his Marquardt Avatar, but was just smashing buttons on the game controller.

NateMarquardtFinishesWilsonGouveiaU.gif

That's my favorite Marquardt moment.

Damn, I forgot about that. Yeah, that was magnificent, hands down the best of Nate the Great.

Back