Good ways to save money?

FlowWithTheGo23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I got a big raise, but things just always seem to keep coming up. Makes saving money hard. Was wondering if anyone had some clever ideas for how to set up a nice little nest egg.

Do you have a savings account? I set up my paychecks to where 20% goes to my savings account every pay period.

Just have a seperate saving account. Put whatever you can into that and don't touch it. After you save up $10,000 - $20,000.... then put ALL of it into a money market liquid CD where it will earn interest.

Do you have a savings account? I set up my paychecks to where 20% goes to my savings account every pay period.

While like 200 bucks of my paycheck goes to a forced retirement and fucks me every week, I do a variation of this. I think like 10% of my paycheck goes to savings through an automatic transfer with my bank on a specified day every month.

Pay off any credit card debt if you have it. Then have a portion of your paycheck automatically transferred to a savings account. I also automatically contribute to a retirement account.

Just have a seperate saving account. Put whatever you can into that and don't touch it. After you save up $10,000 - $20,000.... then put ALL of it into a money market liquid CD where it will earn interest.

This two is correct. Get another saving account different from the one you have a ATM card. Deposit a fix and decent amount monthly from your salary and keep the discipline to do it constantly.

Previously, I transfer 1k to my alternate saving account every time I get my salary. The rest is for spending, if there are left overs still, good.

Without an ATM card for this alternate saving account, you still will think twice when you wishes to withdraw these money when your main account bleeds dry.

Budget so you know where you money is going and how much of it is going there. With that, you will be able to make a more informed decision on where you can improve on savings. Whatever you have left over from that month after you're budget, move to an online savings account that you don't touch unless for emergency/investing.

It also helps if you don't change your lifestyle after a raise. Even delaying the lifestyle bump for a year can make a huge difference putting that money away.

Putting money into a savings account becomes unwise after awhile.

You should be earning good interest with your savings.

You can start a mutual fund with as little as $1000. Contribute 15%-20% of every paycheck to it. Use a Vanguard index fund. They are the cheapest and best.

I hear ya ts, the variable unavoidable costs always seem to come up whether its a car repair, medical bill, etc. Just keep your fixed costs as low as possible and squirrel every dime u can.

I agree with Lead Salad. Having a budget is important. It's also important to occasionally do an audit of your spending from time to time to see where.your money is actually going. A budget only helps if you actually stick to it. I don't think you need to track it constantly but reviewing a month of spending a few times/year is useful.

Buy clothes from thrift stores or similar places.

Go to library to fulfill entertainment needs

Buy foods in bulk whenever possible

Keep track of spending

Check out the Mayberry Investment thread to see how others are making their money work for them.

A friend of mine used to do this whenever he'd get the urge to buy something crazy, like a new TV, etc,. After finally deciding to not go for it, he'd take the money that he would have spent and pour it into a mutual fund or something like that. He's got a nice size chunk saved up just from that.

Pay off any credit card debt if you have it. Then have a portion of your paycheck automatically transferred to a savings account. I also automatically contribute to a retirement account.

Pay yourself 1st is a great way to save. When the cash is not on hand, its much harder to blow it on an expensive dinner or impulse purchase.

The latte factor! $5 a day on a latte or $10 a day on lunch adds up fast.

Also- take advantage of any govt programs, such as TFSA like we have in Canada.

Keep track by writing down all your spending for a week and 2 and you may be surprised on some stupid shit you buy.

A friend of mine used to do this whenever he'd get the urge to buy something crazy, like a new TV, etc,. After finally deciding to not go for it, he'd take the money that he would have spent and pour it into a mutual fund or something like that. He's got a nice size chunk saved up just from that.
Truly smart.

Investing in yourself is like paying membership dues to the most beneficial club in the world.

Have a decent amount going straight from paycheck to 401k or IRA. Put money into other savings vehicles like health savings or college savings accounts where there is a penalty for withdrawing for uses besides what they are intended for. Otherwise, just have some self restraint and live below your means.

Back