Good way to develop the Left Hook

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by spyu, Nov 2, 2010.

1. spyu

spyu White Belt

This is by far my weakest and awkward feeling punch. Well I know the jab is usually the weakest punch, but I guess I'll say it just feels really weak when I throw it.
    I feel ok when I throw it tightly, but I've been told that I throw it too close and I need to extend my arm more and raise my elbow so that it's parallel to the ground. When I do this I feel very little power behind it. What are some good drills that helped you guys for those that had similar experiences starting out.

2. djdwolf

djdwolf White Belt

Pad work x 1000000,Shadow Boxing (prefebably in front of the mirror) so you can correct your technique, the power will come when your technique improves.. after that grab a 1kg weight and throw the left hook for a bit of resistance in that motion .. hope this helps..

3. Gorack

Gorack Purple Belt

For me it was all about learning to recoil before throwing it to maximize the hip twist. It's basically the same motion as if you were going to throw a front hand uppercut. Your hips sink down where you should feel a pressure/twisting back in your front hip and your shoulders go just beyond square with your opponent/target. You bring the elbow up parallel with the floor with the top of your fist about eye level.

Then as you unload the punch it comes from the floor up. You push forward and upward with the ball of your rear foot and I like to turn over the front foot as I throw it. (There's 2 schools of thought on whether you should pivot the forward foot with the hook or not. I like the pivot.)

Throw the punch to centerline or just past centerline if you're shadowboxing, don't over extend it across your body. When I was working my power with this punch for several months I would just throw it at the heavy bag constantly. That helped develop the power but I think someone watching you with pads will ensure you have proper technique before you start pumping out reps with it.

4. dtravis92

dtravis92 Orange Belt

You need to make sure that your technique is right and that you are getting the right transfer of weight into your shot. Get this by shadowboxing and then it will come onto the pads and heavybag.

Go to this youtube channel and look at the playlist on the right called "Throwing the perfect left hook (Crazy Monkey Boxing)". There are four videos that give a complete, awesome breakdown about the technique of a left hook, basically there is over a half hour of material about the left hook there.

YouTube - revolutiongym's Channel