Good time for 5 mile run?

True, but I've found when it comes to running, down hill sections don't put in what up hill sections take out.

I agree. Just seemed convenient to mention the uphill section and neglect mentioning the downhill.

Yeah I know. Last time I wet I America to see my family I couldn't believe how every soldier I saw was huge....not like a small guy but like borderline obese....

Meh. We just obliterate entire villages from miles above the clouds nowadays anyway. No need to be in shape for that.

I don't do much long distance running. I started out planning a little run but once I got into it I wound up doing two laps of my town which is 5 miles according to an online run distance calculator. With around 30% of that on an uphill slant I did it in 37 mins.

The record is around 21 mins.

What is a good time depends on your goals and on your reference group. I think you definitely did better than an average American/Western European middle-aged man. But a good long distance runner will tell you the time was so-so, just like your average power lifter will say that a 300 pounds 1RM bench press is maybe not so impressive.

If you do not run on a regular basis, I think your time is perfectly fine. If you do not regularly participate in any other cardio intense activity such as boxing or swimming or biking, I think it is even pretty impressive.

37min is a 7:25 mile pace (around that) and if an "untrained male " did this I call bullshit. I'd almost call bullshit if an untrained average a male did it without walking.

Just because the ranger standard is 5 miles in 40 minutes, doesn't mean you'll make it through rasp or ranger school running a 39:59

Sure there are a couple every class barely scraping by on that run because they are monsters in other things, but you're going to want to be comfortably able to run a 35-36 while tired from other training

What is a good time depends on your goals and on your reference group. I think you definitely did better than an average American/Western European middle-aged man. But a good long distance runner will tell you the time was so-so, just like your average power lifter will say that a 300 pounds 1RM bench press is maybe not so impressive.

If you do not run on a regular basis, I think your time is perfectly fine. If you do not regularly participate in any other cardio intense activity such as boxing or swimming or biking, I think it is even pretty impressive.

37min is a 7:25 mile pace (around that) and if an "untrained male " did this I call bullshit. I'd almost call bullshit if an untrained average a male did it without walking.

Well it depends what you mean by trained. I've never joined a running club but I do boxing roughly 2-4 times a week. We never have to do long distance roadwork in the club. The most running we'd do is 100 metre sprints, then some rope work, punching bag, sparring, shadow boxing etc. I've never really bothered with running unless I have to get somewhere in a hurry. Only reason I did it was because I didn't have enough money for a training session so had to occupy myself with other things.

Meh. We just obliterate entire villages from miles above the clouds nowadays anyway. No need to be in shape for that.

yeah, you should brag about that. the term "baby killer" comes to mind...obliterating random shot with drones....yeah, thats awesome....

I believe it, some people actually are born to run. The average untrained male couldn't do it without walking, but there is a certain percentage of people who can just run, in the same way you see people who are just big and strong for no fucking reason.

I think 28-32 mins would be a good time. 6 minute mile pace would put you at 30 mins, which I would consider good.

I ran a 10k this weekend in 39:03. I was a but bummed I didn't go under 39 but still happy with it. My friend won it in 33:10 but he's like an actual runner.

This weekend is the universities 5k/deadlift comp. Im hoping for a W.

Damn that's a good time. I ran a 5k today in 22:03. Took 8th overall and 2nd place with a dog. Almost all of my races are with one of my dogs to the point that I cannot remember the last time I even ran without a dog by my side. May have to venture out a bit for the summer since the next dog run isn't till August.

Damn that's a good time. I ran a 5k today in 22:03. Took 8th overall and 2nd place with a dog. Almost all of my races are with one of my dogs to the point that I cannot remember the last time I even ran without a dog by my side. May have to venture out a bit for the summer since the next dog run isn't till August.

Damn, didn't even know that was a thing. Dog's routine?

Do you know a site that lists all the dog runs? I try to look for them and only find a couple.

Do you know a site that lists all the dog runs? I try to look for them and only find a couple.

As far as I know-- it's all by city/county/state type thing. Mostly is associated with a humane society or something similar but always tied with a local race group like speedy feet or Zoom racing for us local... I'm sure you could google or make a few calls and find out. My wife and I are both volunteers with 4 dogs so it's just another flyer.... :icon_chee

Ahhh...."army strong"......this is why we have marines.

40 minutes??? for rangers???? lol.

Generally speaking, Ranger school is much, much more difficult than Marine basic training.

But Marine basic is certainly more difficult than Army basic.

I ran the 3 mile block near my house in 19:46 a couple of weeks ago. Happy enough, was always more into speed than endurance

Ahhh...."army strong"......this is why we have marines.

40 minutes??? for rangers???? lol.

As much as I would love to bash the Army, that is the MAXIMUM time for Rangers. Most probably do a lot better than that. The most Marines run in basic is 3 miles, and I think our maximum time is 28 minutes (9:20 mile pace).

I ran the 3 mile block near my house in 19:46 a couple of weeks ago. Happy enough, was always more into speed than endurance

that's really good. fastest i've run 3 miles lately is around 21 minutes....need to stop smoking mokies haha

As much as I would love to bash the Army, that is the MAXIMUM time for Rangers. Most probably do a lot better than that. The most Marines run in basic is 3 miles, and I think our maximum time is 28 minutes (9:20 mile pace).

6.4 miles an hour lol, strong maths.

Back