Good point about clean eating vs IIFYM

Sarumyan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

We need to replace the "how to design your diet" thread with advice close to this one.

Tracking Macros is really unnecessary for non-bodybuilders.

I'm losing some pretty good weight with a combo of both really, making sure I get a around 200g protein a day, good carbs but also allowing myself some 'cheat' stuff. As long as you don't go above your calories I don't see the issue for a non-competitor.

Just eat more vegetables ya fucks

I lost 25 pounds of fat and gained muscle by simply cutting sugar and fast-food out of my diet and joining a BJJ class. I didn't keep track of anything or buy anything organic. I ate a balanced diet that included vegetables, fruit, grain, and protein and avoided bad food.

macros are just as important for optimal performance as calorie intake

I don't "track" either because that is a borderline eating disorder instead I just ball park it... but both have to be manipulated for me to notice a difference in body composition and performance

also IIFYM should by IIFYMAM....if it fits your macros and micros

I don't "track" either because that is a borderline eating disorder instead I just ball park it... but both have to be manipulated for me to notice a difference in body composition and performance

I have to disagree. There are diets that are low in each Macro...and they work just fine.

The point of the video - once you stop tracking macros, you fall in your "macro combination" you naturally predisposed to (if you are still watching calories).

I wonder how much protein is over hyped just to sell protein shakes too.

Watch calories, stay away from processed sfood, stuff yourself with vegetables. The end.

Plus....there are so many god damn Micros - it is much easier to just track the kinds of veggies you eat.

I have to disagree. There are diets that are low in each Macro...and they work just fine.

The point of the video - once you stop tracking macros, you fall in your "macro combination" you naturally predisposed to (if you are still watching calories).

I wonder how much protein is over hyped just to sell protein shakes too.

Watch calories, stay away from processed sfood, stuff yourself with vegetables. The end.

Protein is absolutely over hyped I have noticed no difference in body composition ranging from 0.6 grams per lb all the way up to 1.5 grams per lb...or if there was a difference it was negligible...I'm sure if your a 260lb bodybuilder it might make a difference but for your average fitness enthusiast and athlete it hardly makes any difference

and your closing statement I pretty much agree with tbh...I don't even portion manage veg I just throw in as much as I feel like, very hard to overeat on veg if your burning upwards of 2k calories a day...I usually eyeball portions for my protein and carb source though but that's purely for caloric reasons

Plus....there are so many god damn Micros - it is much easier to just track the kinds of veggies you eat.

yeah I agree but just to be clear when I say micros in IIFYMAM I essentially just mean fibre... as soon as you include the fibre component it makes IIFYM incredibly clean all of a sudden... you can't fit a pop tart and can of coke in so easily if you take fibre into account

I say do what works for you. If tracking your macro's is working - if for no other reason than because it makes you more aware of the foods you eat or because it makes you more accountable if only to yourself - keep doing it. If you find tracking macro's too much work or too regimented and causes you to lose interest and stop eating healthy - than don't do it.

Yes, it sometimes feels like it. I feel awkward enough being the only person at work eating the way I do. Even admitting you count calories makes you a weirdo in the eyes of most people.

It makes a big difference though. After a while you have an inherent feeling how much calories you consume per meal. Before I couldnt have guessed my intake if my life depended on it.

Yes, it sometimes feels like it. I feel awkward enough being the only person at work eating the way I do. Even admitting you count calories makes you a weirdo in the eyes of most people.

It makes a big difference though. After a while you have an inherent feeling how much calories you consume per meal. Before I couldnt have guessed my intake if my life depended on it.

This. The people I work with who are actually obese really cannot just kinda sorta gauge their calories, and they have no idea about the composition of their diet. Most have no idea that they're eating a 60+% carb diet.

That's why I am so insistent on people counting calories and macros for at least two full weeks. It isn't for the sake of diet accuracy, it's because they need the self-education.

Protein is absolutely over hyped I have noticed no difference in body composition ranging from 0.6 grams per lb all the way up to 1.5 grams per lb...or if there was a difference it was negligible...I'm sure if your a 260lb bodybuilder it might make a difference but for your average fitness enthusiast and athlete it hardly makes any difference

and your closing statement I pretty much agree with tbh...I don't even portion manage veg I just throw in as much as I feel like, very hard to overeat on veg if your burning upwards of 2k calories a day...I usually eyeball portions for my protein and carb source though but that's purely for caloric reasons

yeah I agree but just to be clear when I say micros in IIFYMAM I essentially just mean fibre... as soon as you include the fibre component it makes IIFYM incredibly clean all of a sudden... you can't fit a pop tart and can of coke in so easily if you take fibre into account

...I am confused - we seem to agree on everything, then how come we are disagreeing haha

...I am confused - we seem to agree on everything, then how come we are disagreeing haha

we are in agreement son!

borat-letterman-high-five.gif

Back