good on gus, it wont happen again

• Thread starter Deleted member 385619
  • Start date
And Gus won't come back stronger and more prepared because??????

I think he was as prepared and game as he can. The theory most have is avoid the elbow and he wins. Jones has more than that. And gus knows it, which is why he was so good.

Jones was himself.

His striking and wrestling just isn't as effective when he doesn't enjoy every physical advantage in the book. Watch the entire Bonnar fight to see my point.

Gus needs to work on reading Jones's tells for his spinning elbow and he should win a rematch no problem. He got too confident in the 4th and paid for it, because he was winning and he felt it, but it won't happen next time. If he can avoid the elbows, Jones won't have anything for him.

You should rethink your user name. Jones wasn't even half the fighter he is today when he faced Bonnar. Gus just is a great fighter that has a style that matches up well with Jones, and fighters can have off and on nights. Stop shitting on Gus.

So Gus has reached his peak while Jones will keep on improving, hm....

a year old account with 50 posts? Sherdog trolls really disappoint me these days. They don't even try to hide the trolling. Maybe this can be a new classification though. Unmotivated BJ, and the UnJones

yes he did, fightmetric is paid by the UFC and 90 of jones's significant strikes were jab kicks to the knee.

I remember during the fight they were going on about how Gus landed 200+ strikes, but it magically went down to 120 and i bet every single time jones did a pirouette it counted as a significant strike on the air.

Fightmetric is completely useless. So was compubox and all of those systems. In the Rampage/Bader fight, Bader took Rampage down, got behind him, Rampage attempted to stand up, made it to a somewhat upright position for bout 5 seconds, and then Bader drug him back down to the previous position. Fightmetric awarded him 2 takedowns for that little sequence.

I don't even get the logic, Gus just showed he can hang (and then some). I'm not going to predict the future but come on.

Isn't it funny how everytime someone gets "exposed" (if you can even call it that) there is somethign wrong with the fighter? Oh please.

Why can't gus also improve and come over the top to win?

Jones has been kinda spoiled by always having a big reach advantage against his opponents, he looked so flat-footed against Gus who was constantly moving and resetting and forcing Jones to plod after him. It's going to be really interesting to see if Jones will focus a lot more on improving his footwork which I think he should after this fight.

I don't know if I would say he wasn't himself, but I seriously doubt Jones expected to spend 99% of that fight standing the way they did, which probably threw him off a lot. It'll be interesting to see if he even tries to use his wrestling in the rematch or just trains for a pure standup fight.

Not being prepared for a standup fight is just stupid. I doubt that had anything to do with it.

yes he did, fightmetric is paid by the UFC and 90 of jones's significant strikes were jab kicks to the knee.

Were you not watching the cracking leg, body and head kicks which Jones landed throughout the entire fight?

Guys are both young and both can learn a ton from this fight. It will be interesting to see who learns more. I feel the rematch will be great but a bit less competitive.

I tend to lean this way as well, Jones is just so good I think hewill learn from this and not let Gus play that same game next time around.

I actually agree.

Gus was amazing last night but there's no question in my mind that he benefited greatly by taking Jones/Jackson's by surprise in a lot of ways.

The stars kind of aligned for Gus here, in other words, and I don't see that happening again.

I think Jones is a very solid favourite in the rematch and would not be surprised if he wins in his Jones-vs-a-Middleweight fashion.

Gus was unreal, no doubt. He lost a close fight legitimately.

I feel for him, not because he lost, because he is going to get thrashed in the rematch. Am I the only one who felt jones wasnt himself. Granted gus had something to do with that, but my money would comfortably be on jones.

Gus gave all he had, and lost. Jones will come back stronger and prepared. I fear the rematch will be far less competitive

He wasn't himself, cause he was injured early on in the fight.

Were you not watching the cracking leg, body and head kicks which Jones landed throughout the entire fight?

Guys are both young and both can learn a ton from this fight. It will be interesting to see who learns more. I feel the rematch will be great but a bit less competitive.

Those were all extremely weak kicks that were thrown only to score points and not to score damage. He didn't really land more than 5 truly significant strikes. All those "elbows" we're actually forearms and shoulders that hit Gus except 1. Funny how jones landed so many "leg kicks" but Gus didn't even have a slight limp afterwards.

I tend to lean this way as well, Jones is just so good I think hewill learn from this and not let Gus play that same game next time around.

And Gus doesn't learn a lot from this and what it's like to be in a 25 minute fight now? It's pretty silly to assume one guy will improve from this fight and not the other.

Gut feel says the rematch will be much better for Jones, I hope I'm wrong.
I do love Alex's mindset though, talking about he'll come back much stronger and really wants the rematch.

Back