Good none pressing triceps exercises?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by groo, Dec 30, 2005.

1. groo

groo Gold Belt

What are some good tricep exercises that are not pressing movements? [I dont need more pressing movements]. I am trying different ones right now, but I would like info on any more variations of triceps exercises. When I searched for such exercises mostly I found press ones and crap ones like tricep kickbacks.

I am hoping to find something that uses free weights, preferably dumbbells. I am trying to find a movement that feels good and doesnt mess up my elbow joints.

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

tate press?

3. fat_wilhelm

fat_wilhelm Black Belt

skull crushers, weighted dips.

4. nudge119

nudge119 Green Belt

Add dips and replace one your pressing movements with close grip bench.

5. Noskill

Noskill Created Monkey

I don't get your question. If you don't need more pressing, why do you need more tricep work? IMO the best triceps isolation exercises are french press and tate press, yet they are only marginally different from compound presses.

6. KOU In3

KOU In3 Orange Belt

Skullcrushers- Although I've found these to bother my elbow tendonitis a bit when going heavy on them personally.

One arm dumbell extensions: Sit upright and lower to behind the neck.

Two handed dumbell extension: Same as above except use two hands.

Rope pressdowns- not really a pressing movement. Low joint impact in my experience.

Overhead rope extensions- start from low pulley and behind the neck. Do standing.

Kickbacks- I never really seemed to get much from them.

7. BAS_FAN

BAS_FAN Purple Belt

One of my personal favs right now is DB extensions on the decline bench. I angle them differently each set and im able to handle some good weight.

8. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

Tate press, bodyweight extensions

9. fat_wilhelm

fat_wilhelm Black Belt

Good call. I've found that any kind of tricep presses/extensions feel so much better on a decline bench.

10. Reveen

Reveen Purple Belt

Have you ever tried those pushups where you have your hands close together in kind of a diamond shape? I'm not sure what they're called but they're great for your triceps & delts; also if you turn your hands all the way round so that the tips of your middle fingers are almost touching you'll hit the forearms as well. If you're already really strong you could do handstand pushups with your hands in that diamond shape.

11. CarnalSalvation

CarnalSalvation Trying to make a Milankey

You are weird mang.

12. jrocc

jrocc Green Belt

The tricep essentially pushes, wether you wanna call it extending or pulling down

13. Ongy

Ongy Purple Belt

what is the tate press? i've never heard of it. I used to like skullcrushers but i injured my left elbow last year going heavy on them. These days i tend to do weighted dips and cable pushdowns.

14. groo

groo Gold Belt

My shoulders need more rest because of a lot of punching on non-weightlifting days.

Anyway, thanks to all for the ideas.

15. datadog

datadog Blue Belt

Most of the common excercises are listed in the Sherdog Glossary (which is in the stickies): http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=217569

Tate press - Tricep exercise, also known as an elbows out tricep extension. Unique in that it puts most of the stress on two of the three heads of the tricep due to shoulder rotation.Example 1, Example 2 (but the dumbells should be touching throughout the exercise) Tate presses can also be done on an incline bench.

Example 1: http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/tatetri.html
    Example 2: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Tate+Press

16. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

They each have the word press associated with the name, however they are hybrid movements:

Tate press

JM Press

Decline French Press

Dumbell overhead extensions

17. Ongy

Ongy Purple Belt

Hey thanks for those links. I read all sorts of bodybuilding magazines including Flex, Musclemag International and Ironman and I have never seen that exercise for triceps in my life! It looks pretty good. Just a couple of queries; 1) would it hurt my left elbow which I injured last year doing skullcrushers? 2) What sort of weight should I be using for the exercise considering that I can bench 100kg for around 7 reps and dumbell shoulder press 30s for 12 reps? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My triceps have always been a sticking point in comparison to my bis so any new exercises to rejuvenate my routine would be welcome.

18. RickoOodlez

RickoOodlez Banned Banned

Tate press, weighted belt dips?

19. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

However much weight you can do. Think about that man. How are we going to tell you how much you should do for an exercise you've never done before? I'm sure there's some suggestions for ratios, but those are irrelevant: you've never done it before.

Also, the question about whether or not it will hurt. Did you develop tendonitis? Has that healed? If that hasn't healed, you shouldn't be lifting at all, but you might only really be feeling the pain during extensions. That doesn't mean presses are okay.

I can comment on one ratio. If you can do 220 for 7 on the bench, but only press 30's for 12, your shoulders are REALLY lagging. You need to prioritize overhead.

And throw out those magazines.

20. Keiron

Keiron This gun's for hire

skullcrushers is the way to go