Good No Gi in East Bay?

Magic Swag

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Relocating to Oakland. I see a lot of great gi-based schools, haven't found a great no gi place yet.

Thanks for your help.

What city in the East Bay?
If you are looking for a pure No Gi school: 10th P Walnut Creek is the only one I know of. Across the bridge in SF is El Nino. I've heard good things about both.That said, pretty much all the No Gi tournaments out here are being won by the Gi guys.

Relocating to Oakland. I see a lot of great gi-based schools, haven't found a great no gi place yet.

Thanks for your help.

Find a gi gym that has some no gi nights. Pacific ring sports has a good BJJ instructor who I think does a lot of no gi, and you also get a lot of very good striking classes for your membership. But unless you want to go full 10th Planet, I'd take the opportunity to learn the gi game. It will help your no gi a lot and, as you suggest above, you will find better instruction overall. if you take that route, all of a sudden you can choose between well regarded schools like Ralph Gracie Berkeley, Cassio Werneck, Cesar Gracie, etc.

Fightkore in Martinez, 10th planet, or performance MMA in Albany. There's a lot of gyms out here so you have some options for what you are looking for.

Curious, why just no gi? Is Walnut Creek close enough?
I just like no gi better, frankly. Mostly b/c I prefer the wrestling game on the feet to the judo game. At the end of the day, I'm probably going to go with Ralph's place in Berkeley. It seems to be a fantastic gym. Thank you all for your help.

Back