Good MMA wrestlers with a non-wrestling background

Are there any examples of UFC fighters without a wrestling background who have gone on to become really good MMA wrestlers (by that I mean outwrestling fighters with wrestling backgrounds)?

You have fighers like Glover and Dos Anjos who look like amazing wrestlers when they fight non wrestlers, but as soon as their up against wrestlers they're wrestling looks weak.

I WILL CUT YOU

Calamity from the Heavens
Platinum Member
Reaction score
GSP and Aldo.

Lol how did my comment get moved above TS's?

Are there any examples of UFC fighters without a wrestling background who have gone on to become really good MMA wrestlers (by that I mean outwrestling fighters with wrestling backgrounds)?

You have fighers like Glover and Dos Anjos who look like amazing wrestlers when they fight non wrestlers, but as soon as their up against wrestlers they're wrestling looks weak.

could be wrong but i thought glover actually did wrestle (in brazil) before fighting, to answer your question though- the guy from nova uniao for a while were out wrestling everyone, lately it seems like people have caught up tho

Tatsuya Kawajiri

Started training Combat Sports at 19 and is now primarily a wrestler when he fights. Before that he trained baseball. Amazing considering how late he started.

Khabib wrestled as a child but he rapidly turned to sambo and judo, and he is with GSP among the absolute most effective wrestlers in MMA.

Conor McGregor

giphy.gif

Khabib and GSP don't have a wrestling background (well, Khabib wrestled as a child, but that's not his main background) and they are among the absolute most effective wrestlers in MMA.

Khabib has been wrestling his whole life, who told you he wasn't a wrestler? He is a master of sports in freestyle. Wrestling is in his DNA.

Khabib has been wrestling his whole life, who told you he wasn't a wrestler? He is a master of sports in freestyle. Wrestling is in his DNA.

Yeah, I changed my message, I had in mind that he only did sambo.

that double leg toss on shields is a sexy beast double legging kos miight be more impressive honestly but the one on shileds is just so pretty from a wrestling standpoint i cant help but look like an anime character right now
images

Back