good MMA gloves?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by koatliki, Aug 30, 2010.

1. koatliki

koatliki Guest

Hi,

I am new to MMA and I recently bought boxing gloves in our gym and they are not very convenient when you take the fight to the ground because I can't grab onto anything. Is that how it normally works?

Or should I get smaller gloves that allow grappling? Or would those be too painful for opponent if I punch them?

Any suggestions? Also what about mouth guards? Are these the best? O-Pro Mouthguards -- The World's Favourite Mouthguard

2. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Your coaches shouldn't have you trying to grapple with boxing gloves.

Try researching around the board for people's recommendations on MMA gloves. My favorite MMA gloves so far are the Aries Pro MMA. They have fantastic wrist support, and the IMF is perfect for sparring.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/review-aries-pro-mma-gloves-pics-1293479/

Also, what is your price range?

3. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I got some Blitz MMA gloves cheap but unless your British I doubt they'll ship too cheaply. I would suggest Aries Pro MMA unless you want serious quality and then hayabusa or Rival is probably where you should look.

Firepower MMA Gloves

4. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

If I tried to grapple in my boxing gloves it would be fail city...the thumb is strapped into place.

I like finger style grappling gloves, but you have to make sure you get a set for sparring - not competition. Combat sports has some decent ones on sale usually, and if you sign up for their newsletter you can get 20% off, which usually covers shipping.

5. koatliki

koatliki Guest

Well, we normally don't grapple in boxing gloves, but last time we had sorta a mini-cage fight, where everyone watched and we switched out partners and needless to say 'boxing part' would normally be about 10% of the fight and then you both go down and that's when boxing gloves aren't convenient.

My price is range is I am not sure about it: I got gloves/wrist wrap/shin guards for $120 in the gym that I go to, but I think they are all worth $60 online.

Is this something I shouldn't save on? Like mouth guard I'd just go for $50 if needed to protect my brain.

6. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

You can get good sparring gloves with dispersion that you can also grapple with for $15.

Combat Sports MMA Sparring Gloves-Combatsports.com

Mouthguard is something I don't like to skimp on, but sometimes it's necessary. Headgear all depends on how much you want to spend. You got hosed on your gear at the gym unless they're like hayabusa's or something. For $120 you should have been able to score gloves, wraps, shins, basic headgear (titan) and a cup/jock.

7. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

8. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

9. koatliki

koatliki Guest

Thank you everyone. Any suggestion for a mouth guard? I wouldn't want to save money on that..

10. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

11. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Did you decide on gloves, BTW?

12. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

boil and bites are OK for me in stand up sparring as long as it has an air channel like brain pads otherwise if I get kicked or hit the right way and exhale enough simple boil and bites (like century) just pop right out.

13. koatliki

koatliki Guest

Yep: so far I am split between these two:

Cageside MMA Safety Training Gloves * Black
    MMA Amateur Gloves by Cageside MMA

Second ones 'look cooler' but first one seems safer. Waiting to get home to measure my knuckles.

Also getting these:

Sprawl Fusion Shorts, White & Camo
    Shock Doctor Gel Nano + Mouth Guard Case
    Cageside Semi-Elastic Handwraps, 180" *NEW*

Not sure what those wraps are for, but thought I might as well throw them in now instead of having to pay for shipping fees again.

Anything else BJJ/MMA/Muay Thai noob would need? Are shin guards really important? I don't expect to go too hardcore on kicking/being kicked first few months really.

14. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Muay Thai? Shin guards are a must, ESPECIALLY for the beginner. My shins were black and purple my first month from light sparring alone.

I always hear positive feedback about Cageside. Nonetheless, since you're going for the whole package, I highly recommend the RenegadeMMA package--especially if you need grappling shin guards.

15. bleaK

bleaK Blue Belt

I've got a pair of Cageside MMA gloves, and other than the fact I cant find them (Room mate drunkenly lost them..dont even know how..) I love them. I'll probably be grabbing a second pair soon now.

16. soulsamurai

soulsamurai White Belt

+1 for combat sports mma sparring gloves i use them had em for awhile now

17. koatliki

koatliki Guest

Made my purchase. Thanks a lot to everyone who helped.