good MMA gloves?

K

koatliki

Hi,

I am new to MMA and I recently bought boxing gloves in our gym and they are not very convenient when you take the fight to the ground because I can't grab onto anything. Is that how it normally works?

Or should I get smaller gloves that allow grappling? Or would those be too painful for opponent if I punch them?

Any suggestions? Also what about mouth guards? Are these the best? O-Pro Mouthguards -- The World's Favourite Mouthguard

I got some Blitz MMA gloves cheap but unless your British I doubt they'll ship too cheaply. I would suggest Aries Pro MMA unless you want serious quality and then hayabusa or Rival is probably where you should look.

Firepower MMA Gloves

If I tried to grapple in my boxing gloves it would be fail city...the thumb is strapped into place.

I like finger style grappling gloves, but you have to make sure you get a set for sparring - not competition. Combat sports has some decent ones on sale usually, and if you sign up for their newsletter you can get 20% off, which usually covers shipping.

Well, we normally don't grapple in boxing gloves, but last time we had sorta a mini-cage fight, where everyone watched and we switched out partners and needless to say 'boxing part' would normally be about 10% of the fight and then you both go down and that's when boxing gloves aren't convenient.

My price is range is I am not sure about it: I got gloves/wrist wrap/shin guards for $120 in the gym that I go to, but I think they are all worth $60 online.

Is this something I shouldn't save on? Like mouth guard I'd just go for $50 if needed to protect my brain.

Well, we normally don't grapple in boxing gloves, but last time we had sorta a mini-cage fight, where everyone watched and we switched out partners and needless to say 'boxing part' would normally be about 10% of the fight and then you both go down and that's when boxing gloves aren't convenient.

My price is range is I am not sure about it: I got gloves/wrist wrap/shin guards for $120 in the gym that I go to, but I think they are all worth $60 online.

Is this something I shouldn't save on? Like mouth guard I'd just go for $50 if needed to protect my brain.

You can get good sparring gloves with dispersion that you can also grapple with for $15.

Combat Sports MMA Sparring Gloves-Combatsports.com

Mouthguard is something I don't like to skimp on, but sometimes it's necessary. Headgear all depends on how much you want to spend. You got hosed on your gear at the gym unless they're like hayabusa's or something. For $120 you should have been able to score gloves, wraps, shins, basic headgear (titan) and a cup/jock.

QUOTE]

Probably. My gym sells UFC MMA gloves for $40. THey're not even worth $10.

For $90 you can get a great set of X-Trainer shin guards, Renegade MMA's newly designed MMA gloves, and handwraps (MMA Shin Guards X-Trainer $49.99 Free Ship | Grappling - Kickboxing - Muay Thai).

Before you invest in gloves, make sure your coach allows it. No point in investing the cash if your coach doesn't want you to train with MMA gloves.

QUOTE]

Probably. My gym sells UFC MMA gloves for $40. THey're not even worth $10.

For $90 you can get a great set of X-Trainer shin guards, Renegade MMA's newly designed MMA gloves, and handwraps (MMA Shin Guards X-Trainer $49.99 Free Ship | Grappling - Kickboxing - Muay Thai).

Before you invest in gloves, make sure your coach allows it. No point in investing the cash if your coach doesn't want you to train with MMA gloves.

Also, make sure your gym allows outside gear. Believe it or not I've been to ones that don't allow you to bring new gear that wasn't purchased there while you're a member.

Thank you everyone. Any suggestion for a mouth guard? I wouldn't want to save money on that..

boil and bites are OK for me in stand up sparring as long as it has an air channel like brain pads otherwise if I get kicked or hit the right way and exhale enough simple boil and bites (like century) just pop right out.

Did you decide on gloves, BTW?

Yep: so far I am split between these two:

Cageside MMA Safety Training Gloves * Black
MMA Amateur Gloves by Cageside MMA

Second ones 'look cooler' but first one seems safer. Waiting to get home to measure my knuckles.

Also getting these:

Sprawl Fusion Shorts, White & Camo
Shock Doctor Gel Nano + Mouth Guard Case
Cageside Semi-Elastic Handwraps, 180" *NEW*

Not sure what those wraps are for, but thought I might as well throw them in now instead of having to pay for shipping fees again.

Anything else BJJ/MMA/Muay Thai noob would need? Are shin guards really important? I don't expect to go too hardcore on kicking/being kicked first few months really.

Muay Thai? Shin guards are a must, ESPECIALLY for the beginner. My shins were black and purple my first month from light sparring alone.

I always hear positive feedback about Cageside. Nonetheless, since you're going for the whole package, I highly recommend the RenegadeMMA package--especially if you need grappling shin guards.

I've got a pair of Cageside MMA gloves, and other than the fact I cant find them (Room mate drunkenly lost them..dont even know how..) I love them. I'll probably be grabbing a second pair soon now.

+1 for combat sports mma sparring gloves i use them had em for awhile now

Back