Good heighth for heavy bag?

N

NCMMAfan

I just got a heavy bag for XMas, and today my roommate and I set it up. It slipped my mind that the room we were gonna put it in was a finished garage and thus has a much higher ceiling than a normal room would. At the moment, the bag is 46" off the ground. It's too high up to throw body shots and it swings around like crazy since you're just hitting the bottom of the bag. Obviously I'm gonna buy a longer chain for it, but I was wondering if anyone knew a specific distance it should be from the ground?

I dont know specific but i think my gyms bags only hang maybe 6inches off the ground. If your bag is 46 inches off the ground and it is a six foot bag thats like training to fight Giant Sylva or something heh.

codysweet02 said:
I dont know specific but i think my gyms bags only hang maybe 6inches off the ground. If your bag is 46 inches off the ground and it is a six foot bag thats like training to fight Giant Sylva or something heh.

I'll keep that in mind, maybe I can train to fight Valuev or something.

**EDIT** Just re-read your post, my bag is not 6 feet, more like 42" or so. In fact that seems abnormally large for a bag (but maybe you're talking about a Thai boxing bag? I don't know much about them.)

I hang all my heavy bags 10inches over my height. I'm 6'2 so the top of my 6 ft bag is 10" higher at 7'2".

depends on the bag (i.e. banana vs heavy vs tear drop)
depdends on the goal (body shots, head shots, kicks)
depends on the person (their height)
depends on density (if the bag has settled)

Bumping since I have the same question and this thread didn't really generate a ton of responses. To answer anvar's questions:

• Type of bag: Heavy
  • Goal: Head and body shots primarily, kicks would be nice but I'll probably get a banana bag for that.
  • Height: Shouldn't matter, right? Just looking for relative heights here i.e. how far above/below my head should the top of the bag be?
  • Density: It's a new bag, but when it settles I'll do what it takes to unsettle it.

ha8johnny's suggestion of 10" above the head sounds good, but I'm interested in hearing any possible differing opinions...

Back