Good gyms in Toronto

jackstraw424

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, im new to the forums so im not sure if this is the right place to post. Anyways, if all goes well and I can get into my college program in January (Humber North campus) then Ill be moving to Toronto in the new year. Ive done a little bit of research on gyms in the area and I really had my heart set on Toronto BJJ (I read they have a handfull of Chute boxe guys teaching there). The only problem is its pretty far from the school (30k-ish) and I dont know how long transportation would take to get there and back (an hour both ways + class time a couple nights a week might be too hard to manage with school). So I was wondering if anyone can recomend some good gyms in the area? Im really interested in BJJ and I wanted to do Muay Thai as well to learn some stand up and for fitness reasons. Thanks for any help.

There are tons of credible gym in the area with fighters who either run them or regularly train there. Check out Kombat Arts, Elite Training Centre run by Claude Patrick, and if you're really interested in BJJ then check out Shilling BJJ, Bocek trains there often as well. Training Ground is great for kick-boxing, but if you want the total package check out Kombat Arts.

Closest ones to Humber North I could find (checking out google maps) Welcome to MATADOR MIXED MARTIAL ARTS Academy Website! - about 10-15 minutes (11km)
Welcome To Lanna Muay Thai Canada - Team Burklerk (8km)

The others seemed to be 20+km away which I would assume is a little far for you (i'm assuming no car).

I've never been to either, but they're worth trying. Matador has a weeks free trial, and offers BJJ, no-gi Submission Wrestling, and their "K1 MMA Striking" program. Doesn't offer actual Muay Thai, though.

Lanna MT, however, is only MT (as far as I can tell).

I live in Toronto and go to Humber North Campus, but I have a car and commute to my home academy in Scarborough (Salvosa BJJ).

Your best bet would be Xtreme Couture Toronto. It takes about 30 minutes by bus, and the stops are right infront of both places.

I dont mean to derail this thread but Im in a similar situation, except I live in Mississauga. I want to start with wrestling though, is there any good wrestling gyms here.

Also Im 19 and will be twenty in six months. So is 19 or 20 too old to start wrestling?

I dont mean to derail this thread but Im in a similar situation, except I live in Mississauga. I want to start with wrestling though, is there any good wrestling gyms here.

Also Im 19 and will be twenty in six months. So is 19 or 20 too old to start wrestling?
Kombat arts has a wrestling program twice a week. I live in Mississauga an the gym is only 20 minutes from my house.

1110 Kamato Road

Kombat arts has a wrestling program twice a week. I live in Mississauga an the gym is only 20 minutes from my house.

1110 Kamato Road
Yea I know of Kombat Arts but is the wrestling program good? The main reason I hesitate to go there is because they do it only twice a week but on the plus side they also seem to have bjj classes.

i am in the same situation as well.

i live in toronto, currently do muay thai at tkmt , but it is quite a commute.

anyone heard of REVMMA? for bjj?

torontobjj?

i'm looking for a place i can park myself at for bjj.

i've never done bjj before.

Some of the people from my MT gym go to Karma to train BJJ. Its in Woodbridge just off Hiway 7.

190 Marycroft Ave Unit 15
Woodbridge, ON
L4L 5C8

ph: (905) 264-6119

Good timing. Anyone train at Lin Martial Arts? I'm considering trying their Thornhill location.

Is it mostly gi or nogi? Thanks :D

I think Im gunna try to try out all the gyms mentioned (they usually have free trials right?) but Xtreme Couture Toronto seems like they have everything I could want in a gym (a little big though) with convienient transportation which is a big plus.

Have you heard anything on TorontoBjj? this gym is closest to me (still not even that close really) ..

?

Have you heard anything on TorontoBjj? this gym is closest to me (still not even that close really) ..

?

torontobjj is one of the biggest bjj schools out there.
im with salvosa bjj acension, awesome people and awesome school located in scarborough.

toronto bjj is great, that is where i train.

if you are close by you should stop in.

toronto bjj is great, that is where i train.

if you are close by you should stop in.

hey mike,

i cant seem to get onto the nafightstore website.
is it down at the moment?
looking to purchase some gear.

Bravado BJJ is 22 min away from Humber North by public transport (according to google maps that is)

Toronto BJJ has a great reputation, but I've only ever done two free trial classes there - at the time I knew nothing about bjj and was in such poor shape that I didn't really appreciate the opportunity. I have a friend who trains there and really likes the quality of instruction. I'd definitely recommend checking it out for yourself.

My bjj journey ended up with me training at OpenMat, run by Elliott Bayev. It's a small(er) club compared to TBJJ, with a great friendly atmosphere. It's right at the Yonge/Bloor subway so it's central and easy to get to.

OpenMat BJJ, Toronto

There is a promotion going at the moment - if you come for a free class during August, you get 30 days free. :) (/shameless plug)

Back