1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Good grappling shoes

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by steevil, Dec 14, 2005.

1. steevil

steevil Orange Belt

Tonight while rolling, i was mounted and went to bridge the guy, got him half way over, then dislocated my toe somehow. luckily after a few hours i managed to pop the little bastard back in.

although i'd prefer rolling in bare feet, i think i should invest in some shoes to wear while training to eliminate a similar injury occuring again. does anyone have any recommendations and/or links to a place where i can get some quality shoes.

2. triso

triso Green Belt

You can get decent wrestling shoes from your local Modells. Just go to the sneaker section and ask an employee if they have wrestling shoes. They should go in the back and get them for you.

3. Gsoares2***

Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

I really dont like wearing shoes on the mat, and its disrespectful. To me its just more uncomfortable. Brushing someones face with a shoe is a shitty thing to do too.
    Just man up and go barefoot.

If you really want shoes, ive heard alot of good things about adidas.. Google search for the best prices

4. owai

owai Yellow Belt

Yeah i know how you feel i want to get some wrestling shoes but i feel disrespectful and also my instructor wears them and i know how bad being kicked in the face with a shoe is , it always seems more painfull then barefoot!
    Also as we only train no gi when the post their foot on your hips or legs you end up being scraped and your legs always look like they've been raped :p
    i say tape your toe up if your worried about it being popped out of place.

5. Jaxx

Jaxx Green Belt

Wrestling shoes are on my Christmas list, busted up toes, mat burn and my toe nail on my big toe going black then falling off meant shoes are now a must. Brushing someones face with a shoe or with a foot is one and the same, accidents happen in grappling. What to you train in for shoes to be disrespectful?

6. triso

triso Green Belt

It's not disrespectful. Especially if you train Wrestling or Submission Grappling.

7. Coach Couzo

Coach Couzo Orange Belt

Unless you're feet are injured, I would not recommend wearing shoes in BJJ/Submission Wrestling. This is saying something, considering my freestyle wrestling background.

Why?
    Bas has said several times that the problem with shoes is they make great targets (heel hooks, toe holds, etc.). I agree with Bas, it is difficult to escape leg attacks while wearing shoes. I recommend taping your toes/foot - http://ejmas.com/pt/ptart_PKim_0100.htm

Hope this helps...

8. Gaylon Cooper

Gaylon Cooper Orange Belt Professional Fighter

I would say asics but I hate every shoe they have out now. I would go with a pair of adidas.

9. Jaxx

Jaxx Green Belt

I guess it is down to the individual in the end, im a Sambo/MMA dude and wearing shoes helps me go to work the next day without cut feet. In practice i would rather have protected feet than worry about one of my buddies catching me in a heelhook/toe hold. In a competitive MMA match i would go barefoot.

Adidas Pretoro is my wrestling boot of choice.

10. dutchmasterj3

dutchmasterj3 Blue Belt

shoes are for pussies. Plus, it is something for someone to grab on to when applying foot locks.

11. Nate Pringle

Nate Pringle Yellow Belt

^^^ i agree with this guy. shoes make me want to tear the persons whole leg off while without them i only want the foot

12. sproggdawg

sproggdawg Nap Facilitator

Right.........

13. tequilaman

tequilaman Guest

OK FIRST... this guy is injured and it sounds like this is a temporary solution, not a competition strategy. So talking about footlocks here is a bit premature.

Second, you might want to try thin Sambo shoes, which have leather bottoms as opposed to rubber soles. They are less intrusive and you can use them likes leather socks more or less. They are hard to find though.

Finally, if shoes leave you open for footlocks, why do all the Sambo guys, a martial art that focuses on footlocks, use them?

Something to think about...

http://www.ambersports.com/samboshoes.htm

14. Coach Couzo

Coach Couzo Orange Belt

Great points ... I recant my previous statement. Now where is that edit button...?

15. Bloody Pulp

Bloody Pulp Silver Belt

I've got some Asics. They're pretty comfortable, but oddly enough, I've yet to grapple in them. Meh.

www.asics.com

16. Reveen

Reveen Purple Belt

Perhaps these would be to your liking, Daffodil.

17. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
  18. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

If you're rolling bare foot, expect to jack your feet up. Broken toes, mat-toe (I get this every year), dislocation, nail ripped off, severe bruising, etc....That shit will happen sooner or later. That said, if you compete bare foot, you should practice bare foot. If you have an injury, tape it, if you can't tape it, wear shoes until it heals but not longer. I'm a wrestler so I prefer shoes, but I've rolled with some pros and this is the advice they gave me. I'm just passing it on. If you decide to buy shoes, Adidas has some pimp ass shoes on the market right now. good luck

19. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

Sure if you're into the whole "brett the hitman hart" thang......Them bad boys are heinous...

20. colinm

colinm Brown Belt

i have chronic turf toe and have broken my little toes countless times from training on soft ass wrestling mats. whenever it happens i just tape them up until they feel better. tape is the only way to go, imo.