The Incal

eecadfe8-cc08-4bb8-876f-a440eea9dd5a_zps6e60b0ec.jpg

White Lama

c17326f6-268e-462f-87b9-5a33e2953eb8_zpse98bb75a.jpg

Madwoman Of The Sacred Heart

3acabcb3-5ffa-45cf-ba9f-e20c728aa755_zps972442c2.jpg

The Technopriests

584187c0-6770-42b1-b47c-2546f684f4cf_zps3d4887f0.jpg

Although not American or European comic books, you might still want to take a look at these:

Berserk

9781593073312.jpg

BLAME!

jj507538_zpsb9772a2f.jpg

Vinland Saga

b4b9ef11-d310-458a-8673-ab3187ed2307_zpsdb7fa25c.jpg

Akira

0b99f840-7afb-44ee-a45b-cadcaef3f4bf_zpse81ffe73.jpg

Dorohedoro

8ce1813b-76c5-41e0-a217-f304950d6e89_zpsff95b434.jpg

How has it been three pages and no one mentioned BONE?

I was gonna mention that one but I wasn't sure if it's what TS was looking for, but it does fit.

Edit: Forgot to add Dr. McNinja and The Goon.

Last edited:
For more of my recommendations, go to the Comic Book Discussion thread (post #2 to #6)

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=92302481#post92302481

THE ULTIMATES Book 1 and 2 by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch

- Marvel's modern reimagining of the Avengers' origin. It's gritty, realistic, funny, and thoroughly entertaining. Noticed how the Hulk comes to town or a city and destroys it but with no human casualty? F*ck that shit. This Hulk version kills 800 people in Manhattan in just a few minutes. Book 1 volume 2 is the best when the team defend against an alien invasion. Warning: Stay away from Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, it's total crap.

2ewyzhf.jpg

Will back up this claim, the Ultimates is/was awesome.

Got through Ultimates Vol 1 and 2 over the past week or so, those were freakin fantastic.

Finally got around to reading Ultimates 3. Now I know what all the fuss was about. Only good thing in that train-wreck is a silhouette of Scarlet Witch's mother, Magda.

Hippie Thor, republican Captain America and playboy drunk Tony (the movie version is closer to ultimate than how he usually is/was in regular MU) is what makes the ultimates great.

I enjoyed all the characters and their dynamics in the first two volumes myself. Pretty epic.

Ultimates vol 1 and 2 are must reads. It's an awesome book.

I just started reading The Ultimates vol. 1 like this thread recommends. The Ultimates vol. 1 and vol. 2 was the shit! Man, why can't Mark Millar write stories like this anymore? I mean, I liked Kick-Ass and all, but this was fucking awesome! I liked Ultimates vol. 1 story as a whole, but I like the final battle in Ultimates vol. 2 better. Felt bad for Banner in both books. Made for an awesome redemption story later. Hulk was pretty fucking hilarious. I loved the Hulk.

So, I've been on a total Ultimate-binge recently. Can't believe I haven't read anything of it before. Goddamn awesome stuff. So, regarding The Ultimates and Ultimate Avengers. I fucking love Captain America! He's the bees tits.

Ultimates vol 1 and 2 were both excellent

OLD MAN LOGAN by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven

- Set over fifty years in the future in which the world's supervillains band together to finally kill all the superheroes. An older Wolverine, who is now a pacifist and content in raising his family on a farm, is forced to accompany a blind Hawkeye to pay off the Hulk hillbilly clan for the land's rent. The duo travel across a post-apocalyptic America to deliver a secret package that might give the good guys a fighting chance to reclaim the country. Also the best road trip comic book ever made.

1374772426_6060_66.jpg

Uh, yeah DL. You weren't kidding. Old Man Logan was fuckin' AWESOME. Tons of fun. I haven't liked McNiven's art in some other stuff but it was perfect for the tone of this series.

OML was awesome.

Millar's 'Old Man Logan' on the otherhand was the tits.

Old Man Logan is awesome.

Old Man Logan is very good.

Locke and Key

Boom. Exactly what I came to say. It's by Joe Hill, son of Stephen King and a good author if horror stories himself, though he reads more like King mixed with a bit of Neil Gaimans fantasy sensibilities.

Locke and Key is a great read. I need to get caught up on it. If I'm not mistaken, the final trade has either been published if will be published soon.

Also, Preacher. And Fear Agent if a brilliant throwback to the 50's era sci fi serial told through a modern writer sounds like your bag.

Hellboy
"Seed of Destruction" is Top 10 Graphic Novel of all time.
https://forbiddenplanet.com/picks/50-best-graphic-novels/

hellboy1.jpg

B.P.R.D.
bprd06.jpg

POWERS

"Who Killed Retro Girl" is one of the top 50 Graphic Novels of all time.
https://forbiddenplanet.com/picks/50-best-graphic-novels/

42456-6472-48393-1-powers.jpg

Is it just me or was the artwork in Seed of Destruction the best there was in all of the Hellboy Graphic Novels? I'd also like to add

B.P.R.D. 1946
14711.jpg

and

Abe Sapien The Drowning
14702.jpg

Both were some of the freakiest stories in the Mignolaverse I've read.

Is it just me or was the artwork in Seed of Destruction the best there was in all of the Hellboy Graphic Novels? I'd also like to add
B.P.R.D. 1946
14711.jpg

and

Abe Sapien The Drowning
14702.jpg
Both were some of the freakiest stories in the Mignolaverse I've read.

The Drowning is awesome!

IMO, HB "The Wild Hunt" and "The Storm and the Fury" are the ultimate HB stories, art (Fegredo) and all. But I love Conqueror Worm, too (Mignola). If its not one of those two artists, its only half a Hellboy book. Seed is awesome tho, and it has that gritty, dark feel that tends to wane down the line).

The Drowning is awesome!

IMO, HB "The Wild Hunt" and "The Storm and the Fury" are the ultimate HB stories, art (Fegredo) and all. But I love Conqueror Worm, too (Mignola). If its not one of those two artists, its only half a Hellboy book. Seed is awesome tho, and it has that gritty, dark feel that tends to wane down the line).

I fucking loved Conqueror Worm and it also has this sort of creepy factor same with the Drowning where you see otherwise mundane things made unsettling creepy(The psychic radio in Conqueror Worm and the inside of the church in Drowning). There were a number of other great stories like Right Hand of Doom and Box Full of Evil, Strange Places, and Darkness Calls.

Last edited:
I fucking loved Conqueror Worm and it also has this sort of creepy factor same with the Drowning where you see otherwise mundane things made unsettling creepy(The psychic radio in Conqueror Worm and the inside of the church in Drowning). There were a number of other great stories like Box Full of Evil, Strange Places, and Darkness Calls.
116951-did-we-just-become-best-friend-qMcD.gif

tumblr_ly9l8zBEVr1qgflnho1_500.gif

The long Halloween and Watchmen are the only answers to this.

Not a graphic novel but Y the last man is a must read too.

Out of curiosity, how did you feel about the film adaptions? I really didn't like the whole romance angle with Liz and the characterization of Abe as compared to how he is in the comics.

Major gripes:

1. Overall, a little too campy. They should have been much darker.

2. Romance angle. Didn't like it at all -- but Hellboy's "hey, you, on the other side..." line was cool.

3. Golden Army. I loved the old story told in the beginning with the puppets, that was brilliant imo. I just didn't like the real world Golden Army storyline.

4. Johann. I thought he was too campy, but the special effects with him were outstanding.

Other than that, I love them. Del Toro's vision, Perlman, Rasputin & Prince Nuanda, the Forest God. Perfect. I wish they shoehorned Nuanda into the comic. I just wish it was telling an ongoing story, rather than 2 (3) self contained movies.

Major gripes:

1. Overall, a little too campy. They should have been much darker.

2. Romance angle. Didn't like it at all -- but Hellboy's "hey, you, on the other side..." line was cool.

3. Golden Army. I loved the old story told in the beginning with the puppets, that was brilliant imo. I just didn't like the real world Golden Army storyline.

4. Johann. I thought he was too campy, but the special effects with him were outstanding.

Other than that, I love them. Del Toro's vision, Perlman, Rasputin & Prince Nuanda, the Forest God. Perfect. I wish they shoehorned Nuanda into the comic. I just wish it was telling an ongoing story, rather than 2 (3) self contained movies.

Pretty much agree on all of them. I've always felt that long runners with more continuous stories like Hellboy would work better as TV series or animated feature, preferably the latter, but my hope and expectations of Hollywood in that regard are not very high. Japan on the other hand,

[YT]KZLoEllD82k[/YT]

Not to mention artists/writers like Douman Seiman in how they draw and shade their work and some of their story material(masked luchadors, occult and demons, eldritch abominations, etc.).

Cerebus.

DaveSim_CerebusCover.jpg

Possibly the most uncompromising comic of all time. Certainly puts the "novel" in "graphic novel", in more ways than one. Be warned.

Also agree with post #18. Love and Rockets is a good read. Comics doesn't have to be all about superheroes, explosions and dystopian futures.

Back