Good fighters that...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by pick999, May 16, 2019.

1. pick999

pick999 Silver Belt

Never got their moment in the sun.

I'll start with gegard.fought and beat alot of good fighters but not really in the UFC.

2. Qwerty1

Qwerty1 Green Belt

Donald Cerrone, always came up short. Just depends on what you mean ''moment in the sun''. He has had great moments but has yet to have it on the biggest stage.

reddhelium likes this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Yellow Belt

I know he's a meme, but Kenny Florian was a good fighter who never quite got over

4. Qwerty1

Qwerty1 Green Belt

I remember thinking how awful Kenny Florian looked on TUF, and being shocked how much better he got. I think he even got to the finals against Diego, but for some reason i remember thinking he was terrible back then.

5. Drugstore Cowboy

Drugstore Cowboy Black Hole Johnny 

Mirko in the UFC.

<DCrying>

Damn Gabriel...

6. Hotora86

Hotora86 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tony Ferguson
    Yoel Romero
    Jacare Souza
    Wonderboy Thompson
    Lyoto Machida at MW

Off the top of my head - all of these guys could have been champions with a bit of luck but missed the belt due to various circumstances.

7. kabanos

kabanos Green Belt Platinum Member

Stipe

8. Thepaintbucket

Thepaintbucket Silver Belt

Stipe was champion and defended multiple times. Is that not enough? lol

Ice Cold and GBJohn like this.
  9. Steerpike

Steerpike Yellow Belt

Might have been to do with him fighting much bigger guys, maybe? He was pre 145 wasn't he? Still, he seemed to improve over time and had a decent finishing instinct. You'd never know it from his assistant manager at the bookshop persona, but he had his moments

10. tonil

tonil ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

11. lrkjr

lrkjr Yellow Belt

It was probably because he only fought once to make the finals. He was getting beat easily by Leben, but landed one short elbow that sliced Leben's brow open and caused a doctor's stoppage. Then at the finale Diego ran right through him. In retrospect it makes sense for a natural mw like Leben to dominate him, and Diego was the 11-0 KOTC ww champ while Kenny was only 2-1 at the finale. I thought the same thing at the time.

12. reddhelium

reddhelium Black Belt

chris lytle. more than 20 ufc fights, but never a title shot.

13. VinceArch

VinceArch Venom in the veins.

Jeremy Stephens. Been there with some legendary fighters but never got the W that would have gotten into a title contention.

14. Where you at Georges?

Where you at Georges? Driver of the Thiago Santos Warwagon!

I thought he beat Serra in there first fight and it was close but I thought he beat Marcus Davis

He was doing well against Alves but unfortunately it was stopped after round 1 due to a cut

15. Shotokan Dragon

Shotokan Dragon Orange Belt

Jacare's had some terrible luck. Romero getting that decision over him was utterly ridiculous. I could maybe stomach a draw, but there's no feasible way you could have Romero winning that fight. He did literally nothing after R1. I thought Jacare beat Kelvin, as well.

Wonderboy's UFC career will likely go down as very underappreciated, over time, if context isn't presented. Finishing Hendricks in the first round, at the time he did, was extremely impressive. Of the three guys to beat Rory at 170, WB was the only one to make it look easy. I didn't have him losing either Woodley fight; I scored the first a draw, and the second for WB (admittedly, it was a snoozer). So... I thought he should've been champ, and most fans/media outlets agree. His win over Masvidal wasn't just good - it was highly impressive, because virtually all of Jorge's losses are razor-thin/debatable. That wasn't a competitive fight in the slightest. He just got starched by Pettis, but, as we know, was winning every second of that fight.

Hotora86 likes this.