good fighters for me to watch?

shouldercharge

Dave Camarillo idoliser
Reaction score
ive just recently started to train boxing and mma.
im 5'8 196lbs will fight at 185 so i'm short,i'm quite pwoerful but my reactions arent overly quick i like to have a solid guard and block punches rather than bobbing/weaving and using attribute based defense.like to use my jab and leg kick with lateral movement to get in and then unload once i'm on the inside with body shots,hooks and uppercuts.

who are some good boxers/kickboxers/mixed martial artists that i can view tape on with similar styles??

Last edited:
mike zambidis

This.

The best boxer I can think of with that style is Mike Tyson, he used a peak- a- boo type guard, used lateral movement to get inside and unload with hooks to the body & brutal uppercuts.

As for MMA fighters, it sounds like you fight similar to Matt Serra.

ive just recently started to train boxing and mma.
im 5'8 196lbs will fight at 185 so i'm short,i'm quite pwoerful but my reactions arent overly quick i like to have a solid guard and block punches rather than bobbing/weaving and using attribute based defense.like to use my jab and leg kick with lateral movement to get in and then unload once i'm on the inside with body shots,hooks and uppercuts.

who are some good boxers/kickboxers/mixed martial artists that i can view tape on with similar styles??

Boxers: Miguel Cotto, James Kirkland, Alfredo Angulo, Arthur Abraham, Victor Ortiz, Marvin Hagler, Juan Manuel Lopez

Kickboxers: Zambidis, Andy Souwer, Melvin Manhoef, Giorgio Petrosyan, Artur Kyshenko, Ernesto Hoost

MMA: ?.... Pat Barry, Thiago Alves

Last edited:
Thiago Alves for mma-striking.

You could also check out some Rampage-fights for looking at how he uses blocking against punches

Some excellent defensive boxers not mentioned yet would include Winky Wright, Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whittaker, Floyd Mayweather, James Toney, Prince Naseem, Willie Pep, Wilfred Benitez (The Radar),

One of my favourite little known defensive fighter was Nicolino Loche, referred to as "untouchable", his defense was insane.

In MMA, Rampages use of the "Crazy Monkey" defense as taught by Rodney King formely of Straight Blast Gym has at times been extremely effective and impressive to watch.

Good luck!

Some excellent defensive boxers not mentioned yet would include Winky Wright, Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whittaker, Floyd Mayweather, James Toney, Prince Naseem, Willie Pep, Wilfred Benitez (The Radar),

One of my favourite little known defensive fighter was Nicolino Loche, referred to as "untouchable", his defense was insane.

In MMA, Rampages use of the "Crazy Monkey" defense as taught by Rodney King formely of Straight Blast Gym has at times been extremely effective and impressive to watch.

Good luck!

Prince Naseem, defensive!? I would hardly call him a defensive boxer. Nor would i call JT defensive, dont get me wrong he is good at sliding and rolling off shots, but he takes his fair share too! I don't of his style as defensive (even though he is good at making ya miss). James doesn't mind taking a shot, and will gladly do so to return the favor, hence, more offensive counter fighter (slickster). Hopkins is more in line with a defensive slickster style boxer, than Toney, just opinion though.

Nicolino Loche...... names not familiar, gonna have to check him out, do you know when he was boxing (what years) and what weight?

Good luck!

Rampage's striking defense is excellent.....

i'm quite pwoerful but my reactions arent overly quick i like to have a solid guard and block punches rather than bobbing/weaving and using attribute based defense.

You should check out Winky Wright and Joshua Clottey for boxers.

There's actually a shit ton of kickboxers in K-1 at heavyweight that fight in the style you described.

I mean Ernesto Hoost is kind of the archetype of the style you're talking about - solid defense and chop his foes down with leg kicks and shots on the inside. Beat Crocop twice with that style. (Crocop being the athletic, attribute based style you're saying you don't want to use)

Don't want to hijack this thread, but this is a great idea and I didn't want to start a whole new one. I'm 5'9", about 145 pounds, very small build, training muay thai. I'm not planning to go pro or even amateur but I'd love to watch some fighters with similar bodies and see if I could improve myself. Any recommendations?

Mike zambidis , miguel cotto , ricky hatton , thiago alves , paul daley.

There's actually a shit ton of kickboxers in K-1 at heavyweight that fight in the style you described.

I mean Ernesto Hoost is kind of the archetype of the style you're talking about - solid defense and chop his foes down with leg kicks and shots on the inside. Beat Crocop twice with that style. (Crocop being the athletic, attribute based style you're saying you don't want to use)

At 5'9 and 190 I'd be very surprised if he could fight anything like Hoost. Maybe Mark Hunt or Sefo but Mr Perfect?

At 5'9 and 190 I'd be very surprised if he could fight anything like Hoost. Maybe Mark Hunt or Sefo but Mr Perfect?

quick response....... find tape of Andy Souwer!

im 5'8 196lbs will fight at 185 so i'm short,i'm quite pwoerful but my reactions arent overly quick

Does this sound like Andy Souwer to you. He's about the same height but 40 pounds heavier. You guys think he's suited to Hoost or Souwer's style... both those guys have great reaction speed and near flawless technique and timing.

Ray Sefo would be the one of the best technical fighters for his apparent body type.

Does this sound like Andy Souwer to you. He's about the same height but 40 pounds heavier. You guys think he's suited to Hoost or Souwer's style... both those guys have great reaction speed and near flawless technique and timing.

Ray Sefo would be the one of the best technical fighters for his apparent body type.

Agreed....... But reaction speed and timing can be learned and improved. Ray Sefo is definitely more in line with his description, Just added A Souwer as a good guy to watch because he is similar in height and as you note "nearly flawless" in his technique. You can watch fights where it looks like he is brawling it out, play it back in slo-mo and every movement is near perfect technique......

Back