Good deal for overpriced SelectTech 50lb dumbells (set+stand shipped under 300)

brackis1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My first ever S&P post so go easy on a frailer poster who considers 50lb dumbells heavy enough. Good deal for those with limited space I believe.
From here: HOT, LOWER PRICE: Bowflex SelectTech 552 Dumbbells $216.75 + Shipping || Dumbells + Stand - $268.50-$298.50 + Free Next Day Air!!! - SlickDeals.net Forums
Hot deal at mystore.24hourfitness.com:

MyStore Product Categories SelectTech 552 Dumbells - $216.75 (the site lists them Nautilus, but the description says Bowflex)
MyStore Product Categories SelectTech 552 Stand -$81.75

Order both, and there's no charge for tax, with free NEXT DAY AIR SHIPPING!! (Thanks for the info, freyguy50!)
$216.75+ $81.75= $298.50 total for both (that's $100 less than it normally costs for the dumbbells alone!!).

Cheaper for 24 Hour Fitness members: $279 shipped (Thanks, pokymon!)

If you're looking for a way to get cheaper price and don't care to get matching stand, you can add the SelectTech 220 stand instead for $51.75, making the total $268.50 (Note: the 220 is made to hold 20lb dumbbells, so must likely will not hold the 552s)

I like how they advertise it.

Adjust in 2.5 lb increments (up to the first 25 lbs) so you can gradually increase your strength without bulking up.

I like how they have their own cute little stand. Id rather get standard ones for a fraction of the price.

Honestly, the best way to go with dumbells is to just get a set of handles and then plates to load them up to whatever weight you need. My friend had some of those Bowflex ones and after one drop one them exploded and is now useless.

Crud, man, at the local Play It Again I can get dumbbell handles for $10 each, and used plates for 30 cents a pound.

So to put together two adjustable dumbbells with 50 lbs. potential max weight...

2 dumbbell handles x $10 each = $20

95 lbs. plates (8 10's, 2 5's, 2 2.5's) x .30 per pound = $28.50

Total = $48.50

I didn

Unless you're DJ Qualls or a crippled woman, you will quickly out grow a set of 50 lb. dumbells.

Even though they seem heavy to you now, you will have no use for them in a few months.

Get a set of adjustable handles and some plates.

Honestly, the best way to go with dumbells is to just get a set of handles and then plates to load them up to whatever weight you need. My friend had some of those Bowflex ones and after one drop one them exploded and is now useless.

I regret to inform you that I own a pair. The main thing I use them for is snatches, and when I set them on the ground the little "plates" always fall off and fuck me up. I just dropped one last week and the fucker finally cracked, so now I can only get certain weights out of it. The other one is on it's way out too. I am going to look and see if I have some warranty info or anything for them, though I've had them for like a year and a half now. Bottom line is I would never get them again or recommend them to anyone. Just get normal weights that you can adjust higher than 52.5 lbs.

Back