Good basic no- gi guard pass?

im taking it the OP is white belt level too. so without someone showing him in detail adjusting what HE is doing wrong he will be getting the basics wrong too. it goes back to what most of us agree about (or most of us argue about).. you need to be in a legit gym in front of a legit instructor to really make the most of your game. watching youtube videos all day isn't going to do much for you regardless the quality.

then again im not on your level lechien or even redaxe.. i can watch my wife's cats fight in the living room and try to incorporate it into my game.

cats play nasty guard to be honest... I am not a cat person but find it cool to watch

As far as Submissions 101, some of their shit is just wrong. The way that "brown belt" broke guard and dove his hands through was crap. Not just that, though. Even as a whitebelt, you can pick up bad habits watching people with bad habits. Think about it, when you watch somebody do a technique, you're mirroring their movements. So, if I watch Ali boxing for 30 min. and then imitate his punches I'm probably going to have much better form than if I watch some amateur.

This is like the movie Multiplicity where the guy clones himself. Then one of the clones clones itself and the resulting 2nd generation clone is retarded. This is the same principle.

multiplicity_1996_685x385.jpg

multiplicity80.jpg

^lol at the Multiplicity analogy.

I find Submissions101 to be actively terrible, the techniques Ari does show no understanding of leverage and would never work on a resisting opponent. TrainFightWin is a bit better, and that video posted above is actually pretty decent but I've seen some other videos from them where techniques were demonstrated rather poorly. They're kind of hit-or-miss, I think the guy understands some techniques quite well and others not so well (but he still makes videos about them anyway). And also, he looks like Bobby from King of the Hill.

That Team Balance one looks good but it moves a little fast, he's showing several different variations in a row. Kind of advanced.

Here's a good one by JJ Machado, but again it's a little advanced:

and here's another good one by Saulo, he talks for a while at the beginning to explain the concepts and behind how the guard pass works, and then he demonstrates just one guard pass on his brother Xande. This one is good for a beginner to watch:

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for the feedback, guys. I'd say that in some areas, I consider myself above whitebelt level, and in others I barely have a clue. I can roll w/ blue shirts my size at the gym I go to, and occasionally get a tap. I have decent sweep & sub defense inside someone's guard & hg, and my side control game is for sure my strongest. One thing I have gotten down quite well is maintaining position and making myself heavy from side, and i'm especially adroit at isolating arms & getting keylocks. I also have a fairly decent far- side armbar, and arm triangle.

But yeah, I'll try giving some of these a shot. Normally the instructor's down to help us out during open roll, and so I'll prolly have him give me some pointers.

Back