Good basic no- gi guard pass?

Connoisseur

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to say hello, 1'st time posting on this sub- forum (with this account).

So basically, I've been training jits on and off for 3 years now. For the last 3 summers, to be exact. All my training has been no- gi, and since i've gone to several different gyms i've yet to really get the basics down of 1 style/ system of jits. I spent a summer at Legion BJJ in Vegas (Cameron Diffley, Forrest's BJJ coach for TUF 7 is the head instructor), as well as a summer working at Xtreme Couture under Neil Melanson. Nowadays, i'm at a 10'th planet jits affiliate in Spokane WA called "The Hit Pit", and i'm digging it quite a bit.

But I digress. What I wanted to ask was, what's a reliable, go- to guard pass for a big/ tall guy (6'2 220)? I have relatively good posture, and decent enough balance that I can stand up and sometimes get a knee cut or something, but against higher level guys I really have trouble getting past guard. I don't get sucked into rubber guard very often, and when I am chest to chest I try to get my posture back up ASAP. I can also sometimes bait guys w/ an arm & get a knee cut.

But what's a good, reliable guard pass that you'd recommend?

For you build ide go for double unders and really smash with your weight.

OK cool, I found a good vid on youtube of that.

I've tried something similar before, but I think my problem was that I stood up w/ both legs, as opposed to sticking a knee in their back and then posting with the other leg. I will try this one in practice

Flik is right. I find big guys who do that pass are very successful with it.

It isn't very pretty but the standard throw legs to one side and drop your shoulder to the other always seem to work well for the big boys.

Hands in his armpits, elbows against his side, low posture, push off and make your body long to stretch him out, wedge your knee in between his legs and bring your arms in close, pressure against his hips with your arms and keep your elbows in tight (so you dont get triangled), and push off backward again to break his guard open. Then you should be in combat base with his guard open, now all you have to do is pressure down on one of his legs, get an underhook on the other side, and do a knee slide type pass.

This is the most basic "go-to" no-gi guard pass, and it's what you should work on when your opponent isn't giving you anything else.

The double-under is good against open guard, and it's more technical than it seems. It's much more than just throwing his legs out of the way, and it takes some practice to get good at it. Ask your instructor to five you some pointers on it.

Redaxe, I vaguely follow what you're saying, but is there a formal name for this pass? Or a video out there I could watch?

Because that sounds like a good move, but i'd like to get a clear idea in my mind of what the mechanics are and everything.

just look for knee slice guard pass on youtube

Don't watch Submissions101 or TrainFightWin, they will make your jiu-jitsu worse, not better.

I've gotta run to BJJ class now, but I'll look for a video to post here when I get back.

OK cool, I found a good vid on youtube of that.

I've tried something similar before, but I think my problem was that I stood up w/ both legs, as opposed to sticking a knee in their back and then posting with the other leg. I will try this one in practice

Do not ever rely on Submissions 101. Best advice you'll ever get.

Don't watch Submissions101 or TrainFightWin, they will make your jiu-jitsu worse, not better.

I've gotta run to BJJ class now, but I'll look for a video to post here when I get back.

i agree for low percentage moves but both passes are very basic. i don't see anything wrong with the person getting down the concept from either place, using it, and having someone more advanced tweak it for them.

What if they still get the basics wrong because they are white belt level?

What if they still get the basics wrong because they are white belt level?

im taking it the OP is white belt level too. so without someone showing him in detail adjusting what HE is doing wrong he will be getting the basics wrong too. it goes back to what most of us agree about (or most of us argue about).. you need to be in a legit gym in front of a legit instructor to really make the most of your game. watching youtube videos all day isn't going to do much for you regardless the quality.

then again im not on your level lechien or even redaxe.. i can watch my wife's cats fight in the living room and try to incorporate it into my game.

You can find the knee slice guard pass shown on youtube by BJJ BB.

Back