Good and reasonably priced brands for Muay Thai shorts

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Randy Marsh, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Randy Marsh

Randy Marsh by armbar

Just started training Muay Thai and looking to purchase some extra shorts for training. What are some good brands I can look into that have quality shorts without a high price tag? I really like Yokkao shorts and some Fairtex stuff, but don't want to pay that much right now. Happy to upgrade down the road but want to keep it a little more cost friendly as a beginner just starting out.

Thanks in advance!

shincheckin likes this.
  2. Minowafanatic

Minowafanatic Black Belt

Where in the world are you based?

Tbh I'd guess any shorts would do but maybe other peeps will disagree, as my background is in boxing.

3. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

like the other guy just said, it depends on where in the world you are.

Yokkao is the most expensive of all brands, and your just paying for the name.

If you want satin shorts your looking at anywhere from $30-60 regardless of brand (aside from yokkao)

If you want Nylon shorts you can get them for much cheaper. Thaiboxing brand shorts are about $10 each from muaythaifactory.com

If you order directly from Thaismai, their nylon shorts are about $10 each as well, and are much higher quality than the Thaiboxing brand. For comparison, my Thaiboxing brand shorts wear out in about 1 year or so of training. My Thaismai shorts last several years.

4. Randy Marsh

Randy Marsh by armbar

Thanks for chiming in and appreciate the info! I’m located in the San Francisco Bay Area, BTW.

shincheckin likes this.
  5. Championstuff

Championstuff Brown Belt Platinum Member

Regardless of which brand you choose, make sure you consult each brands sizing charts as Thai shorts run super duper small and if you are larger, it would not be out of the realm of possibility to wear xxxl or xxl

6. horc00

horc00 Purple Belt

https://www.shortsmuaythai.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/muaythaishortsboxing/

Their shorts are the most affordable I've found and quality is pretty decent. And they do custom designs too.

BUT... there might be some communication difficulty as English isn't their first language so there's a risk the size might be off. And they tend to not put in too much attention into details for custom shorts.

7. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

i have ordered gear from a majority of the muay thai websites over the years. I find muaythaifactory to be the best IMO.

https://www.muaythaifactory.com/muay-thai-shorts.asp

Nonducor and Championstuff like this.
  8. Championstuff

About how long is shipping on average? I live in the Pacific Northwest and am interested in some stuff on that site but worry it will take a long time

shincheckin likes this.
  9. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

if its in stock they ship very quickly, amazingly fast. This is why I prefer them over muaythaifighting.com.............muaythaifighting never has anything in stock so it takes like 2 months to get whatever you order.

I have had better service from muaythaifactory than muaythaistuff actually.

10. Bernard Bar

Bernard Bar White Belt

Try lumpinee brand out of amazon , great quality and looks without the fairtex price tag

never enough likes this.
  11. Cageside

Cageside Blue Belt

12. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

The Boon Sport site has retro shorts for $25. They have the best satin IMO.

13. Championstuff

I just bought a pair of Lumpinee shorts on amazon for $28. They look exactly like the Fairtex slim cut shorts in the picture but won’t be able to tell until they get here. I really like the fit of the retro style shorts.

14. -guerilla-

-guerilla- Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993

Just remember Muay Thai shorts are super tiny a triple extra large is about a 32in American...

Does anybody make a real American size Muay Thai short? In fact it's hard to find big man's gear in any category Thai /MMA, seems like they max out at a 42 inch waist

15. -guerilla-

-guerilla- Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993

Shorts are the cheapest Muay Thai equipment. In fact you can spend more on your mouthpiece...shin guards headgear and gloves including bag gloves (you don't want to ruin your sparring gloves) are going to cost you the most by far

16. opposity

opposity Yellow Belt

You are righr my friend. You can literally buy decent quality muay thai shorts by Han for like 12 dollars