Gone with the Wind: Anyone here actually sat down and watched it?

Its my mothers favorite movie and my choice for most aesthetically impressive color film, probably until 2001 came out 30 years after.

Its also directed by Victor Fleming, who directed The Wizard of Oz in the same fucking year, on top of having a killer last name.

Its also directed by Victor Fleming, who directed The Wizard of Oz in the same fucking year, on top of having a killer last name.

Holy shit :eek:, those two epic classics in one year back to back? That's a thread right there, best back to back movies of all time by a Director. He has to be right up there, not even sure anyone could come close to that back to back much less the same year. Great fact.

I'm late to this party.

Took me like 6+ sittings of chipping away at it to finish but I finally got through it... good/great movie, I might never watch it again for 20 years but who knows. I can appreciate it for what it is and certainly one of those movies that should never be touched or dared remade, it's a time capsule film.

In my opinion Gone With the Wind was massively ahead of its time. I'm not a classic film buff, or any sort of film buff, but I haven't seen anything nearly as old that gets me anywhere near as interested in a character as I was in Scarlett. I haven't seen every great film, but I'm unaware of a richer character in film.

Plus the film's pacing is amazing. The sheer amount that happens over those four hours is more than most "great" television shows these days (or any days) cram into an entire season. Both the changing world and Scarlett's own story move quickly, and they're interwoven seamlessly.

One way I'm the opposite of you is that when I sit down to watch Gone with the Wind, I'm not moving for four hours. A true masterpiece. The only film I've seen anywhere near as old that holds up anywhere near as well is 12 Angry Men, for completely different reasons.

I'm a film student at the university here, but the classics have always been something of a blind spot for me. I've seen a handful, like The Sound of Music, His Girl Friday, Citizen Kane, The Wizard of Oz, and a few others. But there are several others that I still haven't sat down for. Casablanca, Sunset Boulevard, Lawrence of Arabia, just about anything made by Hitchcock, and Gone with the Wind fall into this latter group.

I need to watch more classics and more foreign films.

You are a film student and not have seen Casablanca or most hitchcock???

Casablanca surprised me at how much I liked.
And Hitchcock, just make sure you watch Vertigo.

When my brothers and I were kids, we'd play this game on road trips where we would try to find the movie title that would make the most epic description of someone farting.

"Gone with the Wind" always scored high.

When my brothers and I were kids, we'd play this game on road trips where we would try to find the movie title that would make the most epic description of someone farting.

"Gone with the Wind" always scored high.

"Big Trouble in Little China"??

Saw it in a theater recently for anniversary. Good stuff, didn't expect it to be such a downer ending but I like that. Morale was basically don't fall in love, get married or give a Got Damme.

Holy shit :eek:, those two epic classics in one year back to back? That's a thread right there, best back to back movies of all time by a Director. He has to be right up there, not even sure anyone could come close to that back to back much less the same year. Great fact.

I have to admit, you've done better than me. I started watching it and decided I didn't want to chop up my viewing into bits and pieces so I'm waiting for a time when I get the Blu-Ray and sit down and watch it the whole way through.

I probably would've done it by now if not for the fact that I have a friend living with me and sleeping on my couch and that whole situation has just gotten in the way of my TV/movie watching.

In my opinion Gone With the Wind was massively ahead of its time. I'm not a classic film buff, or any sort of film buff, but I haven't seen anything nearly as old that gets me anywhere near as interested in a character as I was in Scarlett. I haven't seen every great film, but I'm unaware of a richer character in film.

Plus the film's pacing is amazing. The sheer amount that happens over those four hours is more than most "great" television shows these days (or any days) cram into an entire season. Both the changing world and Scarlett's own story move quickly, and they're interwoven seamlessly.

One way I'm the opposite of you is that when I sit down to watch Gone with the Wind, I'm not moving for four hours. A true masterpiece. The only film I've seen anywhere near as old that holds up anywhere near as well is 12 Angry Men, for completely different reasons.

That's a hell of an endorsement. Thanks for the write-up.

You are a film student and not have seen Casablanca or most hitchcock???

Casablanca surprised me at how much I liked.
And Hitchcock, just make sure you watch Vertigo.

It's true. Regarding Hitchcock, I've seen Rear Window, and I may have seen Psycho years ago but I don't remember it.

An interesting note about Casablanca though: I finished reading the script yesterday and I intend to sit down and watch the movie tonight.

I just put it on and will give it a try

It's taking forever to start

Never knew they ran the credits to the start of the film

Not to mention the word overture on the screen for like 3 mins straight

I just put it on and will give it a try

It's taking forever to start

Never knew they ran the credits to the start of the film

Not to mention the word overture on the screen for like 3 mins straight
<WhatIsThis>

You bump old thread, from many moons ago. Many people that post in thread are now dead. Why you do this?

Because I just put on gone with the wind, which is what this thread is about, so I wanted to discuss it. What are you confused about? Should I have started a thread instead? On dubs? Or should I just use the search function....

Because I just put on gone with the wind, which is what this thread is about, so I wanted to discuss it. What are you confused about? Should I have started a thread instead? On dubs? Or should I just use the search function....
I was confused that you bumped this ancient thread like there was still a conversation going. A new thread would've been fine. I think a thread twice a decade on the same movie is OK. This is fine too though.

I’ve watched it with interest. It’s best viewed with the idea that it was a great movie for the day, but weak as Hell by todays standards. I don’t much to draw the a person to those movies except as a historical novelty. The only ones that aged well were by Chaplin and Keaton, IMO.

I was confused that you bumped this ancient thread like there was still a conversation going. A new thread would've been fine. I think a thread twice a decade on the same movie is OK. This is fine too though.

I already explained I can't make threads right now. Why are you being difficult

Back