Gomi is the greatest lightweight of all time

Gomi is a can compared to Khabib. Khabib is the GOAT LW and will go down as one true GOAT.

I see. Well I only deal in reality. I don't get into prime vs prime and p4p arguments so I'll leave you to it.
How can you judge who is GOAT in a division without considering things like prime vs prime or p4p? What is the criteria you are using then?

I agree on Bader (although Rumble IDK...he obviously KO'd Bader but I think Bader has gotten better and obviously Rumble just was never motivated to stay with fighting).

Ferguson is that good, and better. He does things that are just different from anyone else. His cardio might be the best in MMA history. He has some of the best chokes in MMA. He's ultra durable and makes every guy he fights look like they were pushed into a wood chipper.

Again, we can agree to disagree. I rank Ferguson above Gomi. Not because I don't respect Gomi's greatness, but because Tony is just that good.

Yeah agree to disagree. No way Fergusson is in Gomi's tier with all due respect. Gomi would just put that guy out imo and Gomi's a better wrestler.

How can you judge who is GOAT in a division without considering things like prime vs prime or p4p? What is the criteria you are using then?
How about things that have happened in reality... lol? I've spent the past however many pages talking about what the GOAT is. Have a look.

Anyone that understands the scoring system realizes that Tibau lost handily

Oh is that right. I see.
My counter would be, anyone with a brain would understand Tibau got robbed

There was a good 6 year stretch on Sherdog where gomi was the consensus goat LW, you got laughed at for saying otherwise. These Khabib fans wouldn’t remember that tho.

I still would like to think he is up there, definitely above Khabib still, probably not #1 tho:

There was a good 6 year stretch on Sherdog where gomi was the consensus goat LW, you got laughed at for saying otherwise. These Khabib fans wouldn’t remember that tho.

I still would like to think he is up there, definitely above Khabib still, probably not #1 tho:
There was always people saying Penn would beat him again. They were probably right.

How about things that have happened in reality... lol? I've spent the past however many pages talking about what the GOAT is. Have a look.
Well lots of fighters have won titles and I wouldn't say that makes every champ equal. And Gomi lost his only title defense so I understand your criteria even less.

By your logic , if you don't compare fighters in their prime or how they'd match up and only go by titles and title defenses. Gomi is no better than any LW that has won a title in any comparable organization and worse than anyone that had successfully defended once

I was def down with the hype when he was bodying guys like Azeredo and Pulver,but some of his fights brought a very different side out,that made dislike him a bit.

1) Going berserk on Azeredo after the bell after knocking him out. He has to be pulled off him,and then he celebrates the win by climbing the ropes? How is that for remorse?

2) Trying to get the referee to stop the fight with Diaz by poiting to Diaz swollen eye. Straight up coward shit cos he was kicking your ass.

Well lots of fighters have won titles and I wouldn't say that makes every champ equal. And Gomi lost his only title defense so I understand your criteria even less.
well he won the belt,but then lost a non title fight against Aurelio. Then later defended against him and won,and then lost ANOTHER non title fight with diaz.

well he won the belt,but then lost a non title fight against Aurelio. Then later defended against him and won,and then lost ANOTHER non title fight with diaz.
They were both non-title fights? I didn't remember that. Still , I don't see how a greatest of all-time argument doesn't include other times and the only way to do that is to consider prime vs prime matchups

At least imo since divisions and skill levels fluctuate dramatically over time

They were both non-title fights? I didn't remember that. Still , I don't see how a greatest of all-time argument doesn't include other times and the only way to do that is to consider prime vs prime matchups

At least imo since divisions and skill levels fluctuate dramatically over time
Ill say this,Gomi was definitley one of the most dangerous LW's for a time. He had a level of power that is not usually seen at LW. But he was like a Belfort kind of fighter who cant really fight from underneath most of the time. He shines when he is throwin hands and eating shots for breakfeast,but when he is getting hurt and rocked and outclassed he just has this "oh shit what do i do now?" look on his face.

By your logic , if you don't compare fighters in their prime or how they'd match up and only go by titles and title defenses. Gomi is no better than any LW that has won a title in any comparable organization and worse than anyone that had successfully defended once
Takanori Gomi was the #1 ranked LW from October 1st, 2005 until June 23rd, 2008. That is nearly 3 years.
You may not like it, but that's the reality.

Last edited:
Khabib > gomi

Gomi is like LW Jeremy Stephens, but Stephens evolved and became a better fighter

Takanori Gomi the #1 ranked LW from October 1st, 2004 until July 1st, 2007. That is 3 years.
You may not like it, but that's the reality.
I think you are assuming I have some type of personal issue with Gomi where I want to deny his accomplishments. I don't, I just think it's way too simplistic to say any champ with 2 title defenses is better than a champ with only 1 or the greatest champ is whoever had the belt the longest

Of course they are factors but to make them the only factors is to say every division has been equal in skill and depth throughout the history of the sport and I think that's just silly.

Ill say this,Gomi was definitley one of the most dangerous LW's for a time. He had a level of power that is not usually seen at LW. But he was like a Belfort kind of fighter who cant really fight from underneath most of the time. He shines when he is throwin hands and eating shots for breakfeast,but when he is getting hurt and rocked and outclassed he just has this "oh shit what do i do now?" look on his face.
I agree. He had crazy power but also over-relied on it as far as a game plan.

Wished we could have seen Yves fight Gomi for that time he was in Pride.

Back