Gomi is the greatest lightweight of all time

Kenny Florian made easy work of Gomi and as far as I'm concerned Gomi was not that far out of his prime at that point. A bit past it, yeah, but not totally.

Gomi was robbed against Sanchez though.
Lol he was very past it by the time he came to the ufc. Was losing to journeymen before he came to the ufc.

Gomi
BJ

Rest

When I came to this forum back in 2015. This was a fact. The LW GOAT was BJ or GOMI.

Now in 2019 plebs discredit BJ for his losses and totally forgot about Gomi.

gomiko.gif

lmao, its sad how nuthugging a fighter can make you say such nonsense. He went 8-12 in his last 20 fights (10 years), in no world does that make you a GOAT in any weight class

You need nuance when comparing...
You know what's also a common trait between those fighters? They went a long stretch of time undefeated and were very dominant.

Khabib has 27 fights... That's almost twice the number of total BJ Penn's fights. And he won all of them, all rounds (except the one he gifted conor by playing around with him). Doesn't matter if you have to hold a belt for x amount of years if you're murking top competition without it.

Tony Ferg was never a champ and even he has a better resume than Gomi or Penn.
Until you are #1 fighter of your division you probably aren't dominating anybody of importance yet, now are you? Think about it for a second.
You can be awesome, but if you're out there beating Khamiz Mamedov nobody gives a shit and you shouldn't receive equal praise as somebody that's beating top tier fighters.

Khabib and Tony have barely fought any top tier contender fighters as of this moment and I'll illustrate that with official UFC rankings below:

Khabib has 3 top 5 victories in RDA (#5), Barboza (#4), and Conor (#2) and 2 top 10 victories in Healy (#10) and Johnson (#6).
Ferguson has 2 top 5 victories in RDA (#2) and Cerrone (#4) and 4 top 10 victories in Lee (#7), Barboza (#6), Thompson (#9), and Pettis (#8)

Neither Khabib nor Tony have defeated the level of competition former LW champions have yet. The above are UFC rankings. The organization is telling you this themselves with their own rankings.

For me, that was one of the most gut-wrenching moments of all time, I'm a huge Mach fan and he was on fire in that tournament right up until that very moment...

Yeah, same here. Was amazed that no one thought anything of it or called for the rematch when it stood out like a dogs dusters. TS seems like a poor no talent arse clown but cant help myself, had to reply and give Sakurai his due.

Only for TUF noobs. Gomi would have put Fergusson in a coffin.

I loved Gomi too, but no.

The problem is that new fans act like the past never happened and that guys like Gomie were never any good, and some fans (this is you) hold on for dear life to the notion that newer guys can never surpass the guys from the past.

Gomi would have landed on Tony, sure. In the end, Tony likely wears him down and chokes him out. You will argue otherwise, that's fine. We can disagree.

I stil remember watching Gomi beat Crusher. Gomi was dynamic and exicting, and is a legend. One of the best LW's ever. But Tony has surpassed him.

Until you are #1 fighter of your division you probably aren't dominating anybody of importance yet, now are you? Think about it for a second.
You can be awesome, but if you're out there beating Khamiz Mamedov nobody gives a shit and you shouldn't receive equal praise as somebody that's beating top tier fighters.

Khabib and Tony have barely fought any top tier contender fighters as of this moment. And I'll illustrate that with UFC rankings below:

Khabib has 3 top 5 victories in RDA (#5), Barboza (#4), and Conor (#2) and 2 top 10 victories in Healy (#10) and Johnson (#6).
Ferguson has 2 top 5 victories in RDA (#2) and Cerrone (#4) and 4 top 10 victories in Lee (#7), Barboza (#6), Thompson (#9), and Pettis (#8)

Neither Khabib or Tony have defeated the level of competition other LW fighters have yet. The above are UFC rankings. They're telling you this themselves with their own rankings.
Again, nuance.
LW division is the deepest it has ever been. Just because someone is out of the top 10 doesn't mean they are any less of a fighter, you need to objectively look at their level and skill to determine whether they are 'top competition' or not.

UFC rankings were always shit and never an indicator of a fighter's worth. This is why Conor is #3 LW when he is 1-1 and fought one time 3+ years.

Again, nuance.
LW division is the deepest it has ever been. Just because someone is out of the top 10 doesn't mean they are any less of a fighter, you need to objectively look at their level and skill to determine whether they are 'top competition' or not.

UFC rankings were always shit and never an indicator of a fighter's worth. This is why Conor is #3 LW when he is 1-1 and fought one time 3+ years.
So you're argument is that Darrell Horcher, Abel Trujillo, Thiago Tavares, Gleison Tibau, and Kamal Shalorus are amazing fighters? 'cause that's literally Khabib's entire UFC record of fighters I haven't already listed.

I'm not sure you want to go down this road friend. I could turn Douglas Lima into one of the greatest WWs ever.

So you're argument is that Darrell Horcher, Abel Trujillo, Thiago Tavares, Gleison Tibau, and Kamal Shalorus are amazing fighters? 'cause that's literally Khabib's entire UFC record of fighters I haven't already listed.

I'm not sure you want to go down this road friend.
At the very least on-par with the top competition from 10-15 years ago, yes.

I'm not sure you want to go down this road friend. I could turn Douglas Lima into one of the greatest WWs ever.

The depth of talent matters too. If the current 15th ranked fighter is clearly better than someone who was ranked 5th a decade ago, some of us take that into consideration.

That said, the guys Gomi was fighting (and beating, mostly) in Pride and Shooto are often overlooked these days. My guy Hellboy gave him his first loss though in Shooto though. Was a huge Hansen fan back in the day.

Gomi might be one of the best. It’s a shame he came to the UFC when his career was going downhill. I don’t see how anyone could say he was number 1 though.

His submission defence was always a problem though and then later his gas tank.

He might be the biggest puncher in LW history though.

Best or greatest? Two completely different things

Love BJ, but why do u make me do this

CourteousTornAvocet-size_restricted.gif

As if I couldn't post a bunch of GIFS of post-prime Gomi getting clobbered....I think this is a troll thread anyway, though.

Back