Gomi can out-box Pulver

ippikiookami

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
No one ever talks about how good Gomi's stand-up is. Gomi trains at a boxing gym in Japan, and I've heard from a guy that knows the coach there that he has no problem keeping up with Japan's best pro boxers. Apparently, boxing sees itself as "above" MMA here, so doesn't like Gomi to advertise his boxing skills, but from what I've heard he's as good a boxer as he is a grappler, and I think he'd be happy keeping the fight with Pulver on his feet (of course, his advantage over Jens is much greater on the ground, especially if he gets the quick takedown, but I think he has a very good chance of ko-ing Pulver without going to the ground).

not so sure, both are really good in stand up, but if i were Gomi i would go for take down and work from there. Gomi has an excellent Gnp and good at getting to mount.

I think Gomi is going to win this fight, but I absolutely dont think he can out-box the like of Jens Pulver. This is Lil Evil we are talking about, the guy with nasty MMA standup and a 4-0 Pro boxing record. If Gomi has a weakness then its his boxing, he is not a pro level boxer. Once again, I think he is gonna win the fight, Gomi is the man, but standing with Jens Pulver is just stupid

Jens will kick his ass boxing.

John Lewis was claimed to have some pretty unreal stand up skills and he got DROPPED by Pulver. The little dude's hands are friggen heavy and definitely something that Gomi would not want to test his chin with. I'm banking on Gomi to win this one, but it's gonna be done on the ground. If he tries to stand and duke it out, there's a very good chance that he's gonna get rocked.

BTW, did you know that Pulver is now a professional boxer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all of his fights have ended in a ko with him still undefeated.

you sir are retarded.

people think, oh his standup looks great in mma im sure he can be a pro-boxer or k-1 fighter.

no that is fucking wrong. pulver is now a pro-boxer. his boxing is light years ahead of everyone in his division, and p4p he is leagues ahead of eveyr other mma fighter in terms of boxing. gomi doesnt stand a chance in stand up. its riduclous to hear people talk about an mma fighter's stand up and compare it to a pro boxer/k-1 fighter. train stand up or actually watch boxing/k1 and ull see the vast difference.

post this exact thread in teh boxing forum where there are several extremely knowledgable people, including boxing/mma writers, and ull see whats what.

But boxing stand-up is not MMA stand-up, it is how you adapt it to fit your style. Gomi has some vicious flurries that can definitely rock pulver.

You sir are f-ing stoned - and retarded. Jens will rock Gomi's world if he boxes with him for too long. Sure, he may be able to hang with him for a little bit - but then, blam!, it'd be over.

I love Gomi, but his only chance of winning this fight is if he can somehow mount Jens. And I personally don't think Jens will let this fight go to the ground. Jens via Decision.

How old you kids? Why does everyone have to put, "you are retarded" before making their predications? You fellas are jokes.

r u serious? vicious flurries, that shit will never fly in boxing. there is quinton used technical boxing against chuck liddel and schooled him. and thats after a few months of serious boxing mechnics. pulver has been trianing pure boxing for years. anyone who thinks gomi can out box pulver needs to watch how igor did v hoost in k-1 and what cro-cop did to igor in pride. k-1 and pro boxing is a totally different level than mma.

anyone claiming otherwise, has never trained in boxing or muay thai, so they have no reaosn to tlak. botht the thread started and ratfacekid have no idea what the fuck they are tlaking about. so either start training, or quit your tkd/wing chun before you speak on this matter.

bernard hopkins can cut to fight at 155, you think gomi can take him standing?

its not a prediction, its a fact, pulver will slaughter gomi standing.

ratfacedkid said:
How old you kids? Why does everyone have to put, "you are retarded" before making their predications? You fellas are jokes.
Very good point. Maybe the thread starter just didn't know about Jens' being a boxer. Hell, I didn't know Gomi faired that well against boxers around Japan.

C'mon guys, no need to get personal.

Oh wait, "the board is created for free speech". :rolleyes:

Welcome to Sherdog pal. :eek:

GoldenDragon said:
r u serious? vicious flurries, that shit will never fly in boxing. there is quinton used technical boxing against chuck liddel and schooled him. and thats after a few months of serious boxing mechnics. pulver has been trianing pure boxing for years. anyone who thinks gomi can out box pulver needs to watch how igor did v hoost in k-1 and what cro-cop did to igor in pride. k-1 and pro boxing is a totally different level than mma.

anyone claiming otherwise, has never trained in boxing or muay thai, so they have no reaosn to tlak. botht the thread started and ratfacekid have no idea what the fuck they are tlaking about. so either start training, or quit your tkd/wing chun before you speak on this matter.

You really are an angry little kid who desperately wants everyone to know you train. We all applaud you young one!! Exactly how many times have you gotten in the ring? Probably zero, but I'm sure you watch friday night fights and then go shadowbox before mom calls you up for dinner.

Strict Nine said:
Welcome to Sherdog pal. :eek:

Gomi got rocked by Penn standing....and i know this usually doesn't mean shit but Penn got slaughtered by Jens on his feet. And jens has twice the stand up training he had then, he is also in much better shape mentally and physically....im gonna go ahead and predict Jens by KO 1st rd

ippikiookami said:
No one ever talks about how good Gomi's stand-up is. Gomi trains at a boxing gym in Japan, and I've heard from a guy that knows the coach there that he has no problem keeping up with Japan's best pro boxers. Apparently, boxing sees itself as "above" MMA here, so doesn't like Gomi to advertise his boxing skills, but from what I've heard he's as good a boxer as he is a grappler, and I think he'd be happy keeping the fight with Pulver on his feet (of course, his advantage over Jens is much greater on the ground, especially if he gets the quick takedown, but I think he has a very good chance of ko-ing Pulver without going to the ground).

You heard from a guy that said he knows the coach? hmmmm. Does that mean you really heard from a guy that knows the coach or does it mean that you saw Gomi punch somebody once and you think he's the shit so you had to make up a story about a guy and his coach?

I agree with everybody else, Pulver's standup is much better than Gomi's. I know boxing and MMA are different, but Jens has proved his MMA standup in the past as well.

People like golden dragon piss me off... boxing in MMA rules and queensbury rules or whatever they are called are completely diofferent, the best MMA boxers will beat actual boxers with their fists in an MMA ring, i bet fedor would own lots of boxers with his striking, he will come in with his big hands and take them down, can;t take down in boxing and so fedors game wouldn;t work, boxing is overated.

GoldenDragon said:
its not a prediction, its a fact, pulver will slaughter gomi standing.
geez i hope gomi high kicks Pulver like Ludwig did juss so u can shut up on how great of a boxer Pulver is. Plus i wouldnt take a persons word who thinks that Vitor Belfort is the best LHW fighter :rolleyes:

Back