Golovkin vs Hopkins at Golovkinweight.

If it's established that the two fighters are already in the same weight class the catchweight seems a bit ridiculous. Outside the weight class? Yeah sure, that's why they are there. Hopkins hasn't been a middleweight for, what, ten years? I think two weight classes separating him and GGG merits a catchweight.

I would really like to see Hopkins vs Stevenson, though, to be completely honest....

If it's established that the two fighters are already in the same weight class the catchweight seems a bit ridiculous...
I already posted 2 examples of that ridiculousness that were huge fights.

Golovkin agrees to the catch weight or there'll be no fight. Thats pretty much how it is, like it or not.

Golovkin vs Hopkins will be more competitive than Glolovkin vs Canelo.
No it won't. Don't say that shit just because you know its probably going to happen instead of Canelo. Hopkins doesn't have it anymore. Thats a ridiculous fight. I can't think of someone I'd like to see Golovkin fight less than Hopkins. 10 years ago, maybe even 5, Hopkins would have probably outboxed him. Not today.

The catchweight would theoretically make sense seeing as Golovkin/Hopkins is a MW vs LHW fight (although, Hopkins is below 180 pounds year round these days and is smaller than most SMWs and probably similar to most MWs when we get right down to it). It's not the same situation as Canelo/Golovkin. If you wanted to show that Golovkin is a prize fighter who thinks money first just like anyone else, the time when he said he was willing to fight essentially any SMW but Andre Ward at 168 (he demanded a 164 pound catchweight for Ward and, let's be honest, his camp wasn't really ever interested in that fight) is probably a better example.

I mentioned the Ward example as well.

I'm not sure what the issue is here. No to one catch weight fight but yes to another. I don't see a difference. Canelo did it to get his super fight. Golovkin is willing to do it for Ward or Hopkins but not Canelo? Come on.

Come on now seano this is getting pretty bad.

It really looks like your trying super hard to be right. I mean your trying to spin this as something that it's not Hopkins is way bigger than canelo and ggg while canelo is the same size as ggg.

If it was ggg making the demands that canelo is to fight ward at 163 while holding the super mw belt then I doubt you would be defending ggg like you are canelo.

But I'm sure this whole thread is just your troll job.

I'm not sure what the issue is here. No to one catch weight fight but yes to another. I don't see a difference. Canelo did it to get his super fight. Golovkin is willing to do it for Ward or Hopkins but not Canelo? Come on.

Yeah canelo did it when he was already I big ww fighting floyd who could easily fight at 140. It's not the same floyd is smaller than canelo that's why their was a catch weight canelo is the same size as ggg. And says he is not a mw.

I don't know why you guys are talking about me. I didn't propose this awful catch weight thing. Weren't we all talking about how ridiculous catchweights were not that long ago? And wasn't it me who said I personally don't give a shit about catchweights? Pretty sure it was.

So you guys have no problem if Golovkin passes on Canelo over a couple of pounds but asks 51 year old Hopkins to sweat down to 168 or whatever? Some hypocrisy here.

You aren't stupid.

There is a difference between having THE LINEAL MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BELT and trying to get THE MANDATORY FIGHTER to drop down from THE MIDDLEWEIGHT LIMIT for some stupid cheesedick advantage and proposing a catchweight for fighters a few weight divisions apart.

You know this. Everyone knows this.

Well, in one instance both fighters technically compete at the same weight, or, in an extreme and misleading interpretation of things, they fight in slightly different weight classes (not to mention the lineal MW title being at stake and so on). The Hopkins/Golovkin and Golovkin/Canelo situations simply aren't the same. However, there are excuses that are frequently made for Golovkin in the Ward negotiations that many of these same people would never grant if the shoe was on the other foot. Still, that fact in no way justifies Canelo asking for a catchweight that isn't necessary to begin with (and, eventually, I think both sides are likely to get past it and we'll get the fight so whatever).

A little off topic, but to it sort of seems like what Canelo's camp is doing isn't entirely different from what Mayweather did to him in their negotiations (not that the weight realities were similar as Canelo and Mayweather are legitimately about 20 pounds different, whereas there is very little size difference between Canelo and Golovkin). Golovkin has claimed in the past that he's willing to go to 154 to make big fights just like Canelo claimed he was willing to go down to 150 to fight Mayweather (even if it was said a few years before from my memory). Mayweather then held that against him and tried to argue he was giving Canelo a break by allowing the fight at 152 (using Canelo's past statements against him as justification). As previously said though, Mayweather could actually justify a catchweight seeing as the two men were typically about 20 pounds apart on fight night going by their few previous fights. There is no significant weight difference between Canelo and Golovkin on fight night and no real reason to pursue a catchweight outside of trying to gain as much as possible in negotiations for Canelo (as far as I see it, anyway).

The one thing that you do have right here is that Canelo and Golovkin are not on equal footing in negotiations. Golovkin's clearly the smaller draw and his window to become a genuine star and establish himself as a potential ATG is closing. If I were him, I'd probably do as many other greats have had to do in the past and essentially do everything to make the fight. However, the realities of the situation don't mean we let Canelo off the hook for his bullshit.

Funny thing about this is they're willing to come at 168 against popkins but they had a boatload of excuses against Andre Ward

Funny thing about this is they're willing to come at 168 against popkins but they had a boatload of excuses against Andre Ward

Uhh I'm pretty sure they said catch weight for Hopkins not 168.

As for Ward a lot of people kinda expected ggg to move up and fight ward in his first fight at smw and if he did not he was ducking. But ward gets like 2 tune ups before fighting kovalev but people lost their shit when ggg wanted to fight Chavez Jr at 168 before fighting ward.

Yeah i can agree with that, it was lame that he asked him to come to 164 as well, but it still isnt as lame as asking someone in the SAME weight class to drop 5 pounds and if he doesnt he will drop the LINEAL title lol.

See, you guys are all confusing your romantic idea of how boxing should work and intentionally ignoring that boxing does not work that way.

Several big championship fights in recent years have been at catch weights. Fact.

Canelo is a star, Golovkin really isn't. Most agree with this. Canelo is the bigger name.

Golovkin said no catch weight. It disrespects boxing.

Abel Sanchez said no "Canelo weight."

Now he we are talking about a potential Golovkin catch weight fight that will happen because Golovkin will turn down a different catch weight fight.

Golovkin also wanted Ward at a catch weight. And Floyd.

Catch weights are irrelevant to me. I really don't care one way or the other. BUT when a guy who has no great opponent to fight other than a guy who is definitely going to call the shots when they go to the negotiating table tells the guy no before they even discuss it but then is looking at fighting a different guy , an easier fight, under similar terms then something is off there.

I want to see the fight. I don't care what you guys think the rules should be about fighting for a title at a catch weight because there are no such rules. You're all telling yourselves what you want to hear.

IF Golovkin crosses his arms and says "nope" to everything Canelo demands then there is no fight. Even if you guys all say "well I really think it should be 160!' it still won't happen. Golovkin has mentioned 3 different guys in recent months that he would fight at catch weights, but not Canelo. I have to wonder why he won't consider a catch weight for this one fight. I'm not sure why you guys don't .

The other thing is, you guys all seem to believe that if Golovkin doesn't accept Canelo's terms, that he is some sort of moral winner. Well, good for him. Thats all he is. The fans don't get the big fight. Golovkin doesn't get the big fight. Canelo moves on and continues to be a big star and Golovkin fights an old man at a catch weight in a fight that no one will give a shit about but hey, at least he didn't fight at a catch weight vs Canelo! Woot!

We all lose and you all seem fine with it.

Well, in one instance both fighters technically compete at the same weight, or, in an extreme and misleading interpretation of things, they fight in slightly different weight classes (not to mention the lineal MW title being at stake and so on).
OK, can you guys get past the "They are in the same weight class!" nonsense? We are all aware that they are both middleweights. This is no revelation. Every one of you guy had said that same dumb shit over and over.

I guarantee not one of you can show me anything from any rule book that says a championship fight cannot be contested at a CW. I truly am flabbergasted that so many of you are pretending that this is not how it is. Its ridiculous. No one gives a fuck how you think it SHOULD be. Its not that way.

Floyd was a reigning JMW champ when he fought Canelo at a CW. Cotto was a champ at welter when he fought Pac at a CW at welter too. Sergio Martinez fought at a CW for the MW championship. I mean, did you guys forget all these fights? There's a precedent here. Several of them.

Catch weights are a thing in boxing today. They just are. Sorry.

You guys realize that if Golovkin turns down this fight, he gets nothing, right? No title, no payday, no super fight opponent, there is nothing left at MW for the guy. Its ridiculous to take a stand against CWs when you've asked for catch weights yourself, then turn down a big fight over a CW but then talk about making a different catch weight fight.

Last edited:
If Canelo dumps his belt becasue of weight he is ducking, get over it already. You are starting to become "emotional", it's becoming embarrassing LOL.

Yeah i can agree with that, it was lame that he asked him to come to 164 as well, but it still isnt as lame as asking someone in the SAME weight class to drop 5 pounds and if he doesnt he will drop the LINEAL title lol.
Hey, maybe you should give Canelo a call and let him know that he and Golovkin are in the same weight class. I'm sure that'll out an end to this catch weight stuff. He probably doesn't know that a bunch of guys on a forum want Golovkin to get the fight under his terms. :rolleyes:

If Canelo dumps his belt becasue of weight he is ducking, get over it already. You are starting to become "emotional", it's becoming embarrassing LOL.
I doubt he will lose his belt if Golovkin walks away. this is what I've been saying over and over. Canelo loses nothing if Golovkin walks.

Hey, maybe you should give Canelo a call and let him know that he and Golovkin are in the same weight class. I'm sure that'll out an end to this catch weight stuff. He probably doesn't know that a bunch of guys on a forum want Golovkin to get the fight under his terms. :rolleyes:
Maybe you should give GGG a call and tell him Canelo has more money than him and fans, plus he's a PPV start so he will take the fight haha.

Maybe you should give GGG a call and tell him Canelo has more money than him and fans, plus he's a PPV start so he will take the fight haha.
I hope he ends up seeing it this way so we get to see the fight. I don't see Canelo and Golden Boy bowing down to Golovkin. Hopefully Golovkin puts the silly moral stand aside and makes this fight the fans want to see, like other great champions have done in the past.

I guess you guys would pass on the fight before seeing Golovkin concede. I want to see the fight.

Back