Golovkin vs Geale 7/26 at MSG

Do you know the definition of a step up?

Daniel Geale is a more accomplished fighter then any of GGG's previous opponents.

Geale is a top 5 MW, he is ranked as the #1 contender by ring and used to hold the IBF and WBA titles.

This is by definition a step up in competition for GGG.

If you dont consider Geale as a step up in comp at MW then who would be in your opinion?

I decided to wait for the fight and have the result be the anawer instead of answering and getting into a pointless debate. This is what I meant when i said people expectations for Geale were crazy.

I decided to wait for the fight and have the result be the anawer instead of answering and getting into a pointless debate. This is what I meant when i said people expectations for Geale were crazy.

People expecting a competitive fight between two top ranked MWs was "crazy?"

Hero worship will set you up for big disappointment in the future.

If GGG demolishes Geale is he the #1 MW in your eyes?

Is he P4P top ten?

Jesus Christ, #1 for smashing Geale?

Come on. GGG is good and after his fight with Geale I came out a little more impressed, but no way in hell am I crowning him King for that.

I still cant get on the GGG train until I see some opposition that can put up some resistance.

Last edited:
Just watched fight, thank you Max. Geale didn't have the punching power to keep GGG off him, thank you Max. Max, thank you, GGG and Cotto would be ideal but late in his career looking for money fights, Cotto won't be looking to get in there with GGG.

Come on. GGG is good and after his fight with Geale I came out a little more impressed, but no way in hell am I crowning him King for that.

I still cant get on the GGG train until I see some opposition that cant put up some resistance.

Pretty much what I think. He has power, yes. And good offensive technique, yes.

But power punchers always get fans more excited than they really should be. Geale was a good logical step up fight against a durable, tricky middleweight, but no one on the planet had Geale anywhere close to a pound for pound list, so a guy shoudn't rocket on to the pound for pound rankings by beating him.

Golovkin hasn't fought the competition to be considered a pound for pounder yet.

As for the MW ranks, Cotto is the top MW right now, like it or not. He beat the champ of the division in dominant fashion. Sergio was a bigger and better name than anyone Golovkin has fought.

Golovkin may be the future, but the future isn't here yet.

Pretty much what I think. He has power, yes. And good offensive technique, yes.

But power punchers always get fans more excited than they really should be. Geale was a good logical step up fight against a durable, tricky middleweight, but no one on the planet had Geale anywhere close to a pound for pound list, so a guy shoudn't rocket on to the pound for pound rankings by beating him.

Golovkin hasn't fought the competition to be considered a pound for pounder yet.

As for the MW ranks, Cotto is the top MW right now, like it or not. He beat the champ of the division in dominant fashion. Sergio was a bigger and better name than anyone Golovkin has fought.

Golovkin may be the future, but the future isn't here yet.

Well I'd rather have GGG on the p4p list than Lomachenko who is 2-1 (and some people were talking about putting him on the p4p list after he beat Gary Russell).....That's for sure

But I agree with you 100 percent....Neither deserve to be on any p4p list right now....GGG maybe in the future, but he needs 1 or 2 more big wins...Against the likes of Ward, Chavez Jr, Cotto etc...

Just watched fight, thank you Max. Geale didn't have the punching power to keep GGG off him, thank you Max. Max, thank you, GGG and Cotto would be ideal but late in his career looking for money fights, Cotto won't be looking to get in there with GGG.

thank you max, is box max, thank you.

I still cant get on the GGG train until I see some opposition that can put up some resistance.

Who should be #1 at MW right now then? Very curious and how you can possibly find a better candidate then GGG.

Cotto is lineal and on paper you could call him #1, but everyone knows GG would smash him. Who has Quillen fought? Who else is there?

Cotto would be smart to stay well away from GGG imo. Cotto is easier to hit flush than Geale and look what happened there.

Cotto would be smart to stay well away from GGG imo. Cotto is easier to hit flush than Geale and look what happened there.

I think it'd be a good fight. I really don't think Cotto could handle the power, but it'd be interesting to see if he could back Golovkin up.

Then again, Golovkin looked huge against Geale. The size difference could make it a bit of a mismatch.

People expecting a competitive fight between two top ranked MWs was "crazy?"

Hero worship will set you up for big disappointment in the future.

Its not hero worship, its simple observation, one quick look at Geale's style, accomplishments, talent and fight videos and anybody not Australian should know he had zero chance to even make it competitive, i had money on GGG getting the KO in either 4, 5 or 6...im didsapointed at Geale's lack of heart, even i expected more from him.

i think he knew he was done, he didn't look great when he got back up. one more from GGG (which would have come quickly) and he'd be back down again. Why take the punishment?

Who should be #1 at MW right now then? Very curious and how you can possibly find a better candidate then GGG.

Cotto is lineal and on paper you could call him #1, but everyone knows GG would smash him. Who has Quillen fought? Who else is there?

#1 should be Cotto.
He just beat the reigning champ in good fashion. Dropped Sergio 4 times, with 3 in the first round.

GGG looked good against Geale, but come on. Not that big of a deal.

Lets see GGG take on Martinez with the winner getting a shot at the winner of Cotto-Canelo

I am sure it's safe to assume Gennady gets passed Solimon. I want to see him against Quillin. Two young undefeated champs. The winner would have a huge victory for their career and force Cotto for a match or vacate.

So your answer is if there are fringe idiots out there overrating him, then he's still a hype job?

Let's put it this way. If GGG demolishes Geale is he the #1 MW in your eyes?

Is he P4P top ten?

I think it's hard to really name a definitive #1 MW at the moment. Personally, I think Golovkin is the best at the weight, right now, but it will take a few more wins to really solidify that claim. He might be on the low end of a p4p list if I were to make one.

I am sure it's safe to assume Gennady gets passed Solimon. I want to see him against Quillin. Two young undefeated champs. The winner would have a huge victory for their career and force Cotto for a match or vacate.

I don't even want to see GGG waste time with Solimon.
Solimon has no shot, rather GGG just fight Quillin in the winter and move on to Cotto after.

Quillin is even worse than soliman .

soliman atleast beat a live body in sturm .

I think it's hard to really name a definitive #1 MW at the moment. Personally, I think Golovkin is the best at the weight, right now, but it will take a few more wins to really solidify that claim. He might be on the low end of a p4p list if I were to make one.

Cotto is lineal, but as we know that isn't always everything. I think GGG would be all sorts of bad for him right now.

Back