Golden question

pbrooks

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for a gym to train Muay Thai, prefer the quite Phuket over Bangkok to stay and learn the art. Early 30's, Aussie and over the party days, been there done that so keen to knuckle down and train. Visited Thailand a few times over the past decade and feels like a second home so adjusting to weather/culture is not an issue. Have done very little martial arts training but always been doing weights, cardio and keeping fit. Never worn a pair of gloves previously but have done very little BJJ. Muay Thai has grown on me big time this last visit and want to start training.

Tried to google Muay Thai in Thailand as well as look for reputable camps. Tiger was first and from a professional view, great cashcow! I worked in marketing and for the average weekend warrior this camp seems perfect, throw GSP's name in the mix and boom "number 1 on google". I was lucky to visit the Muay Thai Institute and honestly would rather throw my money at the guys in the front shops for new tyres! Piece of paper in a frame would look great on the shelf next to my Lost DVD collection but lesson learned there.

So question is now to find a good gym, anywhere in Thailand is fine, money not a concern and length of stay would be 1-3months at a time. End goal is to be fighting, training and really dedicate my time to the gym. Very driven and focused on goals to achieve, right now it's to train Muay Thai.

On a side note, any Aussie's wanting to visit this country go for it. It's madness and Bangkok is just insane, best advice is to learn the word "No" and don't rent a motorbike in Bangkok! Every visit at least an accident, man its crazy!

Cheers!

In Phuket there are many camps which suit your needs.

The gyms that produce Lumpinee fighters in Bangkok are probably too hardcore for you (no pun intended). You're a beginner in muay thai and the training regime is really hard.

I've seen many people go to Thailand with the intention to train 2 times a day, but after 3 days they just trained once a day, because they had to recover.

You should check:
Sinbi, Rawai, Singpatong.

Can't go wrong there.

In Phuket, especially for a beginner, Sinbi is the way to go. For more experienced individuals, Singpatong Sitnumnoi is where it's at. Almost all the other gyms on the island are tourist party gyms.

Could you PM me a bit of info about Sinbi??? I would really appreciate it, I cant seem to find a whole lot of info about it. I also havnt met anybody who has been. Ive got about 3 years EXP but am headed to THailand this winter for a few weeks training.

Could you PM me a bit of info about Sinbi??? I would really appreciate it, I cant seem to find a whole lot of info about it. I also havnt met anybody who has been. Ive got about 3 years EXP but am headed to THailand this winter for a few weeks training.

A number of forum members here have trained numerous times at Sinbi: Deathstriker and Ryukyu Damashi come to mind at this instant. They'll be able to give you the most up-to-date info about Sinbi since they've both been there this year. :)

Back