Golden Age of MMA: Who is left?

You guys talk like this is Fedor's first retirement. Did it hit you as hard the first time he retired?

No, lots of other Pride/early ufc guys were still around. Now they are all gone. Fedor's retirement closed the book on the greatest era of MMA.

If we're talking early 2000s. There is only 1 cat left ......and still very relevant until hes not - Gegard Mousasi.

Lyoto still here too but hes just collecting checks and on the cusp exiting .

I might be missing someone .

Even before last week , Fedors fight durability has long left the building. I was actually pissed watching him go out like that .
That was ridiculous

Edit- Robbie still fighting

Barnett had a fight in new years eve in Japan.

It wasn’t an MMA fight. I’m sure he’s done with MMA as I don’t think he wants to do a full extensive fight camp, but he will still do some Ganryujima, grappling and pro-wrestling matches.

With Fedor finally retiring, I started to wonder who was still out there fighting. They don't have to be legends, but at least present during MMA's glory days. I haven't followed the sport in years, so there may actually be quite a few.

I noticed Daisuke Nakamura booked for a fight soon.

Any others?

Andrei Arlovski as someone has already mentioned.

Aside from those mentioned, off the top of my head, Hideo Tokoro and Bibiano Fernandes are still fighting. Also, I don't think Oleinik has officially retired.

incredibles-elimination.gif

Hector Lombard I think signed with Eagle after some bare knuckle fights. 0-2 in pride to Gegard and Gono

It was weird they were fighting inside of 4 posts lol

It wasn’t an MMA fight. I’m sure he’s done with MMA as I don’t think he wants to do a full extensive fight camp, but he will still do some Ganryujima, grappling and pro-wrestling matches.

Ganryujima is MMA by any reasonable definition and should be shown on official MMA records.

Don't dismiss it because it has a moat guys ok?

Last edited:
You didn't define golden age, so I'm gonna assume you are referring to the PRIDE days?

Mousasi and Aoki were not huge stars but we're known and had decent runs in PRIDE. They're both still fighting MMA on big shows.

gomi, mousasi, hunt, imanari, akiyama, aoki, minowa man, all still somewhat active. but man this fedor retirement has hit hard. it is all over.

Hunt didn't do mma in a year or tree. He did a retirement boxing bout I think.

Sergei Kharitonov burst onto the scene during the PRIDE heavyweight GP in 2004 reaching the semi finals (peak of the golden age) he's still fighting and looking pretty decent for a old heavyweight.

its pretty likely by 2030 most if not all of the fighters from Pride, Strikeforce, Dream, etc will be retired. end of an era

Back