Golden Age of MMA: Who is left?

Bluesbreaker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
With Fedor finally retiring, I started to wonder who was still out there fighting. They don't have to be legends, but at least present during MMA's glory days. I haven't followed the sport in years, so there may actually be quite a few.

I noticed Daisuke Nakamura booked for a fight soon.

Any others?

You guys talk like this is Fedor's first retirement. Did it hit you as hard the first time he retired?

Cant think of any now. :(

Nick Diaz I believe is the last PRIDE alumni in the UFC (fought on PRIDE's last PPV). Robbie Lawler who is not a PRIDE alumni but from the same era is still fighting in the UFC as well.

If we are talking about DREAM/Sengoku/WEC/SF era guys then there are probably still too many fighters to name. A lot of those Japanese fighters are still in Rizin. Jorge Masivdal is in the UFC and has been booked in a major fight. Aoki is in ONE. Overeem (established PRIDE alumni as well) is going to fight for KSW and is still kickboxing. Dom Cruz (WEC alumni) still has a fight or two left in him. Demetrius Johnson is the ONE champion and not going anywhere any time soon.

Last edited:
Lombard signed for KSW recently. Aoki and Okami both still fight in ONE. Zuluzinho still shows up randomly from time to time.

I don't think Josh Barnett has officially retired yet but he hasn't fought in ages.

Yuki Kondo still fights.

Nick Diaz I believe is the last PRIDE alumni in the UFC (fought on PRIDE's last PPV). Robbie Lawler who is not a PRIDE alumni but from the same era is still fighting in the UFC as well.

Robbie Lawler and Nick Diaz has the same amount of PRIDE fights, one. He Flying Knee KO'd Joey Viliserano at Pride 32

If we are talking about DREAM/Sengoku/WEC/SF era guys then there are probably still too many fighters to name. A lot of those Japanese fighters are still in Rizin. Jorge Masivdal is in the UFC and has been booked in a major fight. Aoki is in ONE. Overeem (established PRIDE alumni as well) is going to fight for KSW and is still kickboxing. Dom Cruz (WEC alumni) still has a fight or two left in him. Demetrius Johnson is the ONE champion and not going anywhere any time soon.
Lawler fought in PRIDE: Real Deal, I think. He’s just generally not known as a PRIDE guy.

Fighters from the post-PRIDE era are still active, even successful. Remember, the Pitbull brothers were well known when SF/WEC/Sengoku were still around. Michael Chandler won his first Bellator title against Eddie Alvarez when DREAM/Sengoku/SF were active. Dustin Poirier fought in WEC. Benson Henderson is up for a title shot this coming March.

But in all honestly, I don’t expect anyone from that era to be around by 2028 (five years from now). Makes me sad to think about. I think the Reebok era guys and beyond will last much longer in the sport due to better training methods and mitigating stupid training habits like hard sparring and doing 300 lb leg extensions like Cain did.

Last edited:
Lawler still has great athletic ability but the game has passed him by

Back