Goldberg massively underrated

Rudeboyben84

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I grew up on wrestling (in the 80s) I always loved big power move guys. Vader was my childhood hero. I lost touch with wrestling in the attitude era but recently have been watching old matches again and from time to time read posts on this forum and I don’t understand how people think Goldberg wasn’t a good in ring wrestler.

Goldberg was amazing in ring, from military presses into spine busters and that spinning neck breaker thing he has some unique moves as well as spinning head kicks etc.. he had a big arsenal of moves and crazy physical strength.

there are a lot of wrestlers who spend 95% of the match throwing punches and standard scoop slaps or suplexes that get a lot of love for their in ring ability.

I’ve never understood why Goldberg wasn’t considered as a great in ring wrestler. Sure he couldn’t cut a promo or etc but the guy could dish out crazy power moves and athletic stuff for a near 300lbs guy.

Am I missing something or why is his in ring ability shit on so often?

Dude was a protected one trick pony who get exposed by Regal.

Then he ended Bret's career with a botch.

Best monster in the past 20 years is Brock.

Goldberg ended Bret's career
Fuck him
Nah Bret ignoring his body and still wrestling for a few weeks after that is what ended his career.

I like all aspects of wrestling so a character like Goldberg has his place on the card in my book.

I wouldn't say that Goldberg is underrated but...

Did I miss something there? Was Bill supposed to pull off a 5* while getting sandbagged and stiffed instead of cracking back.

Sasha Banks, Owen Hart, and D-Lo Brown did worse.

No argument. (They botched Braun.)

Forgot about the Bret incident, suppose that’s why he gets a lot of hate... much like Vader he was stiff in the ring but had a great move set.

Lesnar is great too, had the pleasure of seeing him wrestler live, even got a high five from him during his entrance (despite him being a heel!)

Braun was one of the things that got me watching a bit of wrestling again. He has a seriously shit generic finisher though.

Goldber's biggest draw back was he only worked as a destroyer. He can't have a back and forth match and be entertaining. Sure...watching him kill people with his power moves was cool on his rise to the top...but unlike guys like Vader or Brock...he never had any good matches with the other top level guys to keep you interested once he got there. I did like the Mania match with Brock though...that was fun.

Not underrated.

He should have taken that fight in Pride. Kind of wussed out.

Top 10 entrance, and top 15 image of all-time.

I grew up on wrestling (in the 80s) I always loved big power move guys. Vader was my childhood hero. I lost touch with wrestling in the attitude era but recently have been watching old matches again and from time to time read posts on this forum and I don’t understand how people think Goldberg wasn’t a good in ring wrestler.

Goldberg was amazing in ring, from military presses into spine busters and that spinning neck breaker thing he has some unique moves as well as spinning head kicks etc.. he had a big arsenal of moves and crazy physical strength.

there are a lot of wrestlers who spend 95% of the match throwing punches and standard scoop slaps or suplexes that get a lot of love for their in ring ability.

I’ve never understood why Goldberg wasn’t considered as a great in ring wrestler. Sure he couldn’t cut a promo or etc but the guy could dish out crazy power moves and athletic stuff for a near 300lbs guy.

Am I missing something or why is his in ring ability shit on so often?
Same...grew up to seeing the big guys in the 80's and very simple moves. I liked Goldberg because a few moves and got the job done.

His strength was squash matches with a look and charisma.

Other than that? Nothing.

I wonder how Goldberg would have fared in the territory days pre-84, if he'd have been an attraction, quickly in and out of a territory as a heel or if he would have put in the time to learn to work and been a face. The era Goldberg was in was very, very kind to him. It was pretty reminiscent of the Road Warriors who never looked good in back and forth affairs, but awesome look catapulted them to the top of the industry.

Goldberg could have almost been an Ox Baker type (awful worker, great look).

Pretty sure no one has done more with less than Goldberg. Good on him, but I would not call him underrated at all.

I remember watching the regal match when it happened, it just sort of looked weird, but Goldberg kept up with him well enough. What did that expose?

He was definitely only good as a destroyer, but the spear/Jackhammer was an iconic finisher.

I remember watching the regal match when it happened, it just sort of looked weird, but Goldberg kept up with him well enough. What did that expose?

He was definitely only good as a destroyer, but the spear/Jackhammer was an iconic finisher.

Regal carried him.

I’m sure he did, but I’m not sure that exposed him as anything but a guy who can be carried through a weird chain wrestling match if necessary.

Because it showed that he couldn't work anything beyond a squash match. Regal had to carry him.

Compare that to Lesnar (yes he's my favorite Beast types, but also one of best at it), who could not only squash, but hang with the likes of Angle, Benoit and Eddie without them needing to carry him. Throw in Brock's ability to carry a match with an aged Undertaker or Big Show and you see why Goldberg, while good at one facet, is not underrated at all, but rated just right: One dimensional, exciting under the right booking conditions, but weak in other areas.

Because it showed that he couldn't work anything beyond a squash match. Regal had to carry him.

Compare that to Lesnar (yes he's my favorite Beast types, but also one of best at it), who could not only squash, but hang with the likes of Angle, Benoit and Eddie without them needing to carry him. Throw in Brock's ability to carry a match with an aged Undertaker or Big Show and you see why Goldberg, while good at one facet, is not underrated at all, but rated just right: One dimensional, exciting under the right booking conditions, but weak in other areas.

Maybe Lesnar was better in his first run, but he’s become a tired act since coming back.

But yeah, goldbergs not underrated, hes a legend

Pretty sure no one has done more with less than Goldberg. Good on him, but I would not call him underrated at all.

The Ultimate Warrior is somewhere in hell saying hold my beer.

Maybe Lesnar was better in his first run, but he’s become a tired act since coming back.

But yeah, goldbergs not underrated, hes a legend

Brock read the book of Hogan. He does just enough to keep his spot and keep things mostly entertaining and not an iota more. He steps up his game when he works with better people and no one can accuse him on not carrying his end of the matches with AJ, Finn, and Daniel Bryan which were all fantastic.

Back