Gold Battle: Above The Law (1988) or Kickboxer (1989)

Choose

• Total voters
I have Under Siege as his best movie in a runaway. Second would probably by Executive Decision if that can be counted as a Seagal movie. The one where he's in a coma and Kelly LeBrock nurses him back to health would probably be #3 for me.

Out for justice is his best. It’s not even close.

Out for justice is his best. It’s not even close.

It was all right, but the William Forsythe villain wasn't very realistic. That's not on Forsythe - he breathed quite a bit of mustache twirling life into a character that had no believable motivations written for him.

But compared to the one-two punch of Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey in Under Siege, not to mention the superior plot in Under Siege... It's kind of like Franklin vs. Quarry for me.

I mean, I haven't seen Out for Justice in over a decade, but didn't William Forsythe just decide to basically bring the entire city down on his own head for no reason?

It was all right, but the William Forsythe villain wasn't very realistic. That's not on Forsythe - he breathed quite a bit of mustache twirling life into a character that had no believable motivations written for him.

But compared to the one-two punch of Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey in Under Siege, not to mention the superior plot in Under Siege... It's kind of like Franklin vs. Quarry for me.

I mean, I haven't seen Out for Justice in over a decade, but didn't William Forsythe just decide to basically bring the entire city down on his own head for no reason?

You are looking for plot in a Seagal movie?

It’s a basic revenge movie, with Seagal faking a NY Italian accent, and fucking destroying everyone in a bar scene. Plus it’s short, straight to the point, and has amazing aikido and stick fighting scenes. And him shoving a dumbass thug into a phone booth. Twice.

It’s unbeatable. Perfect. Ties with Kickboxer.

Kickboxer roundhouse kicks Above The Law so hard that it bleeds like Mai-Lee.

Rapid Fire with Brandon Lee trumps them both

Here are some fight scenes from Rapid Fire.

Last edited:
Rapid Fire with Brandon Lee trumps them both

Here are some fight scenes from Rapid Fire.

Brandon Lee had the potential to be the next big martial arts action star. I think The Crow was going to make him a mainstream star but his life was cut short much like his father.

Even “The Perfect Weapon”’ was better than above the law.

I've never rated Seagal. Takes himself too seriously and his films feel hollow as a result. Van Damme films are full of cheesy spirit.

Hit or miss, Van Damme and his movies are such characters that the only other type of movies that can go against him are Jackie Chan films.

Is it just me or was a prime Powers Boothe from RF the spitting image of Max Payne

I would like to see someone do a Under Siege vs poll on here.

Kickboxer easily.

However, Bloodsport vs. Hard to Kill would be a fun matchup.

Kickboxer.

The only Seagal movies that would I would possibly pick over Kickboxer are Marked for Death and Out for Justice

Van Damme fights better opponents in his movies & takes beating sometimes. Seagal's movies seem like products to stroke his ego since he just sits there & blocks everything.

Even “The Perfect Weapon”’ was better than above the law.
realtalk, Speakman invented the spinning backfist in The Perfect Weapon

I mean I've never seen it before, in any medium, that movie...

Speakman bless

Van Damme fights better opponents in his movies & takes beating sometimes. Seagal's movies seem like products to stroke his ego since he just sits there & blocks everything.

Seagal goes the Schwarzenegger route.

The problem is Seagal is a beanstalk so its totally unbelievable

Back