Going up in weight

BrunswickMAF

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What fighter has had the most success at going up in weight?

Penn won a belt, Silva demolished LHW, what fighter went up in weight and had the most success?

B.J Penn, won the Lightweight Championship then went up to Welterweight and won the tittle there too.

Hendo beat Big Nog and Fedor at heavyweight.

Silva demolished LHW? He beat Forrest and a journeyman in Irvin.

Jake Shields had a lot of success at MW. Beat Lawler, Hendo, and Mayhem. Prior to that, he had a win over Okami.

Overeem has been a very successful HW since jumping up from LHW.

Anthony Johnson has also been a better LHW than he ever was a WW.

Hendo also is the only man to hold two belts simultaneously in a major MMA org.

Couture won belts in both divisions but I thought he was better at HW.

I'm adding Frankie - who is smaller than most 135' lb fighters but had no choice to fight at 155 at the time.

It's hard to argue against Penn.

Whittaker is doing great since moving-up to 185, hope he gets a nice fight soon to see how far he can go.

EDIT : How could I forget Rumble ? Also Hendo would be a great choice but he moved too much between division to talk as if it was sudden step-up.

Hendo beat Big Nog and Fedor at heavyweight.

to me, Hendo is the best answer

UFC 17 MW Tourney winner

Pride Welterweight Champion (UFC MW equiv)

Pride MW Champion (UFC LHW equiv)

Srikeforce LHW Champion

Beat Big Nog and Fedor at HW

Poirier looking good atm, too bad he's fighting Duffy next.

Anderson Silva showed success at 205 with dominant wins against Irvin and Griffin.

No one has had the success cutting height that Carwin did. Although many have tried.

B.J Penn, won the Lightweight Championship then went up to Welterweight and won the tittle there too.

This is incorrect, he lost to Pulver for the lightweight belt and then challenged Hughes at welterweight.

BJ was not the lw champion when he won the ww title. He only became lw champion after the division was re-instated

Hendo gets the nod for best anyweight fighter in my opinion.

This is incorrect, he lost to Pulver for the lightweight belt and then challenged Hughes at welterweight.

This is true. Also he had another crack at the belt after Pulver vacated it, but fought Uno to a draw for the vacated belt

Penn and Couture are two main fighters that come to mind since they both actually held titles. But Penn even fought Machida at one point.

This is true. Also he had another crack at the belt after Pulver vacated it, but fought Uno to a draw for the vacated belt

That's right! I forgot about that draw with Uno. It's much easier to remember this:

Penn-Uno-KTFO.gif

Back