Social Going To Phuket, Thailand

MT7

Nuclear belt
@Green
Reaction score
What's up my sherbros and shersistas. My wife and I are going to Phuket this March for a much needed vacation. Already got the tickets and booked a spot near Kamala Beach. I mostly have the itinerary planned out, but would greatly appreciate any advice.

-We'd like to check out the elephants at an ethical place that treats them well. Any experience with Green Elephant vs Phuket Elephant Sanctuary?

-We'd like to go island hopping. We have 3 days planned: Phi Phi, Phang Nga, and Similan. Should we book them in advance via Viator or are we better off trying to book in person (any room to haggle?)? Would 3 trips be too much? Are there better islands?

-Possibly looking to get some of my health issues resolved, since it's a PITA in the US (not to mention the docs can't help me with most of them at all). I've heard that Bangkok Hospital is good to go, and they have one in Phuket. How far in advance would I need to schedule or can I walk in?

-Any street food spots near Kamala Beach where I'm most likely to enjoy the food and least likely to piss out of my ass?

-Any additional tips/advice on Thailand/Phuket? (I know the usual stuff such as don't drink the tap water, don't point feet at someone, cover up in temples, etc)

Thank you in advance, and feel free to ignore the questions and instead proceed to make ladyboy jokes, if you want. :)

beautiful place

lesser known fact, it is the # tourist destination for Russians.

Reactions: MT7
What's up my sherbros and shersistas. My wife and I are going to Phuket this March for a much needed vacation. Already got the tickets and booked a spot near Kamala Beach. I mostly have the itinerary planned out, but would greatly appreciate any advice.

-We'd like to check out the elephants at an ethical place that treats them well. Any experience with Green Elephant vs Phuket Elephant Sanctuary?

-We'd like to go island hopping. We have 3 days planned: Phi Phi, Phang Nga, and Similan. Should we book them in advance via Viator or are we better off trying to book in person (any room to haggle?)? Would 3 trips be too much? Are there better islands?

-Possibly looking to get some of my health issues resolved, since it's a PITA in the US (not to mention the docs can't help me with most of them at all). I've heard that Bangkok Hospital is good to go, and they have one in Phuket. How far in advance would I need to schedule or can I walk in?

-Any street food spots near Kamala Beach where I'm most likely to enjoy the food and least likely to piss out of my ass?

-Any additional tips/advice on Thailand/Phuket? (I know the usual stuff such as don't drink the tap water, don't point feet at someone, cover up in temples, etc)

Thank you in advance, and feel free to ignore the questions and instead proceed to make ladyboy jokes, if you want. :)

I've only been there for work trips, didn't see much really other than the bars. You can get cheap tailored suits there, I got a suit with two pairs of pants, a tailored shirt and a tie for probably $200 American I'd reckon.

And I did a training session at a Muay Thai gym there, cost about $35US for an hour with the head trainer at Sitsongpeenong, was a pretty cool experience to be honest.

Going to Thailand to resolve health issues you can't resolve in the US?

<{1-17}>

My advise. Search for the red rope...

<{ohyeah}>

All of the health issues are minor (well, the ones that I want to try to treat in Thailand, that is). Have spent over a thousand dollars (with health insurance) trying to deal with the ring worm, which is supposed to be... relatively easy to treat. My liver probably looks like an alcoholic's after a year of taking antifungal meds to no avail.

I've only been there for work trips, didn't see much really other than the bars. You can get cheap tailored suits there, I got a suit with two pairs of pants, a tailored shirt and a tie for probably $200 American I'd reckon.

And I did a training session at a Muay Thai gym there, cost about $35US for an hour with the head trainer at Sitsongpeenong, was a pretty cool experience to be honest.

Yeah, I thought about doing an MT lesson out there. I still might, if I can fit it in my schedule.

Big Buddha hill in Chalong was nice and if you're in shape you can even walk that up. Elephants can be seen close up on the side of the road when you make your way up the hill. Not sure how ethically they are cared for though.

I used both Bangkok Hospitals in Phuket last year and as I recall could walk in to see a doc but for the follow up they scheduled an appointment.

Big Buddha hill in Chalong was nice and if you're in shape you can even walk that up. Elephants can be seen close up on the side of the road when you make your way up the hill. Not sure how ethically they are cared for though.

I used both Bangkok Hospitals in Phuket last year and as I recall could walk in to see a doc but for the follow up they scheduled an appointment.

Big Buddha is definitely on my list, as is the Wat Chalong temple that is nearby. How would you rate the care at the Bangkok Hospitals?

Yaba, beer bars, jetski, Thai massage........in that order.....

Will I need to rinse and repeat the cycle after getting traumatized by the massage?

Big Buddha is definitely on my list, as is the Wat Chalong temple that is nearby. How would you rate the care at the Bangkok Hospitals?
I would say solid 9 at least for the doctor that was treating me. Re: the issue I was dealing with for long time, they had way better knowledge than Dr's in more advanced countries in Europe.

I would say solid 9 at least for the doctor that was treating me. Re: the issue I was dealing with for long time, they had way better knowledge than Dr's in more advanced countries in Europe.

Great to hear that, thanks!

<{ohyeah}>

All of the health issues are minor (well, the ones that I want to try to treat in Thailand, that is). Have spent over a thousand dollars (with health insurance) trying to deal with the ring worm, which is supposed to be... relatively easy to treat. My liver probably looks like an alcoholic's after a year of taking antifungal meds to no avail.
couldn't you just kill ring worm with vodka?

If you are there for a short time then maybe avoid certain street food. Certain stuff like raw crab or shrimp papaya salad. At least stick to food where a lot of people are also eating. Some places might have better seating etc but if they don’t have business then I wouldn’t eat there. I learned my lesson. You will find western food near Kamala beach. You are also relatively close to the redlight district. It’s where the mall is at.

The Bangkok Phuket hospital is a private one. It is good even compared to American ones. Majority of people there are foreigners. It's like an international hospital. They will take walk in. The only issue is that I haven’t been back post COVID. I heard a lot of expats left and I don’t know if they came back yet.

Back