Going from no gi to gi

^ shut up already. it is clear you have NO idea what the hell you are talking about.

just like last time I read one of your posts,

in closing:

You are an idiot.

mature. how about you share your throughts and opinions on the topic rather then attacking me

For the most part, I disagree with everything Knots619 has to say.

Those are my thoughts.

Not one bit. You do seem very closed-minded, however. Uneducated and untrained in regards to the Gi, yet very vocal about your dislike with it.

You don't know what you're missing. But something tells me you don't care.

I went from no-gi only to mostly gi a couple of months ago and I'm struggling with it. Like someone else said you'll just be laying there working a move and all of a sudden your coller is making everything go black. Much slower pace of rolling it seems too.

Not one bit. You do seem very closed-minded, however. Uneducated and untrained in regards to the Gi, yet very vocal about your dislike with it.

You don't know what you're missing. But something tells me you don't care.

i dont dislike the gi, and yes i never trained with one, so that does make me uneducated on gi training. i personally find the no gi approach to bjj a lot more useful, specific and smart in my situation.

i proably wont train gi ever because i dont have any desire to compete in gi compitions, so i guess i dont really need to educate myself on it.

dont get me wrong i do respect gi bjj.

In naga gi comps they have more restrictive rules at the lower ranks which for guys like me who don't want someone slamming a heel hook on us is a good thing.

i proably wont train gi ever because i dont have any desire to compete in gi compitions, so i guess i dont really need to educate myself on it.

Actually, that is Exactly why you should educate yourself on it, especially if you are going to pass judgment on it. How can you have an opinion on something you know nothing about?

it is like: "I hate broccoli." "Have you ever tried it?" "No" "Then how do you know you don't like it."

You really can't say "The gi is only useful for gi competitions" when you have NO idea what you are talking about.

Sure many BJJ academies are directed at sport competition. However, you seem to be unaware that there are GJJ academies that focus purely on self defense, and do incorporate strikes. Also, contrary to your opinion, you can choke someone out with the cheapest, thinnest T-shirt ever made, without tearing it. You just need to know HOW. Lastly, muggers will typically wear clothes. I think even rapists will be wearing some sort of clothing. Grabbing clothes is FAR more realistic than not grabbing clothes in a self-defense situation.

The old saying "You don't know what you don't know" proves true. Don't make statements you know nothing about is all I am saying.

Peace.

Actually, that is Exactly why you should educate yourself on it, especially if you are going to pass judgment on it. How can you have an opinion on something you know nothing about?

it is like: "I hate broccoli." "Have you ever tried it?" "No" "Then how do you know you don't like it."

You really can't say "The gi is only useful for gi competitions" when you have NO idea what you are talking about.

Sure many BJJ academies are directed at sport competition. However, you seem to be unaware that there are GJJ academies that focus purely on self defense, and do incorporate strikes. Also, contrary to your opinion, you can choke someone out with the cheapest, thinnest T-shirt ever made, without tearing it. You just need to know HOW. Lastly, muggers will typically wear clothes. I think even rapists will be wearing some sort of clothing. Grabbing clothes is FAR more realistic than not grabbing clothes in a self-defense situation.

The old saying "You don't know what you don't know" proves true. Don't make statements you know nothing about is all I am saying.

Peace.

+1 QTF

Peace.

my only point in my past statment was that i do not plan on competing in gi compitions, so why would i train with a gi? i do on the other hand compete in no gi compitions so for myself (not universily) but for myself i will stick with no gi for these reasons

All of the best no gi competitors train in the gi.

Here's my 2 cents: In high school I was on both the wrestling and judo teams (we have high school judo teams in Hawaii). I started in wrestling first, then joined the judo team because our team captain (189 lb state champ) was also on the judo team and he said that it would be a great way to get more "practice" in the off season for wrestling. I learned good stuff and also developed bad habits (from a wrestlers point of view). One of the things that I had a difficult time adjusting to was being blocked from advancing my position in ne-waza just because my opponent was holding on to me. I can see both sides of the argument, but I think that if you're training for MMA or no-gi style competitions then I wouldn't bother training with a gi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back