Going from 13-14% bodyfat to 9%

I'd really love to start lifting again... When I get the rest of this weight off, I'm gonna start hitting the weights pretty hard again. I kind of have to decide right now between lifting or doing the cardio and bodyweight stuff - I'm working two jobs plus doing about ten hours of bjj a week so I have very limited time.

If you have the time, I would try and hit the weights sooner than later. You don't have to lose the weight first, just start moving the heavy stuff. Short on time? You could do a 2 day per week routine. Just do Squat/DL one day and Bench/OHP the next. I posted something like this in another thread where a guy asked about a 2 day per week routine. It should be on page 1 or 2 of this forum. You could do that pretty fast.

Good luck!

Do 5/3/1, and finish with some kind of conditioning. Trying to lose weight without doing some kind of strength training is dumb. Especially in your case because your bodyfat % is already relatively low, you'll end up losing muscle and not fat.

This.

I can only say that for me lifting regularly did way more for losing fat than any cardio ever did.

Seriously, do some squats at least and power cleans if nothing else.

and this. x10000000%

I have in the past but it's been a while. I should probably take another test to find out. Does anyone know how accurate those hand held body fat devices are?

You mean the electric ones? Does it look something like this?

Omron%20Handheld%20Fat%20Loss%20Monitor.jpg

If so, I wouldn't think they're very accurate. I got a reading once that I was 11% BF. I don't have anything else to go on but at the time I got that, I highly doubt I was at 11% BF.

You mean the electric ones? Does it look something like this?

Omron%20Handheld%20Fat%20Loss%20Monitor.jpg

If so, I wouldn't think they're very accurate. I got a reading once that I was 11% BF. I don't have anything else to go on but at the time I got that, I highly doubt I was at 11% BF.

Yeah, that's the one... I actually used one of the scales yesterday that reads bf and it gave me an 11.2. Not sure, maybe the scale is a bit more accurate than the hand held one.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I can swing two days a week of lifting - worse comes to worse I'll just drop on bjj day.

Outside of Military presses, bench, squats, lat pull downs (or pull ups), and deadlifts, is there any other lifts I should be incorporating in to my routine?

Bioelectrical impedance doesn't really work, so you actually have no idea what your body fat is.

Bioelectrical impedance doesn't really work, so you actually have no idea what your body fat is.

I figured they were probably accurate within about two percent BF.... Are they less accurate than that?

Also, do you know what the most accurate way to measure bf is?

Use a caliper to measure, at least I think thats more accurate. You can find the tests online.

I figured they were probably accurate within about two percent BF.... Are they less accurate than that?

Also, do you know what the most accurate way to measure bf is?
It probably depends on how careful you are about hydration and things like that, but I don't think they are even close to that accurate. If you really want to know your body fat, then buy some decent calipers.

You are wise old man. I will take your advice under consideration.

The accuracy of calipers is heavily dependant on the skill of the person measuring.

The accuracy of calipers is heavily dependant on the skill of the person measuring.
Decent calipers apply the appropriate amount of pressure for you, so it is really not that hard to get accurate results. If you have calipers that require you to apply the pressure manually, you'll need more skill to get accurate results.

The other problem is calipers can't measure visceral fat.

Back