Going all-out to win in the first round is an underrated tactic

Rationality

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know that most of the top fighters game plan, train to go 5 rounds, etc. but having watched fights for years I am surprised that more fighters don't just come out of their corner willing to go all out to get a finish before the other fighter even knows what hit them. Sometimes earnest, all-out aggression from the word "fight" can bring a spectacular win. It's also seldom expected.

Many fighters get beat without ever really going all-out to beat their opponent, which I think most fight fans would agree is a worse way to lose. Gus just did that against Jones in the 2nd fight.

Just an observation, and not saying that every fighter should fight like that in every fight. The risk is gassing out or chasing and getting caught like Werdum vs. Stipe, but losing is always a risk. I just think that overwhelming force from the git-go could be used more often. Certainly it needs to be used at some point in most fights to achieve a victory. Anyone agree?

Please learn how to properly format a thread, nobody likes to read walls of text (except me I guess lol)

I kinda agree with you though.

edit: god i seem like a cunt in this dont i

Last edited:
Agreed.

UnitedBraveIvorybackedwoodswallow-size_restricted.gif

Brunson would have agreed with you at one point.

But he disagrees now.

This is why Belfort is believed by so many.

Please learn how to properly format a thread, nobody likes to read walls of text (except me I guess lol)

I kinda agree with you though.

It's called a paragraph.

Wall.

<{MingNope}><Steiner01>

Ask Alex Hernandez how that strategy worked for him against Cowboy.

I know that most of the top fighters game plan, train to go 5 rounds, etc. but having watched fights for years I am surprised that more fighters don't just come out of their corner willing to go all out to get a finish before the other fighter even knows what hit them. Sometimes earnest, all-out aggression from the word "fight" can bring a spectacular win. It's also seldom expected.

Many fighters get beat without ever really going all-out to beat their opponent, which I think most fight fans would agree is a worse way to lose. Gus just did that against Jones in the 2nd fight.

Just an observation, and not saying that every fighter should fight like that in every fight. The risk is gassing out or chasing and getting caught like Werdum vs. Stipe, but losing is always a risk. I just think that overwhelming force from the git-go could be used more often. Certainly it needs to be used at some point in most fights to achieve a victory. Anyone agree?
It's a huge risk that puts the onus on the person doing it.

The opponent need only expend enough energy to survive to the second round.

Back