gogoplata success

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jp1371, Apr 9, 2008.

1. jp1371

jp1371 White Belt

just wondering who this is working for, recently I have been nailing this move on people in my class, I think it's mainly due to my flexability but i also pull this move off fromm rubber guard.

do yall have any tips to improve this?How do you guys feel about the move?

2. Kimuralex

Kimuralex Brown Belt

just curious, but how many times have you hit a cross collar choke, an armbar, or a triangle frm guard?

3. jp1371

jp1371 White Belt

a few of each except havent really been training with a gi for about 3 months or so and havent really gone for to many cross collar chokes. also been training bjj no gi for about a year

Im not saying im a master at it im just trying to see how successfull it is for other people, also trying to see if anyone has any tips to maybe bait someone into it, or a good way to fake, anything helpfull

4. Meegle818

Meegle818 Blue Belt

well, since your nailing people with it in class maybe you can give us some advice?

5. TacWar

TacWar Green Belt

I hit the gogo on everyone with under 3 months of experience..but then again I hit armbars, arm triangles, kimuras, and collar chokes on people with more experience then me... hmm what a dilema.

6. SnowMongoose

SnowMongoose Blue Belt

the gogo is one of the few things that makes me unhappy about having big feet.
    (that and shoe related issues)

don't land it very often at all, but almost always get an omoplata attempt out of the deal, so good times.

7. SH5

SH5 Orange Belt

My hips are weird enough that I double the gogo with an armbar from guard . if teh stack me I just pull my knee out and rotate the hip to get it .. if they pull away back to straight armbar

8. IronCage**

IronCage** Banned Banned

Apparently the Undertaker has been very successful with it lately.

9. I'm not flexible enough to pull off gogoplatas, but I find it relatively easy to roll sideways out of one.

10. jp1371

jp1371 White Belt

yea this is the type of stuff i wanted to hear about, i felt like i could armbar some of the guys from this position but when they are sweaty i have a hard time maintaining grip.

11. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

I've only been able to get a tap a few times, on noobs. I'm able to set it up on bigger/advanced people just because I'm flexible, but I never finish it on them. As soon as you bring that foot up their back and then kung fu move it around their head, they know what you're doing.

12. Trickster***

Trickster*** Banned Banned

I get people in gogo's now and again...but good guys know how to defend it much better...

I also lose it once in a while bc after I pull the foot over the head (from rubber guard) I forget to keep hugging the knee and the guy limbs his arm out and is able to posture up...but when I do get it it makes me happy! =)

I was messing around with a kid in my office (yes we were in suits) and he was a wrestler so I pulled him into my guard, got rubber guard and he fell for the gogo - it was beautiful tapping out the "tough" kid in my office with a gogo...but it went totally unappreciated! lol nobody knew how nice it was!
    The other guys were like "oh you almost lost he was on top of you" ahhh the ignorance! =)

13. vegaskurt

vegaskurt Orange Belt

I got my first gogo last night... It was a little surreal since I am so new to bjj.

We were doing no gi and I completely botched an arm bar attempt (threw the wrong leg over). It was there so I went for it.

14. BJJ Padawan

BJJ Padawan White Belt

Got my first on Monday. Opponent was bigger and stronger. He was in my open guard and somehow the planets and stars aligned. He was trying to pass my guard and attempted to throw my leg over twice before I got him.

15. SH5

SH5 Orange Belt

grip the elbow ..

16. BANNANASPLEET

BANNANASPLEET Blue Belt

locked it in. but than realized am as flexible as a hard chicken. and tapped out. LULZ. too much pain on my left thigh. so i guess you do really have to be flexible

17. Ring>>Cage

Ring>>Cage Purple Belt

I'm flexible but every time I go for it I end up settling for an Omoplata for better position.

18. flikerstance

flikerstance floridaman Double Yellow Card

I almost submitted a guy in my fight with a gogoplata.

19. Krimzon

Krimzon Purple Belt

i find the best way for me is to fake an omo from guard, and if my opp tries to square back up with me, there's a shot at a gogo from there

20. Calogero831

Calogero831 Purple Belt

i like working the gogo alot. i grab the leg for rubber and it keeps the person in guard off balanced nicly. then i post on the head with the opposite hand and snake my foot through. it works well for me bc people havnt experienced it yet so they ither dont no im doin it or dont know the escape. you can also jsut let go if your having trouble and play open guard