1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Gogoplata from mount

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Freaknik**, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Freaknik**

Freaknik** White Belt

Hey all , this is my first post happy to be here.
    But , I have a question . I've been training full gi BJJ for about 5 months and im going into my first tournament today , and i was wondering if anyone has done an Aoki style gogoplata from mount . I was thinking about trying it , but i was wondering if it was illegal or just plain dumb , but i wanted to try in , because even if i dont lock it in, i have the arm trapped and can go for an armbar. inverse or regular

2. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

My teammate did one a couple tournaments ago, although he rolled to guard to finish. This being said, focusing on basic finishes will help you a lot more now with your experience level.

3. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

I believe it's sometimes considered a trachea attack. I'd double check with the tourny people first.

4. Jdonw

Jdonw Green Belt

It is perhaps the dumbest attack you can do from full mount. If you have been training 5 months, you should not attempt it, because you probably will not get it, and will be rolled, losing mount and the arm.

5. chunglii

chunglii No Me Duele Staff Member Senior Moderator

You've only been training for 5 months, so don't try it. It takes alot of skill and flexability to pull of from the guard using rubber guard, and its even harder to do from mount.

Just focus on what you know and what you've learned from your instructor. In fact, ask your instructor for a gameplan for the tournament.

6. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

this for sure

the mounted gogoplata should only be used if you've been training for atleast 2 years. even then.